Is FE a Good Option?

New to FE...full time or no time. It's that simple. The thinking is reversed. Int he beginning you must work like a dog...talk to a lot of people and learn your craft. You won't make a living starting off part time. I have yet in over 10 years, found anyone who has started off part time and transitioned into full time successfully.

Take the leap or step away from the cliff. Not trying to be a dick. Just some tough love. I get asked the "part time thing" every week.

It doesn't work. It just doesn't.

He is currently studying to be a minister.. Full time would not be an option. I have known many who started part time and transitioned to full time with success. But, if he is truly called to the ministry, that will not be an option for him.

In my experience, a manager or GA may be more inclined to tell you 'no way' you can't do this part time. Because full time folks actually depend on it for income, so they have the stick chasing them in addition to the carrot ahead.

Part time can be done, but it is very likely to suffer motivational issues. Also if you aren't doing it every day, you're always knocking off the rust, which costs sales and lead $$.

I'm currently part-time FE, i've been out 3 times since late Sept and turned in $11k+ in business. But that's a combo of upselling current book, replacing old NSF, and a few new lead presentations. But they were also done after leaving the office at 5:30pm and getting out there at 6:30pm.

For every 10 new mailer leads you get, you should sell 3 applications. Those will average $50mo. If you go 4 times a month, you'll be rusty all the time. If you go out every afternoon or at least 3 times a week, rust shouldn't be an issue.

That said. I have a very close relative who spent an entire career in the church, and is currently a tenured professor teaching budding pastors/music directors etc.
You're going to want to find a position as an assistant pastor or youth minister at a church while you attend school, and when school is out for summer, you should be out of the country on a mission trip...or at the very least some inner city or poor rural ministry.

So. If you can DEVOTE 3 days a week to hitting the field very dilligently, then yes FE can be a very good part time deal. It is quite possibly the most flexible job you could have, right up there with stuffing envelopes (but FE pays much more)

But no, you cannot leave school at 12noon, go in the field, and make it back for Weds nite choir practice at 5:30pm...once you go in the field, there can be nothing to pull you back in, except the 9pm mark. It also helps if you're not married yet lol.

Also consider, will you be able to live/work in your area after graduation? Most new pastors have to travel around to various Asst Pastor positions about every 2 years...that can go on for a bit until you land a lead pastor job that can last decades. Getting the doctorate will definatly speed up that process and land a 'better' church and longevity. But you will most certianly be leaving your 'school book' and a few 'Asst Pastor' books behind when you do this moving.

Church staff positions are cool in that they are like the CEO and COO positions of small companies. There is no clock to punch. You can come and go as you please somewhat, as long as meetings are attended and business is taken care of. So it would be a great Pastor/Insuranceman combo long term....seriously...an old pastor been there for 15 years, and also a Life Agent, and you do their funerals too...what a racket! When you retire from pastor, you'll still have people beating your door because you'll be so trusted.
(you just wont get many Agents in your congregation if the pastor is an agent lol..good luck, and stay away from the dead girls and live boys)

Well I will most likely end up being an asst pastor at my current church for a while. So I will be staying in place for 5 years +. That could change obviously, but that's how it's looking.

After next semester I will only be taking 6 hrs my last two semesters, so I should be able to work 40 hrs + starting this summer. It would just be weird hours. I've read about a couple of guys on these forums that run appts 2 days a week from 9-9 and do admin/appt setting the other days, which I think could work. I am a fast learner and have been in sales over 10 years, 2 of which was over the phone, and 4 that was either b2b or f2f. I'm thinking I just need to learn product knowledge and get the pitch down.

I can spend this summer doing this full time then the next two semesters still doing it full time maybe just 8-10 hrs less in the mornings, which I could make up at other times during the week.

The bottom line is that I am an Independent Baptist and pastors with large churches, 400+, still only make mid 30k in salary, maybe with a housing allowance. So most likely I will always need supplemental income.

I've been reading up on efes and securas and think I could start buying 20 leads a week, then 15/wk during senior year and 10-12 while pastoring. If I can get past the learning curve at the beginning I was hoping to be able to keep doing it for "less" full time hrs.

If I could do 5k in ap then that would still be 3k or so a month which would be plenty.

joshuaejones1 said:
Well I will most likely end up being an asst pastor at my current church for a while. So I will be staying in place for 5 years +. That could change obviously, but that's how it's looking.

After next semester I will only be taking 6 hrs my last two semesters, so I should be able to work 40 hrs + starting this summer. It would just be weird hours. I've read about a couple of guys on these forums that run appts 2 days a week from 9-9 and do admin/appt setting the other days, which I think could work. I am a fast learner and have been in sales over 10 years, 2 of which was over the phone, and 4 that was either b2b or f2f. I'm thinking I just need to learn product knowledge and get the pitch down.

I can spend this summer doing this full time then the next two semesters still doing it full time maybe just 8-10 hrs less in the mornings, which I could make up at other times during the week.

The bottom line is that I am an Independent Baptist and pastors with large churches, 400+, still only make mid 30k in salary, maybe with a housing allowance. So most likely I will always need supplemental income.

I've been reading up on efes and securas and think I could start buying 20 leads a week, then 15/wk during senior year and 10-12 while pastoring. If I can get past the learning curve at the beginning I was hoping to be able to keep doing it for "less" full time hrs.

If I could do 5k in ap then that would still be 3k or so a month which would be plenty.

5K a week or a month? If its a month, you won't make $3K a month on somewhere around an 80-90% contract and buying leads. Just don't want you to have false hope.

Well I was getting my math from another thread. $21 for leads. If you buy 12/wk that's roughly $1000. 90% of 5k ap would be $4500 and 90% stick that's another $500 so we would be at $4k and minus $1000 for leads. Unless I don't understand the math. And I would hope I could do more than 5k in AP off that many leads per month.

joshuaejones1 said:
Well I was getting my math from another thread. $21 for leads. If you buy 12/wk that's roughly $1000. 90% of 5k ap would be $4500 and 90% stick that's another $500 so we would be at $4k and minus $1000 for leads. Unless I don't understand the math. And I would hope I could do more than 5k in AP off that many leads per month.

You make it sound so easy. I think I might order 24 leads a week so I can make $8,000 a month.

More like 75% to 80% stick.

Plus have you ever sold anything before?

Can you close on the first appointment?

No, not "I think." Do you KNOW you can close?

You're advanced 75%.

Plus it takes a while to get your game down.

So here's your best case scenario:

$5000 x 75% = $3750 x 75% sticking x 90% = $2500, rounded down. Don't count the 25% you won't get until the policies stuck for 9 months -- think cash flow.

Expenses: 50 leads x $21 = $1050. Add $100 at least for gas.

$2500 - $1200 = $1300 conservative take-home pay each month.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Sorry, this an undeniable learning curve you're going to go through, and people are being understandably blunt because they don't want to see you 3 months from now with a $1000-$2000 lead debit balance and no money to buy leads to work it off.

That's why you got to do it full time.

There is no such thing as a part time insurance agent. The best you can do is work another job on the weekend, doing insurance M-F.... but you will be drained and stressed.:nah:

Those are all realistic numbers that Rearden laid out. You have to work hard or you will plan to fail, so in essence it can't be done part time.

Good luck either way, you can always try it and learn.

Yes I can close. And I was planning to wait until I have 3 months during the summer to start and work full time. I figure ill know some by the end of three months.

Yes I can close. And I was planning to wait until I have 3 months during the summer to start and work full time. I figure ill know some by the end of three months.

If you feel you can make it work, and have reasonable expectations, go for it...In this business, you will get what you put into it...Just beware of the Recruiters who will offer you unfair contracts, and take advantage of you...

Back