Final Expense

Hey,

Can anybody recommend the best carriers for final expense? Thanx.

Tim

There are LOTS of them. Depends on what your definition of best is.

Best for uninsurable people...Presidential Life is guaranteed issue

Best for ease of selling...Americo has Palm and Windows Mobile quote software and easy issue with no phone call needed

Best commissions and renewals...I like Shenandoah and Americo but there are lots of others.

Best for overweight...Motorists and Monumental do not ask height and weight

Best for Smokers...Citizens Security doesn't ask about smoking

Best for Funeral Expense...Forethought pays the funeral home within 48-hours of death (no death certificate needed)

Best for lowest premium for healthy people...Oxford Life, LaFayette Life

Best for the MOST confusing product lineup...Continental Life of Brentwood, TN (what the hell are they thinking with that mess?!!!)

Lots of other good ones out there too.

Last edited:
I thought people didn't need insurance once they aged? I must be confused?

Depends on if they saved up any money. If they didn't, they buy the pay for life plans. If they did, they still buy the single-pay or 3-year pay plans as an easy way to cover final expenses.

And if they did REAL well...single pay wealth transfer plans.

And finally, don't think that only the elderly buy final expense. Usually starts with the 45 and up crowd. Most likely ages are 55 - 75. That's the reason AARP dropped "Retired Persons" from their name. They want to sell them at 50 now.

I have sold 5K-15K final expense plans to young Moms before, especially if they had child term riders available at the company I worked for. That was when I was mainly a debit agent, though.

I thought people didn't need insurance once they aged? I must be confused?

AARP promotes (among other things) that "you do not want to dump funeral costs and unpaid bills onto the kids." OK.

You might be thinking of the "crossing finish line;" where the need for life insurance ceases when the kids are gone, the house is paid off, the spouse is gone and no one really needs the insurance. It's like paying for auto insurance long after you sold the car and can't drive any longer...what's the point?

I could be wrong, but AARP keep sending me this stuff and they are never wrong.

Has anyone on this forum done any Final Expense business with an IMO called Columbia Management Group of Columbia, MO? They are in the senior market, but appear to focus on FE. Their carriers are Chesapeake Life, Unity Financial, and Standard Life. From what I have seen on their web site, they do appear to offer support and several lead options,

Last edited:
Has abyone on this forum done any Final Expense business with an IMO called Columbia Management Group of Columbia, MO? They are in the senior market, but appear to focus on FE. Their carriers are Chesapeake Life, Unity Financial, and Standard Life. From what I have seen on their web site, they do appear to offer support and several lead options,
Columbia Management is owned by Shep Cutler, one of the "orginal" final expense salespersons. He's known througout the industry and even had a front page with a story in Senior Market Advisor Magazine.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a lot of support though. None of their carriers are a big deal.

However, Shep is a great guy. I've spoken with him many times.

Rick

AARP promotes (among other things) that "you do not want to dump funeral costs and unpaid bills onto the kids." OK.

You might be thinking of the "crossing finish line;" where the need for life insurance ceases when the kids are gone, the house is paid off, the spouse is gone and no one really needs the insurance. It's like paying for auto insurance long after you sold the car and can't drive any longer...what's the point?

I could be wrong, but AARP keep sending me this stuff and they are never wrong.

Yes you are correct AARP is never wrong!:D Outside of that I'm a big WL guy and everyone needs it! As this poster so noted;
Depends on if they saved up any money. If they didn't, they buy the pay for life plans. If they did, they still buy the single-pay or 3-year pay plans as an easy way to cover final expenses.

And if they did REAL well...single pay wealth transfer plans.

And finally, don't think that only the elderly buy final expense. Usually starts with the 45 and up crowd. Most likely ages are 55 - 75. That's the reason AARP dropped "Retired Persons" from their name. They want to sell them at 50 now.
Just depends upon how well their BTID worked out for them on what kind of WL they buy later in life at elevated cost.

Back