Guaranteed Issue Under 40?

Thank you for specifying Columbian Guaranteed Issue for 18+! Just yesterday a friend approached me - her sister is 36 HIV. I am already contracted with Columbian for Final Expense and have just requested information on adding the GI to my portfolio!
Thank you again kedsward

Just got off the phone with Columbian Underwriter, unfortunately they no longer do people who are HIV +, on dialysis, or confined to a wheelchair for their guaranteed issue product. :1mad:

Just got off the phone with Columbian Underwriter, unfortunately they no longer do people who are HIV +, on dialysis, or confined to a wheelchair for their guaranteed issue product. :1mad:

Their GA app does not ask the insured any questions. The agent does affirm: That the proposed insured is not confined to home or a medical facility, that he/she has no knowledge that the insured has a terminal illness, and that he/she has no knowledge that the insured is an intravenous drug user.

The underwriting guide does define a positive test for HIV or diagnosis of AIDS or ARC as a terminal illness.

There is no mention of dialysis or wheelchair confinement on the agent's statement. Unless they have started doing MIB and script checks, underwriting would have know way of knowing the person is undergoing dialysis.

Then they should not call it GI!! Call it kinda sorta GI, these companies cease to amaze me.

----------

Does anybody write a true Guaranteed Issue under 40? Have a 33 year male, NS, heart attack 6mos ago.. Diagnosed Cardiomyopathy ..Lives in Tennessee ..... wants $10,000 coverage.. ROP would be fine..

Cant remember the app questions off top of my head but Snl has a sweet little policy called Security Care Plan, it has 3 levels with one being an rop. I think it goes to really young ages, Ive written a few teenagers with it.

I agree. The way she explained it is that they do mib and RX checks and cannot afford to check the status of an HIV person. I'm checking with Prudential to see if they accept brokers for a product they have specifically designed for HIV patients.

----------

Then they should not call it GI!! Call it kinda sorta GI, these companies cease to amaze me.

----------

Cant remember the app questions off top of my head but Snl has a sweet little policy called Security Care Plan, it has 3 levels with one being an rop. I think it goes to really young ages, Ive written a few teenagers with it.
Who is SNL? Do they accept brokers?

----------

Their GA app does not ask the insured any questions. The agent does affirm: That the proposed insured is not confined to home or a medical facility, that he/she has no knowledge that the insured has a terminal illness, and that he/she has no knowledge that the insured is an intravenous drug user.

The underwriting guide does define a positive test for HIV or diagnosis of AIDS or ARC as a terminal illness.

There is no mention of dialysis or wheelchair confinement on the agent's statement. Unless they have started doing MIB and script checks, underwriting would have know way of knowing the person is undergoing dialysis.
You can try, but the uw said they check MIB and RX on GI products.

----------

I wrote him with Columbian with no problems.. He is in full benefit now. The Security care is not available in TN.

----------

I agree. The way she explained it is that they do mib and RX checks and cannot afford to check the status of an HIV person. I'm checking with Prudential to see if they accept brokers for a product they have specifically designed for HIV patients.

----------

Who is SNL? Do they accept brokers?

----------

You can try, but the uw said they check MIB and RX on GI products.

The Columbian product was never designed for HIV prospects.. They have always had the terminal illness question on the agent report and have always defined HIV as terminal..

UHL does the same thing with their "GI" They don't ask the client any health questions but then requires the agent to certify:(1) the Proposed Insured is not confined to a hospital, hospice, nursing home, convalescent home, or does
not require home health nursing care; (2) to my knowledge the Proposed Insured is not HIV+ or does not have AIDS or any terminal illness (any illness
diagnosed that would reasonably be expected to cause death within twenty-four (24) months); and (3) I have no knowledge of intravenous drug abuse(IVDA) of the Proposed Insured.

If you write it and they issue it, they are have to pay the claim no matter what. However, they could come back and terminate the agent, possibly for "cause".

I would prefer to use Settlers. At least, they ask the client about confinement and HIV.. The if there is a claim, it is not on the agent's shoulders. Also, no CB in case of death during the first two years with Settlers. The only problem is they don't go below age 40.

I find as a whole GI policies are pretty much a waste of time. If its for a personal friend or a referral you really want to take care of, ok; but to go out of your way on a 30 minute drive each way to write an" if come, maybe"; I don't do it and don't recommend doing it.

Then to compound the issue even further, too many of them don't pay and you waste even more time trying to save them.

I find as a whole GI policies are pretty much a waste of time. If its for a personal friend or a referral you really want to take care of, ok; but to go out of your way on a 30 minute drive each way to write an" if come, maybe"; I don't do it and don't recommend doing it.

Then to compound the issue even further, too many of them don't pay and you waste even more time trying to save them.

I take it you do some health qualifying on the phone when call to set the appointment?

Last edited:

I dunno bout that bro, Gerber pays me a sweet $550 month on GI, only 2 have ever fallen off, I find GI to be pretty sticky.

Back