How Many Hours Do You Actually Work?

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
The last two weeks my business has experienced a bit of slow down. And because of this I figure I have only really been working about 30 hours a week.
However, on the flip side there are weeks I don't even get a chance to sit down a rest, and could easily put 60-70 hours of actual work in.
But in the end, I figure I probably average somewhere in the range of 45 hours per week.
this includes prospecting time, driving to/from appts, in the house talking to the prospect, and miscellaneous administrative work.

What about yall?

If I were to be honest with myself, I probably work 15-20 hours per week. Especially in the summer months. I spend as much time on the golf course as I can. Lately that's been two days per week (no weekends, too crowded on the weekends). However, when October comes I will be working 60-70 hours per week for two months. Then it's back to 15-20 hours per week with the occasional 30 hour week.

Of course, in the early years I would work as long as it took. Now I am being rewarded for those efforts and don't have to apply myself quite as much. Sometimes I think if I worked as hard today as I did in the early years I would have a huge book of business. I guess I'm just too lazy now.

Myself personally I've never considered counting actual hours worked as necessary helpful as far as improving or hurting your business. It's what I spend those hours actually doing that is important for me.

One thing that helped me is making sure I was consistently spending the same amount of time doing the important stuff, like prospecting and selling. Those two things are the key components to my business. The administrative work I would set aside for after working hours.

Prospecting and selling is what makes me money. The admin work is something I like to do after I've satisfied my prospecting/selling, or something I'll contract out.

As far as actual hours worked, it depends on what time of year it is. First 6-7 months a year Jan- July I work around 40 hours a week, August-early October, 50ish... Mid October- early December 60-80 hours a week. That's mostly because I work the Medicare though.

Medsuptage nailed it. It isn't necessarily how many hours you work, it is what you do with those hours.

I don't really track it, but I would say between 40-50 considering the time I spend goofing off, and then the time I do paperwork in the evenings/weekends.

Back