Random Thoughts, Ramblings, Ideas, Questions, Etc..

I'll add this to the overall conversation-Assurant is keeping FYC at the same level as last year and boosting renewal commissions for years 2+ as well.

Question to All:
Do commission percentages play a lesser role in what company you suggest to prospects today, as compared to the pre-Marketplace era?

Since ObamaCare has pretty much done away with the wide variances in commissions and benefit levels that we once had, I'm now focusing on the lowest premium. A totally new mindset from the 1997 to 2013 time period.
ac

Question to All:
Do commission percentages play a lesser role in what company you suggest to prospects today, as compared to the pre-Marketplace era?

Since ObamaCare has pretty much done away with the wide variances in commissions and benefit levels that we once had, I'm now focusing on the lowest premium. A totally new mindset from the 1997 to 2013 time period.
ac

I have never focused on commission. People told me I was nuts. Well, those 100+ people I helped get on the high risk pool in 10 years only made one call last year. Clients for life. Now some of them are aging into Medicare. And staying with me.

I don't focus on lowest premium. Or network. Or carrier. Or commission. I focus on what's best for the client. (This may be a subsidy issue, though)

For the most part, it sort of average's out that way.

------------------------
Idiots, they will get crushed this year, absolutely crushed and while I'm sorry bluediamond has to rely on them it will be a pleasure to contribute to their bad year by taking people away from them in droves.

Last edited:
I have never focused on commission. People told me I was nuts. Well, those 100+ people I helped get on the high risk pool in 10 years only made one call last year. Clients for life. Now some of them are aging into Medicare. And staying with me.

I don't focus on lowest premium. Or network. Or carrier. Or commission. I focus on what's best for the client. (This may be a subsidy issue, though)

KGMom, thanks for sharing your philosophy. Fortunately for most agents in the Chicago area, if we focus on the lowest premium, we're also giving the client what's best for them overall. Of the 5 companies on our Illinois HC.gov, BCBSIL has the lowest premium, widest network, best formulary and best commissions. It's a win-win-win for client/agent/carrier.

I hope this doesn't change for 2015. Sales are very easy when one company excels in every metric of quality.
ac

KGMom, thanks for sharing your philosophy. Fortunately for most agents in the Chicago area, if we focus on the lowest premium, we're also giving the client what's best for them overall. Of the 5 companies on our Illinois HC.gov, BCBSIL has the lowest premium, widest network, best formulary and best commissions. It's a win-win-win for client/agent/carrier.

I hope this doesn't change for 2015. Sales are very easy when one company excels in every metric of quality.
ac

Makes perfect sense that its regional answer. I am glad that its working for you. :)

zig_ziglar_help_enough.jpg

AC,

To answer your commission question:

Personally, I sell the network. Networks are so darn small now, I usually only have one or two carriers where a particular client's hospitals and doctors are included. Even on a group, I'm sure to check if any employees have ongoing treatment or chronic conditions and do what I can to ensure they can continue uninterrupted.

Sometimes, it just happens to pay a generous commission. Or no commission. Or $5/month for a $1600 family plan. It is what it is, but I'd rather they be in the right spot than shoved into the carrier that pays $15PMPM.

It looks like everyone who contributes to the forum is of the highest caliber...not putting commissions over what's best for the consumer. Excellent! Thanks for your replies.

Another Topic:

I am of the understanding that we cannot submit any Major Medical applications for a January 1, 2015 effective date before November 15th...even if we have the rates before November 15th. Is that correct?
ac

I know that 11/15 is correct for the Exchange. Carriers MIGHT allow you to partially complete the app using the direct method, but I'm not sure.

The next issue is if the application process is even ready for 2015 enrollments on the carrier websites.

For BCBSAZ, they allow an agent to complete the entire app for the client (on the carrier website) if it is off-exchange, if the agent is with the client at the time or if the agent has a signed app. The app is simple. Super easy! So, if the client has selected a plan long before 11/15, I plan to complete the app, send it to them for signature, and then input it into the carrier website application system as soon as the carrier allows it.

I know that 11/15 is correct for the Exchange. Carriers MIGHT allow you to partially complete the app using the direct method, but I'm not sure.

The next issue is if the application process is even ready for 2015 enrollments on the carrier websites.

For BCBSAZ, they allow an agent to complete the entire app for the client (on the carrier website) if it is off-exchange, if the agent is with the client at the time or if the agent has a signed app. The app is simple. Super easy! So, if the client has selected a plan long before 11/15, I plan to complete the app, send it to them for signature, and then input it into the carrier website application system as soon as the carrier allows it

Thanks Ann. I'm hoping our BCBSIL allows the same thing. But based on how they operate, I don't think the 2015 premiums will be in their quote engine until November 15th. It would be nice to get a head-start by submitting the 12/31/2014 terminations before 11/15/2014.

You're fortunate that you'll be able to do that, if BCBSAZ is your preferred carrier of choice.
ac

Back