Illegal

To each their own on immigration issues...However my concern is in answering the questions as stated on the application. If it asks whether or not the client is a resident or citizen then logically if they are not I should not offer them life insurance On the other hand, if it asks only for a tax id OR ssn, it is not my obligation to become an immigration officer and lock them up. The challenge I have is that most if not all applications specifically ask for a SSN and/or resident status. I do however know some unscrupulous agents who will put anything down on an application to make the sale including using an ITIN for a ssn and check the "resident" box.

I just don't see how somebody buying life insurance is a big deal? Most FE agents sell to much worse people than somebody that jumped the border to get a job. Car insurance is available to illegals (which is a good thing), so why not life?

Edit: Why do I have a feeling this will be moved to religion and politics or the fight club very soon.

Last edited:
BenS? I think you are confusing resident aliens or those with a working green card in this case and yes, they can insure because they are in the country legally.

Insurance companies also are subject to the patriot act and must report these type of things to the government. If mutual fund companies can be fined heavily for this infraction, would you think other financial entities would get a pass?

Illegal is illegal, while they may be able to take advantage of social programs our country has to offer. Other programs (like insurance, investing) would or could possibly lead to getting caught.

BenS? I think you are confusing resident aliens or those with a working green card in this case and yes, they can insure because they are in the country legally.

Insurance companies also are subject to the patriot act and must report these type of things to the government. If mutual fund companies can be fined heavily for this infraction, would you think other financial entities would get a pass?

Illegal is illegal, while they may be able to take advantage of social programs our country has to offer. Other programs (like insurance, investing) would or could possibly lead to getting caught.

You're off base here. I know for a fact that illegal immigrants can purchase car insurance. Being in the country without documentation is a civil offense punishable by a fine. Not even considered a crime. Very similar to a ticket for a traffic violation or littering.

I just don't see why purchasing life insurance would be an issue?

I just don't see why purchasing life insurance would be an issue?
Here's one reason why...

Back in the mid 90s there was a great life insurance scam in South Florida (now they've moved on to the bigger bucks Medicare scams) involving both illegal and legal Haitian immigrants.

Seems they would buy a life insurance policy here, go back to Haiti, procure a fraudulent death certificate (for a %), file a claim -- and get paid.

Here's one reason why...

Back in the mid 90s there was a great life insurance scam in South Florida (now they've moved on to the bigger bucks Medicare scams) involving both illegal and legal Haitian immigrants.

Seems they would buy a life insurance policy here, go back to Haiti, procure a fraudulent death certificate (for a %), file a claim -- and get paid.

How is this scam relevant to whether somebody is legal or not? Seems like I could attempt to pull this off if I wanted, and I'm as white and legal as they come...

BenS said:
How is this scam relevant to whether somebody is legal or not? Seems like I could attempt to pull this off if I wanted, and I'm as white and legal as they come...

What does skin color have to do with it? Rick is white and he is illegal.

Back