I See the Writing on the Wall

Or present options and let customer decide.

I doubt Rick signs the Plan N app for the client, forcing them to buy Plan N.

What your missing is that the conversation of, "How much is F? How much is G? How much is N?" is likely "part" of the conversations he has with his prospect before making the recommendation.

An agent would be doing a dis-service by not pointing out a $540 premium savings of N over G. It would take a lot of doctor visitis and ER visits to add up to $540.

In other words - he's right - agents can't be (and shouldn't be) passive in these decisions. If a prospect really wants to flush $540 down the drain I don't know of an agent who would say, "too bad, I won't write the policy because you refuse to save money." They'll write it and just make sure the prospect knows that they are paying the extra - not for coverage - but for convenience.

I doubt Rick signs the Plan N app for the client, forcing them to buy Plan N.

What your missing is that the conversation of, "How much is F? How much is G? How much is N?" is likely "part" of the conversations he has with his prospect before making the recommendation.

An agent would be doing a dis-service by not pointing out a $540 premium savings of N over G. It would take a lot of doctor visitis and ER visits to add up to $540.

In other words - he's right - agents can't be (and shouldn't be) passive in these decisions. If a prospect really wants to flush $540 down the drain I don't know of an agent who would say, "too bad, I won't write the policy because you refuse to save money." They'll write it and just make sure the prospect knows that they are paying the extra - not for coverage - but for convenience.

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the comments.

I want to make a direct answer to what you said, but before I do, three comments, I think, but am not sure, you are aware of.
1) I am not an agent.
2) For GreenSky, SAI and FLM2 (my "fan club") there is no post I can make about anything that will be correct.
3) This thread is not about "the best medicare supplement, AARP or otherwise, and I did not want to hijack the thread by engaging Rick and repeating discussions which he and I have already had, at very great length, elsewhere. GreenSky and SAI are making a diligent effort to turn this into another "LD roast thread".

Part of what is being discussed here is "the way to sell". If I choose to sell med supps (or advise on them for that matter) I want to learn to better understand Somarco's approaches of asking questions and providing information and letting the customer/client/potential buyer make the choices and "ask to buy". I am not sure that concept is fully consonant with Rick's "guidance" approach.

Also, Rick and I disagree on the "guidance" we would provide. You and I have already had a variant of that discussion in regard to HiF when you talked to me about the low commissions on that-so you were not going to spend a lot of time presenting it, but if someone comes to you with a mind made up and wants one you'll write it.

Rick believes in plan N, I don't. He will "guide" someone to that plan, I would "guide" them to G or HiF. I would discuss N, but I would not present it in nearly as positive a light as Rick would. (And that is based on experienced agent comments I received while choosing my own med supp plan.) In the case of a captive AARP agent, as discussed in this thread, that would apparently elimate HiF, leading to G vs N and in states where the F to G differential is as low as was presented here, that would switch to F to N which leads to the "book product mix" the FL agent posted.

The plan to plan premium differences in KS are much different than those presented for FL, so that also contributes to the difference in guidance or advice that would be appropriate in my situation.

Last edited:
And why is this important to you?

Rick

I have this poser on ignore so don't usually see his misinformed posts-all I can say is that I have never mentioned the UHC policy allowing plans to be changed to a single client nor have ever considered it for my own supplement.

The last thing I would ever want to do is further confuse Medicare beneficiaries with more information-if they can afford a plan they should pick the best plan for them and stick with it, period.

I have this poser on ignore so don't usually see his misinformed posts-all I can say is that I have never mentioned the UHC policy allowing plans to be changed to a single client nor have ever considered it for my own supplement.

The last thing I would ever want to do is further confuse Medicare beneficiaries with more information-if they can afford a plan they should pick the best plan for them and stick with it, period.

This ^.

Proof that most agents get in their own way. The OP is/was worried about something which is almost a non-issue for most agents.

It's a light sizzle - it's not bacon.

I have been selling AARP/UHC since the fall of 2008.
When I'm discussing the policy with the applicant, the "switch anytime" feature is about #38 on my things to discuss.
I keep that feature in my back pocket.

I have been selling AARP/UHC since the fall of 2008.
When I'm discussing the policy with the applicant, the "switch anytime" feature is about #38 on my things to discuss.
I keep that feature in my back pocket.

Clearly, when you gain some experience, you'll be able to bring up the topic with more confidence.

If they can afford a plan. Usually turning 65's call up and they ALL want plan F. 95% of them want plan F. Doesn't matter if they can afford it LONG TERM or not. That's what everyone tells them they should buy so they want it. Tons of agents that sell it to them too, without asking questions about finances because why not? bigger commission.

I talk to hundreds (Lordy some days I want to spork my eyes out) of people a month. Sometimes the calls are from people who are calling to re-enroll in plan F that was cancelled because of non payment of premium, or because they are behind 2 months on the premium and are calling to say they are scraping the money together to make the payment. Sometimes they come in on the dental line and can't afford the dental because they have plan F. They all picked plan F, because it worked for them...at the time.

Not ONE of those people knew they could switch plans, if even for only a month or two, so they can catch their breath and get caught up on their money problems.

Being able to switch plans is/was a great option for UHG to offer to people. It gave them peace of mind knowing that if they needed it, they could switch. It is the number one tool I use to set UHG apart from every other company. It's also a math problem. I work out the numbers for people with the difference in monthly premiums from F to N, x it by 12 months, subtract the part B deductible, divide by $20 copays (assume worst case scenario) and come up with number of doc visits per year before plan N meets plan F's premium cost. In NY most of the time if someone doesn't use the doc 30-40 times a year the plan N will save them a boat load of money.

Once I do the math for people and they can actually see the savings they usually sign up with me and forget they wanted to call BC/BS to compare prices on plan F :D "And remember; you can switch up or down between our plans any time of year with a phone call as your health or finances change. You can't make a wrong decision here".

I see it happen all the time; a restaurant/store/company starts out and offers great customer service, fabulous food, the best whirly gigs you can buy and as they get bigger and start making more and more money theeeennnnnn the shift starts to happen. Everything goes downhill from there, they become bland and nothing special. Shame really.

The whole thread started to let you guys know that it's changing. Lot's of things are changing there. I suppose they are just following everyone else now. I loved working for UHG. I really thought they were a better company (less medical underwriting, ability to switch plans) but they are changing...and it's not for the better.

Back