Question for Medicareguy

Yea it is pretty amazing that you guys are STILL talking about him 3 days later, theorizing on his successes and/or failures. Who really cares is he the first guy EVER to post questionable information on an internet forum.

Might be time to move on.

Just saying

No hes not the first one to do it. Ive seen a dozen clowns do it in here from Gordon and Robliano to Jody to DaWayne on down............Just saying:twitchy:

According to TheGuy we all suck if we're Independent Agents and haven't got a CSA after our name. :GEEK:

He comes on here bloviating about Mutual of Omaha and acting pompous ("I'll sit back"... and take names). :GEEK:

So ask yourself this question; Would you want TheGuy to show up at your mother's house?

Most of us never got a FREE pass here and I'm damn sure Yoda never got one.

All the Sman wants is an answer as to how he did it. Seems like a fair question.

It's a really cool trick, I promise![/QUOTE]

Never mind me, just trying the quote thing....

Crap, it didn't work!

According to TheGuy we all suck if we're Independent Agents and haven't got a CSA after our name. :GEEK:

He comes on here bloviating about Mutual of Omaha and acting pompous ("I'll sit back"... and take names). :GEEK:

So ask yourself this question; Would you want TheGuy to show up at your mother's house?

Most of us never got a FREE pass here and I'm damn sure Yoda never got one.

All the Sman wants is an answer as to how he did it. Seems like a fair question.

It is a fair question but it does not obligate him to answer it.

If a person asks another person a question, let's say, "Why did you go to the doctor today", that person can tell them, or they could tell that person to get lost, or they can say nothing at all. Just because that person is curious doesn't mean they deserve an answer.

Thank you, that was my point.
I was shocked they were still even talking about him 3 days later.

He is a fart in the wind forget about him guys............

Ok, if you must know. Our direct sales area opened up in 2001. We had two reps in 2001. Today we have 19. I get most of my business from current group customers turning 65 who are happy with my company, as well as new contacts/referrals. I do write between 350 and 550 each year in Med supps. From 2004 until 2008, we have been #1 in sales. In 2009 National States wrote more new biz than us, now they are in receivership. As of end of 2009, we are #1 in market share with about 37,000 customers. I do have about 8% of the total customers because I only write WPS and work with group customers turning 65, as well as new biz.
Not being an independent agent, I do see things from a different world. In WI, I have seen companies come and go..MOO, United World, Central States, Constitution Life, Conseco...on and on. Low rates are important if you work on commission...I get it. However, there are many 75+ year olds paying more than they have to because of being in closed blocks. I'm not a fan of companies that spin business through sister companies, then end up using baby food companies to sell to seniors.

As for rates, our table of rates have never went up more than 10% in one year in the past 11 years. We have table rate increases of 7.1% (average) the past 11 years. We are not the lowball plan. We now offer a $1,000 routine benefit with eye exams, refractions and hearing exams.
Plan N is going to be another battle as plans come out with rates they cannot support in the long run. GoldenCare of MN is coming into WI with guaranteed issue N (except for end stage renal). How many agents will slap customers into this GI pool?

The only reason I mentioned customer count is because I was slammed by someone saying we suck. Being #1 may suck for someone, but not for me. Luckily, I'm not fully commissioned and not relying on renewals. I have a defined benefit pension, 401 K, health/dental/Life/STD/LTD and almost 25 years in. My customers are very happy with service and I get many referrals. When you work for a good company, you must defend yourself and company....at least I don't stoop to offering comments about another person's body parts...I'm not that insecure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
According to the WPS site, they boast that 30,000 Wisconsin residents have a Med Supp with them. You state you have 3,000 Med Supp clients. How did you manage to write 10% of the company's Med Supps? Seriously, I want to know how you managed to get 3,000 Med Supps on the books. My goal is 1,000, but if you can show me how to get to 3,000 I am listening. With those numbers, I'd venture to guess you are one of the top Med Supp agents in the country.

I've been swamped and not reading posts,,,.sorry for the delay..it was fun reading the comments, though. Your post is answered in another post, but I will say that I'm in a unique position. It took me 9 years, writing 350-550 each year. I don't work on commission, just a shared bonus with salary and great benefits. I have the pleasure of working for a carrier with loyal group customers, basically I work with about 6 employer groups that have been with us, three have had us for 50+ years. We also have been the Medicare Part B claims processor since Medicare began. Besides working with groups that have us, I also have group sales consultants that don't write med supps, refer business to me..mainly school districts that don't carry our coverage with us now.

If I had 3,000 med supp customers on commission, I would be making good ching, however I would not be as happy as having a salary, bonuses, health insurance, a defined benefit pension, 6% matching 401K and other benefits. My retirement is more secure.:yes:

Last edited:
If I had 3,000 med supp customers on commission, I would be making good ching, however I would not be as happy as having a salary, bonuses, health insurance, a defined benefit pension, 6% matching 401K and other benefits. My retirement is more secure.:yes:
You, my friend are a true company man...

Do you seriously believe that your pension and 6% match is MORE secure than owning your own book of 3,000 med supp clients with vested commissions
(enforced with a LEGAL contract)?

Do the math:
3,000 clients with an average commission of $30/month per client. That's $90,000 per month in your bank account...

But hey, you're getting a 6% match, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

delusional...

</IMG>

According to the WPS site, they boast that 30,000 Wisconsin residents have a Med Supp with them. You state you have 3,000 Med Supp clients. How did you manage to write 10% of the company's Med Supps? Seriously, I want to know how you managed to get 3,000 Med Supps on the books. My goal is 1,000, but if you can show me how to get to 3,000 I am listening. With those numbers, I'd venture to guess you are one of the top Med Supp agents in the country.

Update: It is almost 2015. WPS has been Wisconsin's #1 supplement since 2008. We have over 41,000 customers. Nearly 1 in 5 Wisconsin seniors have WPS. I have been a direct writer since Jan, 2000. I have over 3,800 customers. I love working direct for WPS. We now work with the four top web brokers also. I have been off this forum for a while.
Question for you all. Do the med supps you write for require group termination documentation if not in open enrollment? And, are there any innovative benefits being offered out there?

If coming off group in Missouri a termination letter will be requested by the carrier in most instances.

I've always felt the innovative benefit gimmick to be just that, a gimmick. It is usually a poor excuse to charge higher premiums. I like to keep it simple.

Medicare Guy: What sup policy holders actually have a competitive rate with WPS after they have held that policy for maybe 5 - 10 years..? Ha ha ha

Back