T65 Already on SSDI, GI Options at 65?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
A lead card contact I called is interested in discussing Medicare options for turning 65, June '48 DOB. Has had Medicare A/B due to SSDI for over 10 years, and PDP only, no MAPD..she looked at her card to confirm..., with a carrier that offers PDP only in her zip code, no MA.
After our call, it occurred to me that, A. the person might have ESRD, therefore no MAPD, or B. lives under a rock, and no one has offered MAPD. lol.... is there another possibility?
I have not had anyone on SSDI turn 65 yet. I just checked the producer handbook for UHC AARP. Says turning 65 *OR* newly enrolled for Medicare B.
That sounds like GI for SSDI recip. turning 65. Except the MedSupp that would be affordable would be high deductible F, N/A thru AARP.
On to the next manual, I do have a well priced/stable premium carrier for HD F.
Anyone have experience with this? I have sent an SOA, and will set appointment to review. She brought up that she has bills from a hospitalization, trying to work out payment options with hospital. Doesn't sound at all like dual eligible, but is low income. Will explore LIS.
Even the MAPD HMO's have $3,000+ OOP's, unless the person is extreme low income, they face bills. That's why I am considering High deductible F, lower max. OOP/premium competes with MAPD PPO's with much higher max. OOP's.

Last edited:
Act like she hasn't been on disability or Medicare. She's just another T65. Eligible for everything any T65 is. There is an enrollment code for MAPD or PDP for those already on Medicare now T65.

Act like she hasn't been on disability or Medicare. She's just another T65. Eligible for everything any T65 is. There is an enrollment code for MAPD or PDP for those already on Medicare now T65.
Thanks, will see whether MAPD or Medsupp meets her needs. Each MA carrier has little variations on their SEP coding, will check for SSDI T65 situation.

Once an individual comes off of SSDI and Medicare at age-65, they are in their GI period. It is as if they never had the disability or Medicare even if their card shows it as such. Therefore, they are entitled to all benefits just like any new 65 year old.

You guys scare me with your lack of knowledge. Glad you're not my mothers agent.
Do know the difference between a GI event and Open Enrollment?

OE is often mislabeled GI by agents and more than one new business rep at a carrier. Small deal, though, as it is g.i., just not GI, which has a special meaning unrelated to OE.

Does this further discussion change the statement that the client who has Medicare due to SSDI & is on a PDP only now, when she is newly T65 can:
A. enroll in a new MAPD plan
or
B. enroll in a Medicare supplement Guaranteed Issue.

Thanks for responding.

Does this further discussion change the statement that the client who has Medicare due to SSDI & is on a PDP only now, when she is newly T65 can:
A. enroll in a new MAPD plan
or
B. enroll in a Medicare supplement Guaranteed Issue.

Thanks for responding.

The enrollment period is called Open Enrollment, not Guaranteed Issue, but no medical questions for med supp, the usual ESRD question only for MA.

Back