#1 Aha moment & #1 Biggest mistake?

For experienced FE agents.

What was your biggest aha moment as well as your biggest mistake?

Thanks very much in advance for all the advice you all have been giving me.

For experienced FE agents.

What was your biggest aha moment as well as your biggest mistake?

Thanks very much in advance for all the advice you all have been giving me.

I don't remember much of an aha moment. It's a million little moments. There's a handful of foundation ideas I've gotten over the years.

Biggest mistake is easy, don't ever assign commissions. That's a lesson most of us learned the hard way.

2nd hard lesson was about releases. You don't even know that's a thang when you're new. But you find out soon enough.

I enjoy the independent living, just built that way. Went from captive to FMO to IMO... that was a very long and somewhat painful lesson.

One major "aha" for me was your business is about people. You need to know your product, but you don't sale because of your product knowledge, you sale because of your people knowledge and hard work.

I have aha moments every day. Comes with being a smart ass all the time.

My best one happened years ago. Me and another agent were coming home from Chattanooga. Coming down I75 we decided to stop in Macon at a mall. Walked in one of the back doors. Men's wear dept. Walked through that and saw a little hot dog stand. Walked up to the counter and ordered two hot dogs using my best hair lip impression. The little girl behind the counter looked up and guess what.

Yep you got it. I'd driven hundreds of miles only to do my stupid shit in front of a little kid that was a hair lip. I had no idea.

Read a big sign that said "All food must be consumed here."

Awful hard to eat two full size hot dogs in one bite but I did.

@jdeasy Biggest mistake is easy, don't ever assign commissions. That's a lesson most of us learned the hard way. please explain further. Thank you

Assigning commissions to an IMO/FMO and then they are supposed to pay you.

Vs getting paid direct by the carrier.

Do not assign commissions. There are some companies that require assignment. Easy answer, don't write those companies.

Two that I still remember all of these years later.

Two different orphan policy holders that I let get away without a no.

Short story - one 'had insurance' through her job at Wells Fargo. The other wanted to wait until after he retired. Both primary earners. Both died leaving $0 insurance. Both spouses had to move in with their kids.

edit - not an FE only agent.

Don't ever give your prospect the name of the company that you are leading with until they agree to buy. Otherwise they will sign up with someone else after you leave.

Back