#1 Aha moment & #1 Biggest mistake?

"What if Mom has to go to the bathroom?"

that was the first time I'd actually been faced with the possibility of needing to assist my mother with going to the bathroom, and all the nasty realities that it would present. Maybe it's shallow, but it really scared the hell out of me.
The cycle of life. She wiped your butt for you when you couldn't............:yes:

Never could get mine to get LTCI. Finally got my dad to get a Life policy with Chronic rider. It will help some.

Cant force anyone to get it, especially family.
When I first got in the business, I was sitting next to my father in law at dinner (at my house). Of course he was asking how my new job was going. In the course of that convo, I asked him about his life insurance. He said he’d bought a $10,000 policy at one time, but he never saw the point in leaving all that money behind for his wife to spend on some other man, and had dropped it after a couple years. I’ve never seen my wife quite as angry as she was on hearing that comment. She laid into him so hard, I’m surprised he lived through it!
But he never did get any life insurance from me.

When he passed away several years later, as far as we knew, he had no life insurance at all. His son paid the funeral home with a credit card. However, I later remembered that mom had some group life insurance included in her retirement benefits. So, I made a couple calls and discovered she had insurance on him, too, which she had forgotten about. It was more than enough to pay back my brother in law. She was actually able to reimburse travel expenses for several family members who came in from out of state.

When I first got in the business, I was sitting next to my father in law at dinner (at my house). Of course he was asking how my new job was going. In the course of that convo, I asked him about his life insurance. He said he’d bought a $10,000 policy at one time, but he never saw the point in leaving all that money behind for his wife to spend on some other man, and had dropped it after a couple years. I’ve never seen my wife quite as angry as she was on hearing that comment. She laid into him so hard, I’m surprised he lived through it!
But he never did get any life insurance from me.

When he passed away several years later, as far as we knew, he had no life insurance at all. His son paid the funeral home with a credit card. However, I later remembered that mom had some group life insurance included in her retirement benefits. So, I made a couple calls and discovered she had insurance on him, too, which she had forgotten about. It was more than enough to pay back my brother in law. She was actually able to reimburse travel expenses for several family members who came in from out of state.
I remember when I was a new agent working with my little staff manager. A big old guy said in front of very pregnant wife, "I am not leave her a bunch of money so she can marry some sorry SOB". My little manager looked him the eye and said, "You leave her enough money, she won't have to marry one the NEXT time"

I remember when I was a new agent working with my little staff manager. A big old guy said in front of very pregnant wife, "I am not leave her a bunch of money so she can marry some sorry SOB". My little manager looked him the eye and said, "You leave her enough money, she won't have to marry one the NEXT time"
I’ve heard the “Well, I figure she’ll just get married again” objection many times. I remember an agent at MetLife that would answer, “So, you want your wife to become a prostitute?” Of course the prospect would get mad! The agent would come back with, “Well, if she lets somebody into her bed for money, what would you call it?” He said he usually got thrown out at that point, and had never sold a policy after saying it. But it gave him some satisfaction just to put the *** in his place.

I once had that comment in front of the wife:
"Im not leaving her a bunch of money just to marry someone else and go on vacations with my money"

I laughed, looked over to her and said:
"how much would make you feel comfortable in feeding your 3 kids and covering the house and car expenses?"

Her: "$500k. That would pay off the mortgage and cars, plus leave a few hundred for living expenses.".

Me: "How would it make you feel now knowing that protection is in place for your children?"

Her: "Safe. It would make me feel safe."

Me: "How would having this coverage make you feel about your husband"

Her: "Like he cares and is a good provider no matter what"

Me: "how would this coverage make you feel if your husband died?"

Her: "Taken care of and loved no matter what"

Me to husband: "hypothetically, do you feel that paying off the mortgage/cars, & providing for your children, would take about $500k?"

Husband: "yeah, sure"

Me to husband: "what would it mean to you, to give your wife the feeling of security she just described?" "making her feel safe and provided for no matter what by her husband"

Husband: (looks at wife who is looking at him) "well it would make me feel really good to make her feel like that"

Me: "So a $500k policy would make everyone feel good about the situation.... lets at least see what the final premium will be and we can decide yes or no then"

----

Agents talk past the wife way too much. Get her involved. Let the husband say that to her face.... then ask her how she would feel in that situation.... works for people who actually love their family.

I’ve heard the “Well, I figure she’ll just get married again” objection many times. I remember an agent at MetLife that would answer, “So, you want your wife to become a prostitute?” Of course the prospect would get mad! The agent would come back with, “Well, if she lets somebody into her bed for money, what would you call it?” He said he usually got thrown out at that point, and had never sold a policy after saying it. But it gave him some satisfaction just to put the *** in his place.

I once heard a story from an old manager about an agent he went on a call with.

Husband said no to the policy. Sitting at kitchen table. Agent walks over to the light switch and cuts off the lights.

Says "sir, that is what you just did to your family if you die"

Dude told him to get the F out of his house! lmao

I once had that comment in front of the wife:
"Im not leaving her a bunch of money just to marry someone else and go on vacations with my money"

I laughed, looked over to her and said:
"how much would make you feel comfortable in feeding your 3 kids and covering the house and car expenses?"

Her: "$500k. That would pay off the mortgage and cars, plus leave a few hundred for living expenses.".

Me: "How would it make you feel now knowing that protection is in place for your children?"

Her: "Safe. It would make me feel safe."

Me: "How would having this coverage make you feel about your husband"

Her: "Like he cares and is a good provider no matter what"

Me: "how would this coverage make you feel if your husband died?"

Her: "Taken care of and loved no matter what"

Me to husband: "hypothetically, do you feel that paying off the mortgage/cars, & providing for your children, would take about $500k?"

Husband: "yeah, sure"

Me to husband: "what would it mean to you, to give your wife the feeling of security she just described?" "making her feel safe and provided for no matter what by her husband"

Husband: (looks at wife who is looking at him) "well it would make me feel really good to make her feel like that"

Me: "So a $500k policy would make everyone feel good about the situation.... lets at least see what the final premium will be and we can decide yes or no then"

----

Agents talk past the wife way too much. Get her involved. Let the husband say that to her face.... then ask her how she would feel in that situation.... works for people who actually love their family.

Good story. I had one years ago running MP leads. I did, and do, know to get the wife involved and talk to her. Couple in their early 30"s with one child. She was a stay at home wife, he worked in construction. New mortgage.

She was all on board. Apparently the one that sent in the card. He wasn't. We weren't talking that much premium. They were young and this was 20 years ago. But he was a flat no. Not just no, hell no!

I was new enough and had been taught to talk people into things and thought that was a good idea. I started talking about the things like you mentioned and we had disability too which should have been important to the only bread winner.

He just said, "if something happens to me I'll be dead and I don't care what they they do with me or who pays for it". I asked, "what about your wife and son though?"

He said, I guess she can get off her ass and get a job. But I don't care what she does. My family will take care of the boy if she won't.

I worked many years in a factory. I've heard guys say that stuff 100's of times. When their wife is not present. They will usually even say, "if I want her to know I said that I'll tell her myself".

To say it right in front of her and not be joking was a bit of a shock to me.

So I left. The next day the wife calls me wanting to know if she can take out the life insurance on him without his knowledge. I told her she might be able to figure out a way to get his signature and get it started but he would find out one day. Probably by seeing the bank statement. I asked her what would happen then. She said, oh, there would be hell to pay!

I wished her good luck. Never heard from her again. Nor got another lead card from them.

If they are still married I hope he's still alive.

Back