#1 Aha moment & #1 Biggest mistake?

I had a false Aha moment on my first day selling with my sales manager.
Working on a debit with Liberty National, the first house we stopped at
to collect.
Got the money small talk with the Lady, as we are about to leave, she said
oh, by the way.
A young couple just married moved in next door.

Walked over, showed them a 50,000 WL.
young husband about 24 buys it.
I leave thinking this insurance thing is going to be a breeze.
Nice sell for a debit agent in 1980.

It wasn't, lol.

Worst moment.
Leaving Liberty National because of A. L. Williams.
Going to a local agency that sold a deposit term with Anchor National Life
and being paid by the agency, and not direct from the insurance company.
School was in session.
I learned my lesson.

Shooter

While I was never in the FE marketplace I believe this holds true no matter what products you are selling:
Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
When I was a fairly new agent, I was at a NALU meeting listening to a speaker for whom I had great respect. That statement was the closing sentence of his presentation. It really resonated with me, and was a huge “aha” moment for me.

Short story - one 'had insurance' through her job at Wells Fargo. The other wanted to wait until after he retired. Both primary earners. Both died leaving $0 insurance. Both spouses had to move in with their kids.

Someone asked me how this happened.

The Wells Fargo lady battled Cancer for a couple of years. I do not recall if she was automatically terminated at the end of her sick leave but all of her salary match Life Insurance was gone.
She was the primary earner. The husband was a blue collar guy with no pension. Last u heard he had moved in with a daughter.

The other guy had bought into Pension Max idea like several of his friends. What he had not done was fund it with Life Insurance. 100% pension. He died about a year after he retired. Last I heard the wife had to move her kids, 20 somethings with kids, back home to help save the house.

My newbie error was not pushing for a solid yes or no. I just let them 'think about it.

My other Aha was paying out my first claim on a life I wrote.

Most recruiters and marketers really don't care about the agents or the agents' clients.

Get everything in writing from carriers and recruiters or walk on by.

Very few will be willing to let you move on. Once you sign with most of them, you are captive to their best interest, even when you think you're independent.

Such an important product that is marketed through such a scummy distribution channel for the most part.

Please share.

It might resonate with others on the forum as well.

Just a wag . . . "will jam for food"?
“Will jam for food” is just a joke line I picked up from a handmade sign I saw in front of a street busker’s tip jar. I’ve never really been a full time musician (other than touring with a band one summer in my college days), but I’ve been earning at least some of my bread from music since I was in high school.

Back