A forgotten prospect calls to let me know he doesn't want a life policy

I spoke to this guy two months ago, and emailed him some quotes, after getting some health info, reason for buying etc. He called me yesterday "out of the blue" to let me know that he's not going to add coverage. Fortunately, I didn't answer, and he left a message.

Some of you may be more knowledgeable about the sales psychology involved, in a situation like this one. Obviously the call wasn't necessary, I only spoke to him one time, two months ago, and left it up to him to call back if he was interested.

If you've had experience with this sort of thing, do you take it at face value, or is this some sort of "sales opportunity"? If I had been in constant contact, I'd say he was calling to tell me to fork off, but that's not the case. I checked my record, and I've only spoken to him one time, for about 15 minutes.

Anyway, thought somebody may know something about this type of thing, before I call him back. He has deep pockets.

In sales sometimes it just timing right person at wrong time for whatever reason. At this stage of my life I deal with nice people and this prospect seems nice so I recommend getting some sort of a commitment to follow up and go onto the next. A simple trial question to test the waters might tell me if I toast it or throw it in the tickler. "it sounds like you put some thought into this and now is not a good time since you kept my number this long probably won't hurt if you keep it a while longer in case you change your mind does that make sense? ..and if I don't hear from you in another couple of months is it ok to check back in with you?" then toast it or keep it and if you keep it by the time it comes back up in whatever system you use he won't remember the conversation but you can tell him the truth that he said it was ok to call him back might make you feel like your not a dirt bag.

In sales sometimes it just timing right person at wrong time for whatever reason. At this stage of my life I deal with nice people and this prospect seems nice so I recommend getting some sort of a commitment to follow up and go onto the next. A simple trial question to test the waters might tell me if I toast it or throw it in the tickler. "it sounds like you put some thought into this and now is not a good time since you kept my number this long probably won't hurt if you keep it a while longer in case you change your mind does that make sense? ..and if I don't hear from you in another couple of months is it ok to check back in with you?" then toast it or keep it and if you keep it by the time it comes back up in whatever system you use he won't remember the conversation but you can tell him the truth that he said it was ok to call him back might make you feel like your not a dirt bag.

Caveat, not an agent.

If I was doing it, I think I would consider it as an annual followup kind of case and ask if I could check back in 12 months or so to see if his situation has changed.

Whenever clients actually respond [and especially when they go out of their way] to tell me that they are not moving forward, I thank you them, often profusely. Telling them that I really appreciate them following through with me to tell me the outcome and how rare it is that they did so. I am much more of a P&C guys and its crazy how many people never end up declining the proposals.

From my perspective the "No" often comes with a reason, which is especially helpful in understanding both the competive landscape and the psychology of the buyer. This is all a long way of saying that sometimes getting a No is more helpful than a Yes in the long run..

Last edited:
Back