A Lead or Not a Lead?

I have just started getting my standing order fixed priced leads in the mail. I asked these questions via email with my lead company contact and didn't get what I would consider.. answers to my questions so I thought I'd go to the 'Al Mighty Insurance Forum'. (Kneeling Smiley needed):idea:

In the case of fixed price DM leads in a standing order.
If a card has...

Nothing written on it other than N/A. Should that qualify as a fixed price lead?

Nothing written on it at all but the responder had attached a return address label in the response area. Is that a lead?

If there is nothing written in the response area, AT ALL! Should that qualify as a fixed price lead?

If the card was damaged by the post office before it was returned to the lead house and noted on the card by the lead company that the damage was done before it was mailed to me and the response information is not legible. Should that qualify as a fixed price lead?

Being a newbie I never asked if the leads would have to have phone numbers, ages, spouse etc. However when I was sent the lead card before ordering these leads, that I have now paid for, the phone number was in the response box as is spouse name and ages. Thus I assumed that was a criteria of being a lead. The IMO I was with pushed the importance of appointment setting and this lead company was among the recommended by that IMO. Thus I am somewhat confused.

My game plan is setting appointments by phone and not having this information is somewhat a game changer. Also if I was using an appointment setter these are useless. as they have no phone numbers.

I have received 35 leads and 10 fall into these catagories. Thus I just want to understand what qualifies as a legitimate lead or not before I decide how to proceed with my lead program.

If I were buying fixed price leads then I would argue that the ones that are blank are not leads I should pay for. I would make the same argument for the ones that people write "do not contact" on. Same for the one damaged by the post office.

Would I be successful on those arguments? Depends on what I agreed to before hand.

There always needs to be an agreement in advance on what is a lead and what is not. Absent that agreement then the buyer is just screwed.

So these are leads I should expect to get and pay for. not sub standard?

For what it's worth, reach out to those any way you can. As has already been mentioned, go door knock them while you're around and such. I didn't believe it worked until I did it. I actually had one lady tell me no to an appointment three times by phone, but then when I showed up to the door she let me right in and signed up. I don't know why on the phone it was so scary but in person it was a warm greeting, but I would focus a lot more on finding ways to work the leads than reasons to not pay them.

Ultimately your goal is to go out and make money. Let's assume you got credit back on all 10 @ even $35 each that's $350. If you wrote one policy off working the 10 of them you'd get twice as much back in commissions, probably more. If I was in your situation, I'd probably mention something to where I got them, then tell them I was going to go work them and see what I got out of it then revisit the discussion after that. For all you know you'll write $2k in premium on those two leads. So do you want your money back or do you want to go write some insurance? It sounds like you want to go sell some insurance.

I've gotten a few odd ones lately that I plan to discuss with my lead vendor.

"Please send pkg information, NOT a representative. Thank you for MAILING me this information."

"You need to update your list. She's been dead since 1987."

It's pretty difficult to think of and discuss every possible situation before they occur so I'm glad I now have a one on one relationship with my vendor.

The bottom line is that I'm his customer so I'll make a logical argument and look for reasonable responses. I'll even be willing to alert the lead vendor and pay for the blank leads I sell because I want a long term successful relationship. I want him to make money as long as I'm making money.

If he doesn't "get it", I guess I have discretion to shop around and tell others of my experience.

anyone door knock all your dm leads?

I know its not as efficient but i'm wondering if one gets in more of there leads by just door knocking them all. Its harder to say no to someone standing at the door versus calling them or they just never answer the phone.And the agents who just door knock your dm leads is your closing % better per 10 leads than a person who calls 10 leads to set up appointments?

Re: anyone door knock all your dm leads?

I know its not as efficient but i'm wondering if one gets in more of there leads by just door knocking them all. Its harder to say no to someone standing at the door versus calling them or they just never answer the phone.And the agents who just door knock your dm leads is your closing % better per 10 leads than a person who calls 10 leads to set up appointments?

I've got a lot of clients that skip the process of even doing the mail and go straight to the door. These aren't just once or twice orders either, some have been doing this for years. I can only think it'd be easier with a lead card.

I did it that way for years. It works fine but is in efficient with your time.

Setting appointments with as many as you can first makes your week much more efficient. You still door knock the rest.

Plenty of threads on this topic.

Newby the ones on the phone that tell you not interested at this time do you still door knock?

Newby the ones on the phone that tell you not interested at this time do you still door knock?

Of course you do. They often are completely different face to face than on the phone. Sometimes they aren't.

Of course you do. They often are completely different face to face than on the phone. Sometimes they aren't.
I had one today whom had a Brittish royalty type accent, that I HAVE to door knock for that reason. Just to see if he looks and lives like the 'KING' he talked like on the phone before he hung up on me. :1err:

Back