Advice on Buying a Car

The others are going to choke but where I am, in the mountains of Colorado a Subaru is hard to beat. Save, reliable and very low maintenance. It is a fairly popular car in these parts and see many 10+ cars on the road - including mine.

Coming from the car business there are some good answers on here. Here is my personal opinion.

Buy used one to two year old car with low miles from the same manufacture (if buying Toyota buy at Toyota dealer) and make sure it is certified. The warranty will be better than when it was sold new. The imports will hold their value better. (not sold on lasting longer because with proper maintenance any car should last a long time)

Leasing is not a good option if you drive more than 15k - 18k a year.

All good advice here, but just don't go so cheap on the car that they look at your car when you pull up and scratch their head... your car says a lot about you. I've always had foreign, but I will say that Ford has really turned things around with some great deals. I know people that have been foreign all their lives and switched. Also, love Hyundais...great car make and warranty!

I posted recently that I picked up the Kia Optima slx just to get back and forth to the office. They have come a long way! Totally loaded. Every option you can think of. 3 models to choose from all loaded excellently. Great mileage. Great warranty. Quick and a nice ride. $26-$30K for 2013. Probably go with 2012 new like every said for cheaper.

Don't lease if you're doing field sales! That's crazy.

Hyundai cars are pretty decent.

However, that warranty... you get what you pay for. Helped my parents take their car in for a "check engine" light. They did PART of the work and took care of the light.

Light went on again... and was told that now they did the OTHER part of the work.

That warranty has a cost... and it means doing the least amount to get by when you bring it in. And that means multiple trips for the same service.

At least, that's my experience ONE time with a Hyundai car and their dealership.

+1 on that post. When I worked at Pontiac/GMC people would bring their cars in under warranty and the goal was the figure out how it wasn't covered.

Then at BMW the warranty was pretty simple; "everything."

I would never pull up to a customers house in a little Honda or Toyota. Mainly because they don't bring any value to the economy and you feel proud with a car made out of Detroit. I had a corolla for about 2 years and used to for insurance work. Driving it on the highway I felt unsafe. I only got 130k miles out of it before it had a valve go on it. It was a 4cylinder no power on x way 1997 model.

I drive a 00 Ford Taurus and feel a lot better pulling into anybody's driveway with it, and the best part is very comfy. I have light tan leather which stays cool in the FL heat. The best is it still gets decent Mpg for an older 6 and has over 200hp.

Ford also has the Cmax which is competing with the Prius on price, mpg, and Hp. If you are driving a lot and care about MPG this can be a great option, but not an option for me, as I still feel dorky in small cars with my frame. (I am not fat just tall). In most categories, it beats the Prius out, and the best part its made right here in Flat Rock, MI with a long history. On there other hand, the Prius is made 100% in Japan providing no jobs.

Also, check with your CPA about deductions. You'll have to figure out whether it's better to write off mileage or gas. Or, in my case, I can lease my car to myself through my LLC. And space for my home office as well. I can lease it to myself. It just depends on the numbers and how they compare.

I'm fortunate that I have a tax attorney for a brother-in-law. His rates are very agreeable.

And I agree with Gordon. I drive a Dodge. You'll never get an objection driving American, but you may raise an eyebrow with an import.

Last edited:
+1 on that post. When I worked at Pontiac/GMC people would bring their cars in under warranty and the goal was the figure out how it wasn't covered.

Then at BMW the warranty was pretty simple; "everything."

You pay for that up front when you buy a new BMW. (The big price difference). For example, a new M3 and a Mustang Gt. Both very comparable to performance when tested. Actually the Mustang beat it out a tenth in the quarter. Price difference was 25k more for the M3.

If your going to buy a Bmw for driving to apts you would certainly would want to buy an old one and pay cash. Warranty would be out of the question and if something does go wrong be prepared to pay $$

Back