Advice on Buying a Car

I would never pull up to a customers house in a little Honda or Toyota. Mainly because they don't bring any value to the economy

How is that? Many Toyota's and Honda's are made here in the U.S. They are also sold at a dealer here in the U.S. The money paid is circulated in the U.S. economy. When you fill it up with gas and have it serviced, it is done here in the U.S. To say it doesn't bring any value to our economy just doesn't make sense to me.

IMO, I'd use CASH to buy a used car simply for driving back and forth to appointments. All those miles can do damage, and I figure, why do damage to a car with payments? Heck no, save that money for your next car. Not saying drive a old timer clunker, but a Toyota, Honda or Volvo have all been reliable vehicles for me. I currently drive a paid off Mercedes Benz, and its not good on gas with all this driving I do daily.

Last edited:
Gordon, if you compared a M3 to a Mustang while on our lot, you'd need to come in heavily armed to make it out ok:-)

You can spend all the extra money, I will invest the difference and still beat your butt in the quarter stock!...haha

2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend

I like BMW no issues with them, I would buy one if it made economic sense..great cars, personally I would stick to the 5 series on the older models since the M3s have more issues.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How is that? Many Toyota's and Honda's are made here in the U.S. They are also sold at a dealer here in the U.S. The money paid is circulated in the U.S. economy. When you fill it up with gas and have it serviced, it is done here in the U.S. To say it doesn't bring any value to our economy just doesn't make sense to me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They only provide a fraction of the jobs and the Prius is not made here along with a lot of other models. The rest of the investment dollars is put back into Japans economy for Toyota and Honda. Most of that money goes into retired auto workers from Japan and re invested into there own company.

They (Toyota) seem to dodge bullets when asked about sticky gas pedals and when our economy needs a lift they are nowhere to be found. For example, hurricane Sandy, GM donated several trucks and assistance. Toyota was out to lunch.

Last edited:
Ok this is too funny _ i never really thought about this but as a Kitchen Table agent I avreged 75-100k a year and have retired at least a dozen "Work" cars over the last decade - presently a 2004 Camry with 270k mi and just moved over to a clean USED Acura TL - I tend to buy w 80 - 100k on em and drive em to they no longer suit my needs - keep in mind your "work" car is the most important tool an agent has next to the one between your ears - I recomend on top of the Normal Toyota - Honda - Acura Keep it simple, make sure you are comfy......A good seat and working power supplies (your phone more than likely will need a charge) and a solid Nav system is a must have all Important points to me....

Last edited:
Tell that to the folks whose jobs depend on Honda or Toyota here in the US. That's not to say US automakers haven't done good things. But let's not forget, it wasn't long ago we had to spend billions of taxpayer dollars to bail out the US auto market.

Personally, I've owned domestic and foreign and I have had much better luck with foreign. But that's my personal preference.

Tell that to the folks whose jobs depend on Honda or Toyota here in the US. That's not to say US automakers haven't done good things. But let's not forget, it wasn't long ago we had to spend billions of taxpayer dollars to bail out the US auto market.

Personally, I've owned domestic and foreign and I have had much better luck with foreign. But that's my personal preference.

GM has paid the majority of the bailout money back and Ford never received any bailout money. I personally had more issues with foreign but that might not be the norm.

Again, that is a small fraction of jobs compared to GM, Ford, and Chrysler. All can be replaced with better built cars made here, providing a better tax base and incentives for investment dollars that would stay here.

GM has paid the majority of the bailout money back and Ford never received any bailout money. I personally had more issues with foreign but that might not be the norm.

Again, that is a small fraction of jobs compared to GM, Ford, and Chrysler. All can be replaced with better built cars made here, providing a better tax base and incentives for investment dollars that would stay here.

Define "majority". The tax payer lost an estimated $12-$15 billion on the bailout.

As for better built cars here, again, that's a matter of opinion. There's a reason foreign cars consistently rank as the most dependable. That's because they are. Just check out Consumer Reports and see if I'm being truthful. And as has been stated earlier, foreign auto makers manufacture cars right here in the U.S.

Look, I get it. You want to support the U.S. auto maker. Nothing wrong with that. If my personal experience had shown Chevy, Ford, Chrysler to have been more dependable than the foreign cars I've owned, then I might have a different opinion. My current vehicle is a 2011 Infiniti FX 35. It's probably one of the best made cars I've ever owned and it drives like dream. And the customer service has been top notch.

I'm very sour on GM in particular. More for the politics behind it than anything else. I view the bailout as nothing more than screwing the tax payer in favor of the union. It will be a long time before I buy another GM product, if ever.

The recent bailout numbers has GM paying back over 3/4s of the loan. So in essence it isn't Government Motors anymore;)

Its more then just supporting the union. Its supporting the U.S. economy with manufactured goods that will be rein-invested back into our economy vs going over seas. I have no ties to any union and have no family that worked for them. I did grow up in MI where I have seen a lot more people loose jobs then you care to even consider in your posts. However, Detroit, slowly but surely, is moving forward and looking strong.

If we want to come back as an economy, " It's like the china crack rock syndrom" that most are on with no way out. To bring back a strong economy it will be required that we invest in products made here as much as we can and that will bring more jobs here and the wheel in the economy will start to hit on all cylinders. Ultimately, in the end, it was our own demise of the china syndrome, along with wallstreet greed, that figured the best way to create wealth is artificially with margin.

I figure the only way out of debt and a stronger economy will be war or getting off the china rock....which in the end will probably lead to war anyways...

Back to the cars, just keep buying what you like, in the end the winners will shine through, and I am proud I drive a Ford.

Back