AM AM in big call centers

Well I’m about 8-9 years in so I guess I’ll have to wait 10 more years to learn the answers to those questions?

Do I keep the answers a secret ?

There’s no secrets. If you don’t know then you just don’t know.

we all learn from our experiences. Or not.

I think the main reason the call centers like them is because they are set up for a call center environment. Easy to do business with. Good customer service, etc.
What I will say as well is that the AMAM that a lot of call centers use is different than what field agents use. AMAM has several products with different groups.

There’s no secrets. If you don’t know then you just don’t know.

we all learn from our experiences. Or not.

Some agents will disagree. I know one in particular the uses the Walmart gift card that mentions life insurance.
He says he doesn’t want to drive all over the place chasing any cards down that says “benefits” “government “ or “Social Security “.
He says too many people think it’s something free from the government.

I don’t want life insurance on the card. I use the card to get me to the door of someone who expresses an interest. It’s my job to fact find,ask questions as to why they mailed the card in. I suggest many different reasons and let them tell me why they sent the card in.

Most of the time they have already had someone over there who was simply keyed in on selling them a policy without expressing a concern about their finances. Many have been sold something they couldn’t afford so I drill down on finding their budget.

I was trained to do the right thing simply by putting the insured’s needs first. Goes a long way in keeping business on the books.

What I will say as well is that the AMAM that a lot of call centers use is different than what field agents use. AMAM has several products with different groups.

Yes, but it's not about the product. Am Am actually comes out to a call center and checks it out to see if the call center is set up correctly. They do this before they even appoint the call center. I've not heard of any other company that does this, but at the same time, surely there are some.

Some agents will disagree. I know one in particular the uses the Walmart gift card that mentions life insurance.
He says he doesn’t want to drive all over the place chasing any cards down that says “benefits” “government “ or “Social Security “.
He says too many people think it’s something free from the government.

I don’t want life insurance on the card. I use the card to get me to the door of someone who expresses an interest. It’s my job to fact find,ask questions as to why they mailed the card in. I suggest many different reasons and let them tell me why they sent the card in.

Most of the time they have already had someone over there who was simply keyed in on selling them a policy without expressing a concern about their finances. Many have been sold something they couldn’t afford so I drill down on finding their budget.

I was trained to do the right thing simply by putting the insured’s needs first. Goes a long way in keeping business on the books.

It's OK to disagree. I only post about my experiences. I don't advise agents to not have life insurance on the card, I say I don't have it on there or want it on there.

Newer agents especially have to reply too much on what the card says or doesn't say. It's mostly in their heads but it doesn't matter if it's just in someone's head, it's there. Everyone has their own biases based on their life experiences.

One can talk to successful producers and get best practices and hopefully a path to run on. But they have to then run the path.

Most hard lessons are learned, not taught.

But experience of running DM leads for over 18 years now is that I'm closer to what Chris said now that ever. "It doesn't matter what's on the card". That's probably more a paraphrase than a quote.

I formed the opinion of not wanting life insurance on the card years ago by trial and error. I even designed my own lead card for FE about 14-15 years ago. It was a great lead piece. Probably the best I've ever used. Used MSPM and back then it was $360/1000. I was damn lucky to get 3 responses out of 1000. Yes, it was great but it was costing $120/lead or more.

Then using life insurance on the card also hurt responses. Taking it off the responses went up. Then people would tell me at the sit that had they known it was about life insurance they wouldn't have sent it in. I still business with them and they were thankful that they had sent it in. But they might have thrown that card away and I never got to talk to them.

Now, years later, they all know what it's about. You could leave the card blank and they will mail it in. Yes, you might get the one in a thousand that this is the first card they have ever mailed in and truly did not know. When I DK now I'm likely to hear "oh, about the insurance, come on in".

I've shown up for appointments and the card didn't say life insurance and I didn't say life insurance on the phone but on their calendar they have written, "life insurance man 1:00.

They don't know by intuition. They know because they have mailed in a dozen cards and most likely already had 5 or 6 agents visit them. The "I didn't know what it was about" line just rid of the others so they are trying it again.

It's just the nature of this business. Companies don't pay use 110-120-130% commissions because this is easy or anyone can do it.

We get paid for our skills.

Something else I just thought about. 15-16 years ago when I got contracted with LH the manager told me that whenever LH gets a lead card back they send a letter to the person telling them that they received the card and someone would be contacting them. That sounded great to me. He warned me, "you will find that the people that want insurance got the letter. The people that don't want insurance never get the letter". I found he was right. It's the same today with these leads. The people that want to talk to you about life insurance know exactly why they sent it in. The people that don't want to talk to you either don't remember sending it or they never sent it.

Last edited:
At this point in some states where the per lead cost is like $ 45 a lead. Or, territory is not even available. I think an agent would be perfectly fine working a free underwear lead if it was marketing in our demographic.

See I don’t agree it’s totally irrelevant what the card says . I’m running a killer mapd lead card right now I designed . I’m asking a lot of people do you send a lot of these in . I’ve been shocked the amount of people who told me no . Why did you send this in I ask? They tell me this particular card interested them . So the verbiage caught there eye . I’ve run a ton of the “ govt fund “ rgi leads . It obviously gets a much higher response because the verbiage seems like a free govt item . And why it matters is because a good % of the people that answer it have no ins but are dirt poor and don’t have means nor do they care to buy ins .

But yes a middle of the road card doesn’t matter as many have the means . If the connotation of free doesn’t matter run the Walmart gift card . But there again the quality of client is much lower wanting a free item . If they have a policy 8 times out of 10 I can replace it with a better plan . But you fish too low on the economic ladder there’s nothing to fish .There’s 1000 ways to do well on this business . No way is right over another . You find what works for you and do it . Jd thinks am am’s price is too high yet me and many agents right a ton of it with no persistency issues . Other things work for JD .

See I don’t agree it’s totally irrelevant what the card says . I’m running a killer mapd lead card right now I designed . I’m asking a lot of people do you send a lot of these in . I’ve been shocked the amount of people who told me no . Why did you send this in I ask? They tell me this particular card interested them . So the verbiage caught there eye . I’ve run a ton of the “ govt fund “ rgi leads . It obviously gets a much higher response because the verbiage seems like a free govt item . And why it matters is because a good % of the people that answer it have no ins but are dirt poor and don’t have means nor do they care to buy ins .

But yes a middle of the road card doesn’t matter as many have the means . If the connotation of free doesn’t matter run the Walmart gift card . But there again the quality of client is much lower wanting a free item . If they have a policy 8 times out of 10 I can replace it with a better plan . But you fish too low on the economic ladder there’s nothing to fish .There’s 1000 ways to do well on this business . No way is right over another . You find what works for you and do it . Jd thinks am am’s price is too high yet me and many agents right a ton of it with no persistency issues . Other things work for JD .

Why would agents pay $$$ for cards to attract a “good % “ of people who don’t have the money to buy and don’t care to buy life insurance?

Have you asked any of the vendors why agents have been ordering these types of lead cards for years?

What do they say ?

Why would agents pay $$$ for cards to attract a “good % “ of people who don’t have the money to buy and don’t care to buy life insurance?

Have you asked any of the vendors why agents have been ordering these types of lead cards for years?

What do they say ?

You’ve seen yourself return rates tank the last 1-2 yrs . The idea is you got to get in front of people at an affordable lead cost . In some areas rgi charges $45 to the fmo for a plain vanilla “ final expense “ per cost lead . 20 leads a week is $900 . That’s an exp lead . I’ve ran leads in some areas and gotten .6% . That’s $80 a lead and totally unsustainable for roi . In the end you got to returns to make the business work .

How much are fixed cost FE mail cards at:
FEX
EFES
David Duford

Are they $45 at any of these outfits?

Back