Begin with "Natural Market" or Leads?

Not really. I have always felt like that looks cheap. In my own town, you have to get a permit and your pictured posted on the city's Facebook page. I don't want to be on there with vacuum salesmen.

And how many people who come to YOUR door have that permit?

I had that permit and let it go when i realized that 100% of those who came to MY door... didn't have one.

Keep in mind that EVERY Edward Jones advisor had to go door to door to get started. It's all in your head.

Not really. I have always felt like that looks cheap. In my own town, you have to get a permit and your pictured posted on the city's Facebook page. I don't want to be on there with vacuum salesmen.
You have a much too high opinion of yourself. There are top of the table people that have cold called D2D, some residential, some commercial areas. And, don't knock the vacuum salesmen, some are making incomes that most insurance agents only dream about. Zig Ziglar sold pots and pans through the home cooking demonstration method. He prospected by door knocking and referrals. There are guys making 6 figure income working three moths per year selling pest control D2D.

As far as having to have a permit to canvass, in many areas that does not apply to insurance producers because they are licensed by the state to solicit insurance through out the state.

And how many people who come to YOUR door have that permit?

I had that permit and let it go when i realized that 100% of those who came to MY door... didn't have one.

Keep in mind that EVERY Edward Jones advisor had to go door to door to get started. It's all in your head.

Small town of 4,500. My father-in-law is the police chief. We have lived back here for almost 5 years and have had a vacuum salesmen and a children's book salesman. Both had the permit. Residents are asked to turn people in when they don't have it, and they do. The city also posts on facebook when they hear of people selling in town who don't have them.

Of course, I don't plan to just sell in our own town.

I had never realized that about Edward Jones. I just assumed that when one advisor quit and left the local office in town, that someone was brought in as soon as possible to staff the office.

I had never realized that about Edward Jones. I just assumed that when one advisor quit and left the local office in town, that someone was brought in as soon as possible to staff the office.

That's true, but they also have to continue to grow that book of business, and door-knocking is a key component of doing that.

My aunt is with Edward Jones and she took over an existing office (she was the BOA for 10 years), and even she still had to do door-knocking, even for an established office where the clients all knew her and the retiring rep.

Small town of 4,500. My father-in-law is the police chief. We have lived back here for almost 5 years and have had a vacuum salesmen and a children's book salesman. Both had the permit. Residents are asked to turn people in when they don't have it, and they do. The city also posts on facebook when they hear of people selling in town who don't have them.

That makes perfect sense, so at least you know if it's a true issue or not.

Both had the permit.

In PA, licensed life insurance agents are explicitly excluded from such requirements because we are tested, background checked, and finger printed by the state.

So, presume your state requires the permit, or that your father would arrest you if you don't get it: how much is this permit?

There are seven-figure earners whose primary means of prospecting is cold door knocking. Not many, but they are out there. They are selling financial services, solar panels, pest control, vacuum cleaners, meat, home security and automation, reflective curb numbers (not sure if any of those guys are seven figure earners, but they do hit six figures).

My father-in-law is the police chief.

Dude! You should be asking your father in law to allow you to sign up every new police recruit with some life insurance as well as the ones already there.

Then from there ask him to introduce you to the police chief in neighboring towns and rinse and repeat.

You should be asking for introductions to everyone from your father-in-law -the mayor, the fire chief, town hall members- everybody!

Get a sale under your belt, build his trust that you know what you're doing, and go make more sales from his introduction.

By the way - yes, you do need to ASK for referrals. Let me give you my real life example.

About 10 days ago or so, I had ONE recommendation on LinkedIn. I asked many of my current connections and posted a request in our Facebook group that, if I had had any help or impact to you, to please leave me a recommendation. I got 24 more written recommendations!

Now, I was always "recommendable", right? I had been doing the same things for a long time, but I ASKED for that recommendation... and I got many!

So no, I don't buy into being "just" referrable and somehow the referrals will come. You need to be referrable first, but you also need to ask.

For what it’s worth, I probably get 5 to 10 referrals per week without asking. Started from scratch going B2B, eventually the referrals took over. Never liked making someone uncomfortable for my benefit, especially right after they became a client.

Back