Building My 1st WordPress Site- Feedback

shooter said:
I like your site.
It is clean, and easy to understand.
I would love to get my own site for marketing to the public.
how do you start?
Plus, tech stuff can be lost on me.
Is it doable for a guy like me?

Thanks,

Shooter

It's really not hard at all. There is a learning curve for WordPress. It was sort of like when you first start learning about Medicare and it's overwhelming and then after you study it a while it clicks and makes sense.

Pay someone to do your initial setup and show you the basics. Then you just start adding info and pictures and adding pages and sub pages and pretty soon your sales go in the toilet because you're at your computer all day.

Speaking as a mature agent, the buttons and drop down could use a slightly larger font. Same for verbiage on the "back" pages. Black font against gray background can be difficult to discern sometimes.

Control+ works but some visitors may not know to do that for larger font.

All in all, a very nice looking site.

Speaking as a mature agent, the buttons and drop down could use a slightly larger font. Same for verbiage on the "back" pages. Black font against gray background can be difficult to discern sometimes.

Control+ works but some visitors may not know to do that for larger font.

All in all, a very nice looking site.

You are right. I usually work on it on a desktop with a huge screen. When I look at it on my iphone I'm struggling to see it.

I'll work on the font sizes.

You are right. I usually work on it on a desktop with a huge screen. When I look at it on my iphone I'm struggling to see it.

I'll work on the font sizes.

Changing font sizes can be a PITA in WP. With most themes you have to track them down in the CSS editor.

Many themes use a "base" size and then a percentage of that for the size. You may see "size 110%" If you want it larger make it 150% and see how it looks. And good luck finding the where in the CMS is the font for whatever part of WP you want to change. Look for "content" or "post" or "page" in the CSS.

Maybe a better way would be to hard code the "style" in each page/post.

Code:
<p style="font-family:arial;color:red;font-size:20px;">
Put your post or page content here.
</p>

While not an expert, for several years I've been doing simple WP sites for small biz, mostly authors and publishers for a few bucks... or free if I like them (or in return for some of their books.) I sometimes wonder if maybe people try to do too much with WP when a content management system like a Drupal might be a better choice?

Al

Changing font sizes can be a PITA in WP. With most themes you have to track them down in the CSS editor.

Many themes use a "base" size and then a percentage of that for the size. You may see "size 110%" If you want it larger make it 150% and see how it looks. And good luck finding the where in the CMS is the font for whatever part of WP you want to change. Look for "content" or "post" or "page" in the CSS.

Maybe a better way would be to hard code the "style" in each page/post.

Code:
<p style="font-family:arial;color:red;font-size:20px;">
Put your post or page content here.
</p>

While not an expert, for several years I've been doing simple WP sites for small biz, mostly authors and publishers for a few bucks... or free if I like them (or in return for some of their books.) I sometimes wonder if maybe people try to do too much with WP when a content management system like a Drupal might be a better choice?

Al

There are a lot of plug-ins that will make it easy to update and a lot of premium themes have options too.

Every time I click on the link it says access denied. I take that very personally and will not be putting any contracts with you. Unless of course you are offering free leads....:)

Scott is offering free clicks for folks from Indiana. Free leads for agents in the other 56 states.

Usually the title of the site (in the header... "FINAL EXPENSE CONTRACTING") is also a hot-link back to the home page. It's not necessary but people sort of expect that. Maybe your theme does not support it, but I've never seen one that didn't. Perhaps you forgot to put the site URL in Settings -> General or somewhere else (maybe the config php file... which normally you usually don't have to mess with in WP.)

Usually the title of the site (in the header... "FINAL EXPENSE CONTRACTING") is also a hot-link back to the home page. It's not necessary but people sort of expect that. Maybe your theme does not support it, but I've never seen one that didn't. Perhaps you forgot to put the site URL in Settings -> General or somewhere else (maybe the config php file... which normally you usually don't have to mess with in WP.)

I'll look into that but my home page is the lease interesting page on the site. Nothing to see there.

Back