CMS proposed rule petition

ValeRosso

Guru
For those who are interested:

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued a proposed rule that would significantly impact the ability of field marketing organizations (FMOs) to continue to support insurance providers, agents and brokers. And that would lead to increased costs and fewer coverage options for Medicare beneficiaries.

By joining our coalition to allow FMOs to continue to support agents and brokers, you’ll help ensure beneficiaries can still have access to numerous coverage options — without increasing costs to consumers.

You can sign the petition here:

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Home - Americans for Beneficiary Choice

"a proposed rule that would significantly impact the ability of field marketing organizations (FMOs) to continue to support insurance providers, agents and brokers. And that would lead to increased costs and fewer coverage options for Medicare beneficiaries."

I have a degree in finance, and cannot figure out how this part is true. Can anybody help me?

In theory, one could make the argument that the FMO provides value added benefits/services to the agents, which in turn pass on to beneficiaries.

Perhaps the enrollment platforms, enabling plan comparisons. Which allow agents to store prescription information, for comparison each year. The counter argument might be that this can be achieved on medicare dot gov. However, many agents are likely aware, not all beneficiaries are confident in doing such. And of those that are, many would still prefer an agent to confidently advise them where they are correct, and where they are not.

I think it would be naive to think the FMO's are not providing any value added benefits to the agents. Maybe the solution is not a complete gutting of the override, but instead an adjustment of the dollar values.

It's my understanding that the "marketing dollars" many high volume agencies receive for high levels of mapd enrollments, are also a significant portion of the operating budget for said agencies.

I have seen the same petition, primarily in FB. I agree, it is too vague.

In theory, one could make the argument that the FMO provides value added benefits/services to the agents, which in turn pass on to beneficiaries.

Perhaps the enrollment platforms, enabling plan comparisons. Which allow agents to store prescription information, for comparison each year. The counter argument might be that this can be achieved on medicare dot gov. However, many agents are likely aware, not all beneficiaries are confident in doing such. And of those that are, many would still prefer an agent to confidently advise them where they are correct, and where they are not.

I think it would be naive to think the FMO's are not providing any value added benefits to the agents. Maybe the solution is not a complete gutting of the override, but instead an adjustment of the dollar values.

It's my understanding that the "marketing dollars" many high volume agencies receive for high levels of mapd enrollments, are also a significant portion of the operating budget for said agencies.

I have seen the same petition, primarily in FB. I agree, it is too vague.
I'm not arguing that FMOs don't provide value to agents. I have no problem with my uplines, and think they mostly deserve an override. I have no problem with that one bit.

But to argue that my uplines not collecting commissions on my sales will lead to higher premiums and copays, and fewer benefits and options, to my customers is a bit of a stretch...

. If no marketing money or overrides crushes call centers I’m all for this new rule .They need to up agent comp $100 an app to cover enrollment software. But I’ll say my fmo has been very helpful in track down everything from commissions , wrong aor’s to disappearing members off my portal .

Back