Continuing Education Credits for Puerto Rico

helgaemines

Super Genius
San Juan
Hello Forum;

My Resident-License is in Puerto Rico, but I have Non-Resident licenses in other states. My question is, is it possible that I can take continuing education courses in a non-resident state and have them validated in my resident state?

Thank you!

I can only guess why you're asking. It must be difficult to find CE courses for Puerto Rico.

I sent a message to David McKnight (author of Power of Zero) to ask him since he lives in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure if he has a resident license there (because you can have a resident license where you primarily do business), but if/when he responds, I'll post his reply on where he does his CE.

I can only guess why you're asking. It must be difficult to find CE courses for Puerto Rico.

I sent a message to David McKnight (author of Power of Zero) to ask him since he lives in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure if he has a resident license there (because you can have a resident license where you primarily do business), but if/when he responds, I'll post his reply on where he does his CE.
Wao!!!! Thank you!!!!

He just responded:

"The big secret is that very few companies do business in PR so I have an office in IL which is where I have my resident license. Not sure on PR CEs."

So he has his business resident license in another state and does all his CE for that state. Very easy to do CE for every other state... than Puerto Rico.

That's the secret. :)

He just responded:

"The big secret is that very few companies do business in PR so I have an office in IL which is where I have my resident license. Not sure on PR CEs."

So he has his business resident license in another state and does all his CE for that state. Very easy to do CE for every other state... than Puerto Rico.

That's the secret. :)
Does he have a Resident-License in IL and lives in PR?

How is it possible?

There are websites like WebCE where you can just do all your CE online very easily... but Puerto Rico isn't listed. I do all my CE in under 2 hours using Sandi Kruise for California, but they don't list Puerto Rico either.

At this point, I think you've got two options:
1) Contact Puerto Rico's department of insurance and ask them (or search their website) about any approved CE providers. This would be the quicker way if your license will be expiring soon.
2) Apply for a resident license in another state. As long as you have a BUSINESS address for that state, you can have a resident license in that state. (Yes, I've even verified that myself for California) - as long as you have a verifiable business address for that state, you can maintain your resident license with it.

After that, you *may* need to convert your PR license to a non-resident license? I don't know, but you might want to check on that, especially if you want the CE to be reciprocal to your new resident state.

There are websites like WebCE where you can just do all your CE online very easily... but Puerto Rico isn't listed. I do all my CE in under 2 hours using Sandi Kruise for California, but they don't list Puerto Rico either.

1) Contact Puerto Rico's department of insurance and ask them (or search their website) about any approved CE providers. This would be the quicker way if your license will be expiring soon.
2) Apply for a resident license in another state. As long as you have a BUSINESS address for that state, you can have a resident license in that state. (Yes, I've even verified that myself for California) - as long as you have a verifiable business address for that state, you can maintain your resident license with it.

After that, you *may* need to convert your PR license to a non-resident license? I don't know, but you might want to check on that, especially if you want the CE to be reciprocal to your new resident state.
“Contact Puerto Rico's department of insurance and ask them (or search their website) about any approved CE providers. This would be the quicker way if your license will be expiring soon.”

I already did it, but the providers are primarily for P&C courses -by focus line is life insurance.

“Apply for a resident license in another state. As long as you have a BUSINESS address for that state, you can have a resident license in that state. (Yes, I've even verified that myself for California) - as long as you have a verifiable business address for that state, you can maintain your resident license with it.”

I have a physical address and non-resident license in TX (not sure if once I have a Non-Resident License is possible to change to Resident-License)

"After that, you *may* need to convert your PR license to a non-resident license? I don't know, but you might want to check on that, especially if you want the CE to be reciprocal to your new resident state."

I suppose I would have to change the Resident-License to Non-Resident License because I can't have two resident licenses, correct?

A non-resident license may not have any CE requirements. (Exceptions could be for California and selling an annuity to a California resident or similar situations.)

But that's why you'd want to convert it to a non-resident license. Ease of license management.

You COULD have two resident licenses, but I don't believe it makes sense to do so.

Back