Does Rank Really Matter?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I need someone to explain this.

Looking at 2 different sites, same industry, same focus. One site less than a year old the other is 10 yrs old. Both sites are PR 0.

The new site has 136 Google links, 2018 Yahoo links and an Alexa rank of 1,328,158.

The old site has 556 Google links, 231 Yahoo links and Alexa rank of 3,653,180.

The new site less than 50 unique visitors per day, the old site is 3,000.

What gives?

Visible page rank hasn't been updated in many months and is only one metric out of an algorithm with scores of variables.

Thx Malcolm.

Including Alexa?

I know there has been a lot of debate on Google PR but I thought Alexa and Compete were a bit more accurate.

And can you explain (simple terms please) why the older site has so much more unique traffic when evaluating the link count "disparity"?

Old site has more indexed links with google, likely has higher traffic keywords, a more compelling call to action, or some combination of those factors.

Somarco, I'm pretty sure the # of google or yahoo links is misleading. Many of the yahoo links may be from extensions of one url. For example, if you look at my yahoo backlinks from my insuranceblogbychris.com site, it says I have 1466 yahoo backlinks, but if you click on the # to see the backlinks, you'll see most of these are from one url, ncestateplanningblog.com. Also, the site that's going to rank better in search engines is not necessarily the one with more unique backlinks; it's the one with higher quality backlinks. A backlink from dmoz might be worth 1000 backlinks from low PR, no follow blog comments.

Thx Chris.

Seems like you posted on another thread you knew how to get a DMOZ listing. If so, I would like to talk to you.

bob at bobvineyard dot com

Back