Does Rank Really Matter?

PR doesn't matter in organic rankings, proved with time

This is incorrect.

For the most competitive keywords you will see that pagerank does matter. It's an indicator. While it's possible that someone's pagerank is stronger than the visible pagerank you're not going to see low PR sites ranking high for the really lofty insurance keywords. For something like [state] + [insurance type] you may be right under certain circumstances, but when you talk about something like [insurance quotes] you'll see that the PR matches up w/ the rankings fairly well.

This is incorrect.

For the most competitive keywords you will see that pagerank does matter. It's an indicator. While it's possible that someone's pagerank is stronger than the visible pagerank you're not going to see low PR sites ranking high for the really lofty insurance keywords. For something like [state] + [insurance type] you may be right under certain circumstances, but when you talk about something like [insurance quotes] you'll see that the PR matches up w/ the rankings fairly well.

"Final Expense" is a very highly sought after keyword - there are 7.1 million results for that kw. Check google and search without quotes and you will find our site 'SellFinalExpense.com' is ranked #2 - but our Pagerank is actually 0.

The #1 site is Efesonline.com which has a PR of 2.
The # 3 site is sellfinalexpensebyphone.com which also has a PR of 2.
The # 4 site is lhlic.com (Lincoln Heritage Life) which has a PR of 3.

As you can see The top ranked site has a PR of 2, with the 2nd ranked site having a PR of 0.

There's a lot more at work behind Google's seo algorithm than just pagerank, one has to have good onsite use of keywords. Each page needs to be targeted at 1 specific keyword.

Getting ranked is simply a science, and it is one that changes every 6 months or so.

check your PR again boys and girls.....google has updated the visible PR again....hehe
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Final Expense" is a very highly sought after keyword - there are 7.1 million results for that kw.

there are not 7.1 million pages that rank for "final expense"

thats broad match.

in fact only a little over 500 results are shown in googles index.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that if you search "final expense" in quotes you get less results - MOST people do not use quotes when searching.

I was talking about broad match rank, when I was talking about the positions for final expense.

Do a Broad match, and you will see. Though, our site SellFinalExpense.com has moved down a little since when I posted that earlier. - Been focusing on medicare supplement / advantage keywords the past week or so. Lot harder keywords to rank for than final expense.

check your PR again boys and girls.....google has updated the visible PR again....hehe
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

there are not 7.1 million pages that rank for "final expense"

thats broad match.

in fact only a little over 500 results are shown in googles index.

Yes, I know that if you search "final expense" in quotes you get less results - MOST people do not use quotes when searching.

I am not referring to " ", if you click to last page, change your settings to 100 results per page, it ends at the top of page 6, is about under 600 results.

I think that if you ranked NFL running backs by speed, you would find a pretty good overlap between the list of the fastest 20 and the list of the best 20 running backs.

However since there are other pertinent factors such as strength and skill, you are not likely to find a 100% correlation.

Page rank does not take relevance into account. Ranking in the SERPs does take relevance to a specific query into account.

In another words - for any given query - you can overcome a lower relative page rank by having body text that is more relevant to the query and inbound links with anchor text that is more relevant to the query.

By the way page rank is named after Larry Page.

Back