Does UHC Require Underwriting to Go from Plan N to F?

This is true for AARP branded UHC Medicare supplements. I am not sure if it is true for non-AARP branded UHC supplements. And I only speak for the state of Florida. I suppose it could be different from state to state. maybe you can verify it with one of the phone-brokers on this forum that sells in multiple states.

This can be found on pg 17, under "plan change situations" of the producer's handbook. It only applies to "modernized supplement to modernized supplements" (supplements effective 6/1/2010 or later)

It is also my understanding, that if the customer called AARP on their own to change the plan, you will lose AOR, and the commission renewals. So it is best if you go to their house and write a paper application to change the plan mannually (but without asking the med questions)

I am not aware of any waiting period.

Two issues.

1) To get a real answer call UHC (although you already have the correct info).

2) You plan on recruiting but don't know how to get the answers?

Rick

In my experience calling AARP/UHC doesn't necessarily get you the right answer with this issue.When we were first told about how easy it was to change plans effective after 6/2010 just by a phone call to UHC I would have my customers call in to AARP to switch until one of them who wanted to switch plans informed me the AARP/UHC telesales agent was sending out a new application to this client which would have taken me out of the picture as AOR.I call AARP/UHC to ask about this and they confirmed this is how it is done so I had to called the regional field agent manager and he confirmed the telesales agent was wrong and supposedly made a call to them.I don't tell customers to call AARP/UHC to switch anymore.

Another inconsistency I found is that supposedly if the AARP plan was effective before 6/2010 there would be underwriting however I was at a customers house and his lady friend had an plan E she took out at 65 that she was paying over 200.00 for . I had her call AARP to switch it to F and informed her she should still get the age 65 rate of 183.75 if she could answer no to the underwriting questions.This was all on speakerphone so after the AARP telesales agent processed the switch to F and confirmed the age 65 premium I asked if there was any health questions he needed to ask and he said it is not required.Funny thing is a few years ago when they were still paying agents in Fl for non standardized to standardized switches we were told that underwriting was required.

Is it true that UHC/AARP and their agents use scare tactics to convince seniors to buy their Medigap plan or is that just the other carriers and agents?

Is it true that UHC/AARP and their agents use scare tactics to convince seniors to buy their Medigap plan or is that just the other carriers and agents?

No agent should use scare tactics to sell any carriers Med supps . Fortunately for us agents for the most part no selling is required to sell the concept of med supp coverage because seniors are already conditioned to the fact that they should have one .The selling part comes in having them by the policy from you.

I called with a client switching from a plan N to a plan F and the rep rolled right into the health questions at which point I interrupted and asked about "the move rule" and the rep told me that moving to a plan with MORE benefits required underwriting.

I called with a client switching from a plan N to a plan F and the rep rolled right into the health questions at which point I interrupted and asked about "the move rule" and the rep told me that moving to a plan with MORE benefits required underwriting.

Strange. I know in Florida you don't have to.

Could be a state by state but in Fl there is no underwriting for post modernization med supp switching up or down- or least there wasn't last time I did this.Could be because telesales agent was wrong or it could be because this benefit is not in writing anywhere and they recently changed the rules.

You point out another inconsistency with their rules.I have been told by the AARP/UHC customer service that they are not allowed to have agents on 3 way calls with members but the field agent manager for AARP/UHC med supp sales for SouthEastern States said it is allowed.

Could be a state by state but in Fl there is no underwriting for post modernization med supp switching up or down- or least there wasn't last time I did this.Could be because telesales agent was wrong or it could be because this benefit is not in writing anywhere and they recently changed the rules. You point out another inconsistency with their rules.I have been told by the AARP/UHC customer service that they are not allowed to have agents on 3 way calls with members but the field agent manager for AARP/UHC med supp sales for SouthEastern States said it is allowed.

The beginning of January I did a 3 way call to switch a client from N to F

I met with a T65 prospect last week and he asked me this same question. I called the UHC producer helpdesk, they told me that a Plan N member just needs to call and request change to Plan F, no underwriting required. I was pretty surprised, so I asked to talk to someone else there and got the same answer.

Hopefully this helps.

Back