Empathy in Your Sales Call

The original post seemed to be more about how to conduct yourself during a sales interview, not so much on the initial phone call. It also seemed to be a general sales blog post, not directed at final expense, or even insurance for that matter. When I sold advertising, we were taught "consultative selling". In that sales environment, the op's advice is spot-on. In life insurance, a total needs approach requires this type of mindset as well. Final Expense, on the other hand, is a single need presentation. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be empathetic and listen to the client's needs and wants. But it's more of a directed presentation than a consultative interview.

Some excellent help for this type of sale was in a little booklet called "Single Need Selling". It was part of my training when I first started with a debit company back in the last century. I think it was published by LIMRA. I had a copy, but haven't been able to find it since moving 11 years ago. Do any of you old debit dawgs have a copy I could borrow for 2-3 weeks?

Last edited:
The original post seemed to be more about how to conduct yourself during a sales interview, not so much on the initial phone call. It also seemed to be a general sales blog post, not directed at final expense, or even insurance for that matter. When I sold advertising, we were taught "consultative selling". In that sales environment, the op's advice is spot-on. In life insurance, a total needs approach requires this type of mindset as well. Final Expense, on the other hand, is a single need presentation. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be empathetic and listen to the client's needs and wants. But it's more of a directed presentation than a consultative interview.

The best material I've ever read on this type of sale was a booklet called "Single Need Selling". It was part of my training when I first started with a debit company back in the last century. I think it was published by LIMRA. I had a copy, but haven't been able to find it since moving 11 years ago. Do any of you old debit dawgs have a copy I could borrow for 2-3 weeks?

That's probably right except that he said for use in "setting appointments".

That's probably right except that he said for use in "setting appointments".
You're right, they did say "on the phone" in the first couple sentences! But the main body of the post looks like it was copied & pasted from somewhere else, where they probably talk about sales in general.

Some excellent help for this type of sale was in a little booklet called "Single Need Selling". It was part of my training when I first started with a debit company back in the last century. I think it was published by LIMRA. I had a copy, but haven't been able to find it since moving 11 years ago. Do any of you old debit dawgs have a copy I could borrow for 2-3 weeks?

I'm an old dawg now but I was a debit dawg when I was young...

Haven't seen the booklet you talk about but would like to.

I just got my licenses after they expired 19 years ago when I moved to the Sunshine State. Going to take a big swing at FE

I'm an old dawg now but I was a debit dawg when I was young... Haven't seen the booklet you talk about but would like to. I just got my licenses after they expired 19 years ago when I moved to the Sunshine State. Going to take a big swing at FE
if I ever come across it, maybe I can scan it into a PDF file so others can read it. Best wishes on your return to the biz!

Back