Final Expense Lead Source and Companies

Wow! It seems like I stepped on someone's toes!

I don't recall giving advice on how to sell FE. What I did do is post how I thought through an offer to sell FE through discounted leads at a reduced commission, using numbers posted on this forum by experts like Hoosier Daddy and Stratos, as well as Newby.

So far, Newby has not castigated me...

I guess if you post on this forum, there are some that will rip you if they disagree. Would you want to work for someone like that?

Wow! It seems like I stepped on someone's toes!

I don't recall giving advice on how to sell FE. What I did do is post how I thought through an offer to sell FE through discounted leads at a reduced commission, using numbers posted on this forum by experts like Hoosier Daddy and Stratos, as well as Newby.

So far, Newby has not castigated me...

I guess if you post on this forum, there are some that will rip you if they disagree. Would you want to work for someone like that?

Newby is a lover not a fighter. The other reason Newby hasn't castigated you is...Newby doesn't know what castigated means.

I've read this thread twice and I can't follow it. I don't know what the argruing is about.

I do know that Hoosier Daddy and Stratoes are the KINGS of final expense for agents who want a turn-key program that works IF you will get out of bed and work it every day.

................ program that works IF you will get out of bed and work it every day.

Amen Brother! IMHO this is the one variable that causes most of the failure in this business. Some people just can't ever catch on to the whole "WORK" principle.

I have weighed in previously (at length) concerning the fixed lead cost with lower contract versus higher contract while assuming lead cost yourself battle, so I will not do it again here.

Whatever system you choose to use, just make sure that you are committed to it and you work your tail off to to be successful.

TRAINING is the variable that is missing in everyone’s formulas for success.

Dr. Kuhn123, when you came into the business you did not just call up Main Street Power mailers and begin ordering yourself 2,000 mailers weekly. Correct me if I am wrong but you came in under an IMO that taught you the A’s and B’s of selling Final Expense. And you learned from some very good FE guys. As did Stratos and I. That was your building blocks that allowed you to evolve into the Independent “Big Shooter” you are today.

I am just empathetic for the “Average Joe’s” that get their insurance license, and will read post like Ed’s that tells him he will close 25% of his leads. And when he looks and sees Ed (aka Retread) has 1,200 posts, he will have a costly delusion that Ed knows what he is talking about, and not have full disclosure that Ed has never sold a FE policy in his life.

I just think it is naive, to use the same closing ratio as Dr. Kuhn123 for the “Average Joe’s” from Mortgage Protection or from the car lot. It sounds good, and you can really fill a guy with delusions of grandeur, but it is not reality.

Now i know i have never sold an FE before, i have family that have, and what i can gather is, training should only be a week long, whats there to learn?
Treat the seniors like your own grandparents
ask qualifying questions
and build value
get them to sign?
just know your competitors prices and educate them.
I dont know if giving away all that commission is worth one week of training?
sure there are a few tricks of the trade....
again havent sold it yet, but intend to, maybe i will be humbled and forced to repost to redact this.

New agents - beware of the sharks! I have read and reread all of the "advice" offered on this forum and especially this thread. There are two types of folks on here - recruiters and new agents that are trying to figure out which way to go. Unfortunately, there are too many recruiters on here trying to sway agents that they are the "experts" in final expense. The only training that is offered through anybody is online audio or video and conference calls. Back in the day(1990) for me - someone rode in the car with me and showed me the ropes...for that I am still thankful to this day for the training. The one thing that they did not have to teach me was how to WORK...I all ready had work ethic and with a little training, I was off and running. If you do not have a good work ethic, then take a look in the mirror and realize it - then do yourself a favor and seek another profession, because this(fe)will never work for you.

If anyone tries to recruit you - ask them how much overwrite they will be getting on your contract...then ask yourself if this recruiter is going to EARN that 25 - 50 percent overwrite. For that price they better be willing to get on a plane if necessary, go to where you are and get in the car with you. If they will do that - then great - they probably will be able to earn that overwrite. If not, then don't sign a contract would be my advice. These recruiters are building their sales volume and padding their pockets. If they will not give you a straight answer, then your gut should lead you from there.

How about we that have some experience, try to simply offer some sound advice to new agents...help someone get into this business and better the lives of others. I can tell you this, as a college graduate there are a lot of things I could do other than this - but nothing I know of other than being a surgeon that will generate the same income as working in insurance and specifically fe.

I suppose I will come under verbal attack from the guru recruiters that bash each other back and forth on here - but I for one am tired of the sharks that are taking advantage of new agents and earning ridiculous overwrite commissions for doing nothing.

For new agents, choose your path - trust who you are dealing with and then go to work with everything that you've got.

New agents - beware of the sharks! I have read and reread all of the "advice" offered on this forum and especially this thread. There are two types of folks on here - recruiters and new agents that are trying to figure out which way to go. Unfortunately, there are too many recruiters on here trying to sway agents that they are the "experts" in final expense. The only training that is offered through anybody is online audio or video and conference calls. Back in the day(1990) for me - someone rode in the car with me and showed me the ropes...for that I am still thankful to this day for the training. The one thing that they did not have to teach me was how to WORK...I all ready had work ethic and with a little training, I was off and running. If you do not have a good work ethic, then take a look in the mirror and realize it - then do yourself a favor and seek another profession, because this(fe)will never work for you.

If anyone tries to recruit you - ask them how much overwrite they will be getting on your contract...then ask yourself if this recruiter is going to EARN that 25 - 50 percent overwrite. For that price they better be willing to get on a plane if necessary, go to where you are and get in the car with you. If they will do that - then great - they probably will be able to earn that overwrite. If not, then don't sign a contract would be my advice. These recruiters are building their sales volume and padding their pockets. If they will not give you a straight answer, then your gut should lead you from there.

How about we that have some experience, try to simply offer some sound advice to new agents...help someone get into this business and better the lives of others. I can tell you this, as a college graduate there are a lot of things I could do other than this - but nothing I know of other than being a surgeon that will generate the same income as working in insurance and specifically fe.

I suppose I will come under verbal attack from the guru recruiters that bash each other back and forth on here - but I for one am tired of the sharks that are taking advantage of new agents and earning ridiculous overwrite commissions for doing nothing.

For new agents, choose your path - trust who you are dealing with and then go to work with everything that you've got.

Now I know why you are called the Straightshooter !

Excellent post ! :yes:

One thing I've learned when I came into the insurance business about six years ago, that there were too many people trying to be my friend, mentor, teacher, or what ever else they called themselves, as long as they reached deeply into my pockets.

The only way to make it in this business is to get out of bed, learn as much as you can about your product, be honest with people, and work every day with the same enthusiasm that you came into this business with. And as emptyeternity said, "treat seniors like your own Grandparents"

Don't give away commission to people that don't earn it.

Selling FE is just like selling other consumable items -

Just pick up the phone and make the calls. . .

Good Luck,

Tom

Last edited:

Straight Shooter, there is some truth to what you are saying. BUT if the newbies just use the search feature on the forum they will find a WEALTH of free information on this forum from many of us long-time posters including myself, Travis and Dan.

I personally don't recruit anyone. For a short time I was offering ForeThought contracts and Cincinnati Equitable and that was only because they were unique products at that time that were not available elsewhere.

I do believe if a new green agent wants to get selling and making money as quickly as possible and have a trainer and mentor, it is worth something. I've had plenty of agents call me from all over the country and I've given them lots of my time and free information BUT most of them couldn't walk away from that phone call and go out and do it. They need training and mentoring to be successful.

That is why I often send people to Travis and Dan. I know they are legit. I know they can help agents. There are definitely better commission contracts available for do-it-yourselfers. But SOME people will fail trying it on their own. And those same people would succeed with some guidance.

It's just like the argrument that all captive agents should be independent brokers because they would make more commission percentage. But if you think about it, many new agents would have died on the vine if they would have been independent from day one.

If you're an agent who is selling a ton of policies but aren't happy with the money you're making (I don't know any) then I agree you probably need better contracts. If on the other hand, you have good contracts but you aren't making great money (I know plenty like this) you would benefit from a great training program and the bottom line is you would make more money even if you don't make as much per deal.

Hi I am new to the forum and to final expense. Been selling health insurance for 6 years and recently made the jump to FE and I just wanted to post and say that HoosierDaddy is correct about what he is saying. So listen up all you you rookies. I work with this same group and as of January 18 2009 I have sold over 18,000 AP and 25 policies. They have it figured out! Hope this helps.

Back