Doug is my FMO and he knows about my plight. He does not work this far north, but if he wants to that is fine with me. I invite anyone to come to Okaloosa and Walton counties and share their results. Maybe they would make some money, maybe not.

What about AL? Do you sell there? Or even GA or MS?

I agree. I have sold a good deal here in Florida. Just curious if the state really is different than others as I always hear from FMO's.
I don't know if FL is different from all states. Every part of every state has their own culture. Southeastern Virginia was a great area for FE when I lived there. North Texas is a lot harder. I've heard the Atlanta area is pretty difficult, too. Sounds like Florida may be harder, as well. I suspect the area @billyb works is similar to some of the areas I've worked in North Texas. Tough crowd!

After leaving a debit company 12 years ago, I tried to build a pure FE agency running DM leads here, but the area is pretty heavily saturated. I've done better here by working a mix of FE and Home Service (debit). There are some debit agents over there in FL doing pretty well. (As a matter of fact, the VP for LBL over the Home Service division is in Stuart, FL.) I just looked at the LBL Home Service leaderboard. 3 of the top 25 producers year to date are in FL, including the #2 guy in the division. So people are buying in FL. You just have to figure out how to find them.

Last edited:
I don't know if FL is different from all states. Every part of every state has their own culture. Southeastern Virginia was a great area for FE when I lived there. North Texas is a lot harder. I've heard the Atlanta area is pretty difficult, too. Sounds like Florida may be harder, as well. I suspect the area @billyb works is similar to some of the areas I've worked in North Texas. Tough crowd!

After leaving a debit company 12 years ago, I tried to build a pure FE agency running DM leads here, but the area is pretty heavily saturated. I've done better here by working a mix of FE and Home Service (debit). There are some debit agents over there in FL doing pretty well. (As a matter of fact, the VP for LBL over the Home Service division is in Stuart, FL.) I just looked at the LBL Home Service leaderboard. 3 of the top 25 producers year to date are in FL, including the #2 guy in the division. So people are buying in FL. You just have to figure out how to find them.
Thanks shonceman. That is exactly the kind of data based feedback I was looking for!

I have heard from FMOs, seminar mailing companies and now FE DM companies and FE IMO/FMOs that FL is a different monster. I would like to hear from any producers out there that have produced in FL and other states as well what there take is on this opinion.

Thanks in advance,

And anybody here can correct me if I am wrong, but I am new to insurance but been in direct sales for about 10 years. Every state I am told has its pros and cons. I am in Massachusetts, used to be in New York. I was in the Home Improvement and the Security system industry.

When I was in the Home Improvement industry, our manufacturer flew in the #1 rep in the US to our northeast meeting. He was from South Carolina and closing at 70% and was getting almost all his leads Canvassing. He came up and said that week he was going to be running leads and training people. After the week was over he came in and only sold 2 deals. First thing he said was "You people up north are SO mean up here."

Basically what I heard was is down south people are more open to open doors, answer phones. Versus the Northeast where people just hate each other and want everything online.

However it could be argues that he just was a good closer and because he was in an area that opened alot more doors, gave him more opportunity, he was able to close the deal.

I have heard from FMOs, seminar mailing companies and now FE DM companies and FE IMO/FMOs that FL is a different monster.

Having done "sales" road trips to Georgia, S Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, I can say without hesitation that Most of the areas I worked on those trips, are a LOT easier to sell in than my Usual Florida spots.

Last week I sold a Haitian couple, a Jamaican lady, Philippine lady, retirees from Rhode Island, New York, and Virginia, a Puerto Rican, a couple of African/Americans, and A Florida Cracker.

The approach/presentation done with Haitians is done differently than with Puerto-Ricans as they have completely different attitudes towards "who should be responsible" for taking care of the final expenses.

Having done "sales" road trips to Georgia, S Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, I can say without hesitation that Most of the areas I worked on those trips, are a LOT easier to sell in than my Usual Florida spots.

Last week I sold a Haitian couple, a Jamaican lady, Philippine lady, retirees from Rhode Island, New York, and Virginia, a Puerto Rican, a couple of African/Americans, and A Florida Cracker.

The approach/presentation done with Haitians is done differently than with Puerto-Ricans as they have completely different attitudes towards "who should be responsible" for taking care of the final expenses.

Which mail house is now offering a minority filter?

Back