Gas card or Amazon gift card at Medicare educational events ..?

Perhaps you're correct ... but it's based on event experience ... have you ever conducted one ..?
Yes, I have been doing Medicare seminars since before they were cool.

I have even spied on my competition over the years by attending their seminars, and conducted my own with several different formats and locations. I've seen the free gas cards in the works, free dinners etc..

I get less attendees by not bribing people to attend with free stuff, but the people that do attend are hungry for the information I provide, and they find value in it. As a result, on the low side I close 50% of the attendees. I usually only don't close an attendee if they have an amazing retirement plan through something like the UAW.

And the people I do close become customers for life. The ones that are easily enticed by giveaways will leave you the first time Joe Nameth cold calls them.

I suppose it's really dependent on how you want to build your business. I don't enjoy running all over town writing 40 apps per month, and having 20 fall off the books every month.

Some people like that, they enjoy the thrill of the hunt and sale. That's fine. If that's your preference, you will probably do fine with the plate lickers.

Yes, I have been doing Medicare seminars since before they were cool.

I have even spied on my competition over the years by attending their seminars, and conducted my own with several different formats and locations. I've seen the free gas cards in the works, free dinners etc..

I get less attendees by not bribing people to attend with free stuff, but the people that do attend are hungry for the information I provide, and they find value in it. As a result, on the low side I close 50% of the attendees. I usually only don't close an attendee if they have an amazing retirement plan through something like the UAW.

And the people I do close become customers for life. The ones that are easily enticed by giveaways will leave you the first time Joe Nameth cold calls them.

I suppose it's really dependent on how you want to build your business. I don't enjoy running all over town writing 40 apps per month, and having 20 fall off the books every month.

Some people like that, they enjoy the thrill of the hunt and sale. That's fine. If that's your preference, you will probably do fine with the plate lickers.
Did you use reg. mailing lists and post cards? Here's a card from last year ... do you have one ..?1705157858876.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you use reg. mailing lists and post cards? Here's a card from last year ... do you have one ..?View attachment 10735
Yes, I use T65 mailing lists. Used several different companies over the years, haven't noticed a huge difference from one to another. Currently I been using youleadstore

The postcard I use, I have designed myself, modified slightly over the years. I have them RSVP to a Google voice number I have set up that goes straight to voicemail. It directs them to leave their name and which event they will be attending. When they do this I capture their phone number as well.
I roll my lists and scrub them every month as well, making the mailings more efficient as the year goes on

Yes, I use T65 mailing lists. Used several different companies over the years, haven't noticed a huge difference from one to another. Currently I been using youleadstore

The postcard I use, I have designed myself, modified slightly over the years. I have them RSVP to a Google voice number I have set up that goes straight to voicemail. It directs them to leave their name and which event they will be attending. When they do this I capture their phone number as well.
I roll my lists and scrub them every month as well, making the mailings more efficient as the year goes on
Interesting ... we've had success with it ... then C vid did a number ... we used to do like a $5 "snack bag ..." folks appreciated it ... I get your point about about "bribing" (which is a strong word) but like I said earlier ... unless they are going into medicare at 65 which we both know over 50% of them are not ... a "com-pliable" incentive (NOT BRIBE) may not be a bad idea ... When I put myself in the prospect's place I envision this ... "I know you're not going into Medicare until next year (could be anywhere from 66 - 70+) Helen, but they are 15 mins. away, it won't cost us anything to sit there for an hour and a half ..." We've had people attend and 5 years and two months later, contact us to become a client ... he retired at 70 ... my point again of course is, how many people like that, saw the card, liked it, were interested but because they knew they were 1 - 5 years out ... didn't attend ...? Let me ask you this. When you do the T65 list, how many cards would each address receive before coming off your mailing list?

Medical Mutual hed a bunch of Medicare Advantage seminars over AEP in my area ... they used a $15 gas card to entice ... they had a good turn out ... thoughts ..?
Wanted to point out a side issue here. Per your AHIP training, an Amazon gift card would be prohibited, as it is considered a cash equivalent. A gasoline card would be OK if it doesn't exceed $15.

That TLC outfit in Cleveland, referenced in the image, is reputable and compliant, AFAIK. My past dealings with them were always good.

Good heads up on the Amazon ... doesn't make sense when compared to a gas card but hey, it's a govt. reg. so why would it have to ..? Thx.

I would ignore the concern that if you write business "it won't stick."

I've heard that a million times. Write an internet lead, it won't stick. Write off a philipino telemarketer, it won't stick. Write a DM lead, it won't stick. Write a dual, it won't stick.

Meanwhile I have people on the books that I wrote using all those methods with great persistency. It's still medicare which is inherently "sticky" as many can't change after t65.

I would ignore the concern that if you write business "it won't stick."

I've heard that a million times. Write an internet lead, it won't stick. Write off a philipino telemarketer, it won't stick. Write a DM lead, it won't stick. Write a dual, it won't stick.

Meanwhile I have people on the books that I wrote using all those methods with great persistency. It's still medicare which is inherently "sticky" as many can't change after t65.
Nice to have my thoughts affirmed. I agree, if you are good with people then it's about getting in front of them ... we compete against people's laziness ... let's face it, they are out here, clicking online, procrastinating ... back in at a later date ... click some more ... the meal or the trinket is the only thing we have to compete with these cyber brokers ... that and the local thing ... to the naysayers, let me just say, you ARE going to invest money one way or the other to market ...

Last edited:
Back