Groups to Speak in Front Of?

I'm a relatively new agent trying to build clientele. I'd like to give presentations, but I don't currently have the capital to put on seminars. I've known agents who've been invited to speak before congregations or employees of a company. I wonder if anyone on here has any ideas along these lines? Are there any organizations or societies or what-have-you that I should be courting for a chance to give a short presentation of products? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Many civic groups are looking for speakers, those who can be informative and entertaining without promoting an agenda. Contact local groups, give them a vitae and general outline of topics. Once you get a few under your belt if you are good the word will get out.

The easiest way to get an audience is through your local public libraries. They have facilities and access to a local audience. They routinely sponsor speaker seminars and publicize the events on their website and with fliers on bulletin boards, etc. Put together a presentation outline that addresses a specific need for a specific audience and get started.

I'm a relatively new agent trying to build clientele. I'd like to give presentations, but I don't currently have the capital to put on seminars. I've known agents who've been invited to speak before congregations or employees of a company. I wonder if anyone on here has any ideas along these lines? Are there any organizations or societies or what-have-you that I should be courting for a chance to give a short presentation of products? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

On July 8th, I am speaking to the local Kiwanis clubs, about Medicare and Medicare supplements, and it didn't cost me a penny.

I am a Kiwanian, and I am reponsible for lining up guest speakers every Tuesday for the month of July. I had 3 dates open, and asked 3 people to do it, and those 3 people agreed. It is a great oppotunity to get in front of people.

Try Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions Club, etc., they are full of seniors and folks my age, which is 46, who are financially able to buy insurance products. Also try referral groups like BNI,etc.

Last edited:
I also echo the public library option. I have a local library that will allow me to reserve a room that seats up to 100 people... for only $25! (Now, according to library policies, I'm limited to using the library up to 2x per month... oh darn!) :)

Invite as many people as you can to watch you speak - and even give you pointers for improvement. This is how you invite the people that you KNOW to hear about what you do and how you do it.

When you reserve the room at the library, reserve it for 2-3 dates. This way, at the end, you can invite them to bring a friend to your NEXT workshop. (Have invitation flyers to your next event to hand out at the end.)

Have an evaluation form. On the evaluation form, ask if this information would be beneficial to: employer groups, local trade associations or community organizations. List examples of the groups you WANT to speak to - such as the HR association.

How do you promote your workshop? Have a well-written flyer with a great headline. Hand it out to businesses around the location of your workshop. Invite them to RSVP on your website - and get their email address to email them on an occasional basis.

1. Don't talk about product; talk about strategy
2. Don't bring an appointment book; invite people to let you contact them
3. Pick another library

The easiest way to get an audience is through your local public libraries. They have facilities and access to a local audience. They routinely sponsor speaker seminars and publicize the events on their website and with fliers on bulletin boards, etc. Put together a presentation outline that addresses a specific need for a specific audience and get started.
If you're in Tucson, don't bother with the libraries. They only let non-profit groups use their facilities.

Last I was there, San Diego didn't have that restriction. Company I was working with at the time did several in Pacific Beach's library branch.

M
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. Don't talk about product; talk about strategy
2. Don't bring an appointment book; invite people to let you contact them
3. Pick another library
I'll add: have em sign up for a gift card somewhere where they're gonna like to shop. Fill out a questionnaire with name/addy/phone/whether anything you heard was important to see me about later.

Yeah, you'll get a few that fill out something in order to win, but there's usually enough business in there to weed those out.

I've done a grand total of one seminar. They were riveted. I had em in the palm of my hand. BUT... ...no appointments. ...nuthin. Course, I didn't spend anything but about an hour anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss.

Things I did wrong:
1. no drawing/name card
2. low income housing (HUD managed)
3. did I mention no name card/drawing?

Hope that helps someone

M

Last edited:
Back