How to Prevent “I Want to Think About It” Objection

Tampa Bay Rep

Guru
100+ Post Club
Here is a six minute video that I thought might be of interest to agents on the forum by best selling author and sales trainer Jeffrey Gitomer on preventing the dreaded "I want to think about it" objection from coming up during your sales call:

Aged Insurance Leads Sales Training Video -Jeffrey Gitomer

What do you think? Good? Bad? Plus what are some of the ways you circumvent this objection from coming up or if it does come up what do you say to try to overcome the objection at that point? How often does your rebuttal result in a sale?

I have always used the following when a customer says "I (we) want to think about it"

I totally understand Mr. and Mrs. customer, but there are only 2 times when people think about it.

1) When it is fresh in your mind and you can make an informed and educated decision and I bet you know when the second time people think about it is (silent, they will answer) you got it, when its to late so lets get the application submitted along with the 1st month premium.

I have always used the following when a customer says "I (we) want to think about it"

I totally understand Mr. and Mrs. customer, but there are only 2 times when people think about it.

1) When it is fresh in your mind and you can make an informed and educated decision and I bet you know when the second time people think about it is (silent, they will answer) you got it, when its to late so lets get the application submitted along with the 1st month premium.

I like that one better than the one they thought me in training at Combined Insurance over 20 years ago.

Mr. Jones - you can wait and I can wait but a heart attack sure as heck fire won't wait . I am right or am I right ? I am right .... right,right, right

I like that one better than the one they thought me in training at Combined Insurance over 20 years ago.

Mr. Jones - you can wait and I can wait but a heart attack sure as heck fire won't wait . I am right or am I right ? I am right .... right,right, right

That is almost as bad as the liberty life agent who when he was told no, he walked over to the kitchen light switch, turned of the lights, ans said "that is what you just did to your family"... he was told to get the F out.

bing.png

"I have always used the following when a customer says "I (we) want to think about it"

1) When it is fresh in your mind and you can make an informed and educated decision and I bet you know when the second time people think about it is (silent, they will answer) you got it, when its to late so lets get the application submitted along with the 1st month premium. "

That's a great retort, I will use that one...

Thats okay, because the insurance carrier want's to think about it too. So if we get a couple of signatures and set up the paramed, you'll have 4-6 weeks to decide. Is that enough time for you to think it over?

If you get the need to think it objection very often then you are just not doing a good job of finding the need/want up front and then adressing the need/want in the presentation.

I do in the neighborhood of 500 presentations per year and I can count on one hand the "think about it" objections I get in a year.

Early in my career when I didn't know what I was doing I would get that objection a lot.

Bottom line, hone your skills and the objections fall away.

That is a good rebuttal to the objection.

If you get the need to think it objection very often then you are just not doing a good job of finding the need/want up front and then adressing the need/want in the presentation.

I do in the neighborhood of 500 presentations per year and I can count on one hand the "think about it" objections I get in a year.

Early in my career when I didn't know what I was doing I would get that objection a lot.

Bottom line, hone your skills and the objections fall away.

Sage advice from an experienced pro.

Good point. Not only is important to know what to say it's also just important to know what not to use when you are presented something like that in training.

Back