How to Prevent “I Want to Think About It” Objection

Too many agents spend their time with prospects who are "just looking." When they do close a sale it usually takes two or three appointments. Until you become a highly successful agent with loads of referrals, becoming a highly skilled prospector is of utmost importance.

Then, you can meet with high probability prospects who are most likely to buy.

I have sold to plenty of "just lookings"

I have sold to plenty of "just lookings"

"Just looking" is often a knee jerk reaction to anyone seen as a salesman. It is just noise.

What you should run from is, "I'm here to buy, who wants to sell me?" That person is often just looking to jerk your chain.

"Just looking" is often a knee jerk reaction to anyone seen as a salesman. It is just noise.

What you should run from is, "I'm here to buy, who wants to sell me?" That person is often just looking to jerk your chain.

I agree.. I believe just looking is a result of the the process... Are they a decision maker? How was the appt set? Is the presentation geared towards you or them?

There's a lot of factors but could be from the start, middle or end of the process. That's why I love meeting with c level people.. You either get a yes or no. No maybes

Who cares how the appt is set? The job is to just get in front of people.

Not for me... My "job" is to make sales. Getting in front of people doesn't do anything for me. I need to be in front of the right people and for the right reasons so how the appt is set means everything.

You don't know you are in front of the wrong people until you are in front of them. I have sold to people who initially seemed the worst customer and failed to close some that seemed the best. I will present to anyone willing to meet with me.

I have always used the following when a customer says "I (we) want to think about it"

I totally understand Mr. and Mrs. customer, but there are only 2 times when people think about it.

1) When it is fresh in your mind and you can make an informed and educated decision and I bet you know when the second time people think about it is (silent, they will answer) you got it, when its to late so lets get the application submitted along with the 1st month premium.

Great answer. I think it is important to remember to always wait for them to say something back, no matter how long the silence is.

I start closing as soon as I sit down. I am not reluctant to quote on phone and sometimes I will get as much info as possible on phone. I close almost every sale and get many referrals. This is not a hard business. I can usually tell very quickly what outcome will be.

Back