How to Prevent “I Want to Think About It” Objection

If you get the need to think it objection very often then you are just not doing a good job of finding the need/want up front and then adressing the need/want in the presentation.

I do in the neighborhood of 500 presentations per year and I can count on one hand the "think about it" objections I get in a year.

Early in my career when I didn't know what I was doing I would get that objection a lot.

Bottom line, hone your skills and the objections fall away.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner...good advice. If they have to think about, the salesperson didn't do a good job..."sales techniques" such as takeaways, urgency creation, etc. is complete b.s...it's about listening to people, asking questions to uncover their needs....when you get that down, you don't have to close or ask for sales, the consumer is going to ask you what the next step is..

If they have to think about, the salesperson didn't do a good job..."sales techniques" such as takeaways, urgency creation, etc. is complete b.s...it's about listening to people, asking questions to uncover their needs....when you get that down, you don't have to close or ask for sales, the consumer is going to ask you what the next step is..

I don't know why this is so hard to learn. When I see "experienced" agents talking about the hard close I am not impressed.

Here is a six minute video that I thought might be of interest to agents on the forum by best selling author and sales trainer Jeffrey Gitomer on preventing the dreaded "I want to think about it" objection from coming up during your sales call:

Aged Insurance Leads Sales Training Video -Jeffrey Gitomer

What do you think? Good? Bad? Plus what are some of the ways you circumvent this objection from coming up or if it does come up what do you say to try to overcome the objection at that point? How often does your rebuttal result in a sale?

Gitomer was right - it's NOT about response. It's about prevention.

I ask tons of questions - fact finding. My "presentation" is nothing more than showing them what they wanted after a comprehensive fact find.

Ask closed-ended questions.
Then ask open-ended questions.

Closed-ended questions get the facts and details, the open ended questions get to the heart of what they really want and invite them to talk...I listen and take notes.

Gitomer was right - it's NOT about response. It's about prevention.

I ask tons of questions - fact finding. My "presentation" is nothing more than showing them what they wanted after a comprehensive fact find.

Ask closed-ended questions.
Then ask open-ended questions.

Closed-ended questions get the facts and details, the open ended questions get to the heart of what they really want and invite them to talk...I listen and take notes.

Very good points. Structuring your presentation to prevent objections is key.

If they have to think about it, there's either something still uncovered, you didn't explain something well, or they missed it.

I respond "Normally when people say that there are still some questions and I haven't explained something well enough. What exactly is it you'll be thinking about?"

I love this objection. To me, it means there is interest. I respond by explaining the policy again or asking more questions to clarify what they want. Either way, I keep the conversation going.

I have a high closing ratio when I get this objection. I hope to eventually get good enough at presenting to have very few objections. But until then, I'll keep using this approach.

You can defuse this almost all the time during your Q&A. But if you sense there is hesitation, take control by asking "Have we covered everything or do you still have questions?".

If you do the Q&A properly, and anticipate unanswered questions, you will not get the think about it detour.

If they still want to think about it you have not established a relationship of trust.

You can defuse this almost all the time during your Q&A. But if you sense there is hesitation, take control by asking "Have we covered everything or do you still have questions?".

If you do the Q&A properly, and anticipate unanswered questions, you will not get the think about it detour.

If they still want to think about it you have not established a relationship of trust.

Very good points about defusing the objection through Q&A with the prospect.

Latest posts

Back