How to Prevent “I Want to Think About It” Objection

I can't remember the last time someone said that to me. If you're getting it, then its because of one of two things in my opinion.

1. Quality of prospects your seeing
2. The presentation needs work

If they have to think about it, there's either something still uncovered, you didn't explain something well, or they missed it.

I respond "Normally when people say that there are still some questions and I haven't explained something well enough. What exactly is it you'll be thinking about?"

I gotta remember this one :D thanks.

----------

I can't remember the last time someone said that to me. If you're getting it, then its because of one of two things in my opinion.

1. Quality of prospects your seeing
2. The presentation needs work

What do you mean "quality of prospects"? How do you find good prospects?

What do you mean "quality of prospects"? How do you find good prospects?

That could mean a couple things. It could be the list you're using but more on who and why your seeing. No list is perfect but that's why its called prospecting. You contact your leads while constantly weeding out the bad ones and searching for the good ones.

Think of it in terms of a guy panning for gold. He sifts through all the rocks until he finds a piece of gold. That's what prospecting is. With that said... If your list contains a lot of rocks, its harder to find the gold. But I've used lists that were 10 years old and still found gold. That was early on in my career. The better the list... The better your chances are. Are the leads verified etc... Otherwise, you're updating it as you go along.

Who you're contacting.... Are you contacting decision makers or people you need to sell to who then need to sell to someone else. For instance, a hr Dir who makes you run through hoops just for the chance that she might try and get you to the real decision maker. So, you sell to her and then she sells to the owner. Hopefully she sells you the right way or do you just go to the owner.

Last thing is... What are you saying? Are you over promising just to get in the door and then can't deliver what you said on the initial call so now they have to think about it?

Just some things to think about.

If you are selling a residential and have both spouses in the presentation, any objections you experience are due to you, the salesperson, not doing an effective job at qualifying and building value. JD is spot on.

If you are selling B2B, you may not be talking to the right people; are you speaking with the user (employee?), the check writer (the employee/employer), the technical buyer (purchasing/HR)? They all have different motives and different responsibilities.

I understand Mr. Jones, I have heard that before.
Based on my experience, When someone tells me
that they want to think about it,
It usually comes down to 0ne of three reasons.
1. Its me, you dont like or trust me.
2. You dont like my company / product.
3. Its the money.

Then just ask him one by one,
is it me? not everyone is going to like me. I can get my friend to help you
if that would make you more comfortable. etc...

That could mean a couple things. It could be the list you're using but more on who and why your seeing. No list is perfect but that's why its called prospecting. You contact your leads while constantly weeding out the bad ones and searching for the good ones.

Think of it in terms of a guy panning for gold. He sifts through all the rocks until he finds a piece of gold. That's what prospecting is. With that said... If your list contains a lot of rocks, its harder to find the gold. But I've used lists that were 10 years old and still found gold. That was early on in my career. The better the list... The better your chances are. Are the leads verified etc... Otherwise, you're updating it as you go along.

Who you're contacting.... Are you contacting decision makers or people you need to sell to who then need to sell to someone else. For instance, a hr Dir who makes you run through hoops just for the chance that she might try and get you to the real decision maker. So, you sell to her and then she sells to the owner. Hopefully she sells you the right way or do you just go to the owner.

Last thing is... What are you saying? Are you over promising just to get in the door and then can't deliver what you said on the initial call so now they have to think about it?

Just some things to think about.

I had not been on the forum for in awhile and I just saw your reply today njinsuranceguy. Very Good feedback.

"I want to think about it objections" can easily be eliminated by agreement.

After we set the appointment we ask, "If I can meet your conditions of satisfaction for the insurance you want, at a price you can afford, what will you do?"

If the prospect says "I will buy it," we ask "Does that mean you will sign an application for the insurance, and write a deposit check on Wednesday, if you are satisfied?"

Most prospects say "Yes." If not, we postpone the appointment for another time when the prospect is more likely to do business.

The key to this strategy is to be able to find an abundance of high probability prospects.

Most of my think about its usually boil down to not having the first month's premium that day. When I explain I don't need payment right then they usually go ahead and sign.

Too many agents spend their time with prospects who are "just looking." When they do close a sale it usually takes two or three appointments. Until you become a highly successful agent with loads of referrals, becoming a highly skilled prospector is of utmost importance.

Then, you can meet with high probability prospects who are most likely to buy.

Back