I'm Having Fear of Failure, Any Advice?

Good Post, but I particularly like the line above. Good advice, to smile, even if your prospective client is not. It's hard to hate someone that smiling at you.

I don't do much f2f anymore, but just curious, how do you handle rude clients. I mean they've ticked you off to the point that you want to start breaking things.

Do you just get up and leave abruptly?

I can put up with most rude clients. We all have our bad days. But there is a line, that even I will walk away.

I've had a lot of clients that started off being rude, but I didn't give up and I stayed in the fight.

But if it comes to the point where I want to leave, then I just get up and leave.

You could also ask, how do you handle stupid clients that want to fight you on everything that you say. You just try your best to help them and try and hang in there.

Did you find that book helpful? I thought it confused me more than helped me. A little too technical and a little too New Age for me.

It helped me to understand myself better. It was a little too academic for my taste. Definitely not the best book I have ever read but worth reading.

I'm doing exactly what you are doing- probably with the same company from what it sounds like. If so, your trainers job right now is to start making you money- sit back and watch at least for a couple of days. Obviously they know how to do something well! My manager only knew how to do one thing well- but then I found ways to ride for a day with all the experienced agents in my office. Pretty soon, I was competing with the top agents in the office. My advice- take the meat, spit out the bones, and work like a crazy person the first few months. The more people you get in front of, the easier it becomes. Even houses that you walk up to where you know there's no potential, when you are just starting out, find a way in the door anyway and practice your pitch!

Action eliminates fear, inaction breeds it. Getting past the first door is the hardest part, and with it usually brings confidence, as in, hey that wasn't so bad, was it?

My dad had me cold calling at 18 years old, yikes, doors slammed in my face, but when you get into the first house, it only gets better and easier because you took action.

You'll be fine!!

...much like working out where most of the fear is thinking about it. While you're working out it's fine and afterwards you not only feel great but reap the rewards of good health.

This was how I ended up doing well telemarketing. It wasn't telemarketing I didn't like - it was before I started - staring at the phone. While I was talking to prospects I was fine and afterward I felt great - good sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:
Action eliminates fear, inaction breeds it. Getting past the first door is the hardest part, and with it usually brings confidence, as in, hey that wasn't so bad, was it?

My dad had me cold calling at 18 years old, yikes, doors slammed in my face, but when you get into the first house, it only gets better and easier because you took action.

You'll be fine!!

I totally agree. Action, or engagement if you are former military. I made my 1st appoinment today. I finally got on the phone and started calling after I rehearsed my script all day to the point it sounded natural.

I got tons of voice mails till someone actually answered, nearly wet myself but the script came out. I said tomorrow or Thursday, they said tomorrow. 60 secs max on the phone....very cool... now for a glass of good wine.

Way to go!

I always try to stress the importance of practice! So you don't sound like a robot, trying to read or by saying "um" 100 times.

Great job!!

I totally agree. Action, or engagement if you are former military. I made my 1st appoinment today. I finally got on the phone and started calling after I rehearsed my script all day to the point it sounded natural.

I got tons of voice mails till someone actually answered, nearly wet myself but the script came out. I said tomorrow or Thursday, they said tomorrow. 60 secs max on the phone....very cool... now for a glass of good wine.

Action creates positive feelings. If you are sitting, waiting to become motivated, it will never happen.

To help overcome fear, esp when you're either new to sales or unfamiliar with a product, is to have a script or outline memorized or in front of you. As you give the presentation, the client doesn't know the track you are running on, so even if you fumble, he doesn't know. That should help you to relax.

And regarding rude people....remember, you cannot overcome ignorance or poverty. Waste not your time.

Back