Is this Release Copasetic?

Why should I be held against my will when I don't need training? Some of your posts are coming across as if you have a grudge against agents...

You're making some ASSumptions here Mike.

If you don't need training and you don't need support, just go find the best contract you can find and stick with it. If you want a release guaranteed upfront in writing because you're going to leave over the first perceived injustice, I would happily tell you to walk down the street and find someone else that wants to sign up for that. Maybe you'd stick around, maybe you wouldn't, but generally speaking the agents that are fussing about such things aren't going to be producers in any volume and they're going to be the ones that are huge time wasters. Are there exceptions to that rule? Absolutely. Do recruiters miss out on some good agents if they don't offer a written release upfront? Sure. Is it worth the hassle? I don't think so.

The OP seems sheepish about wondering about the release policy and wonders why the uplines aren't forthcoming with those. That's the question at hand. The answer is that only on this forum have I *ever* heard of something like that. It's *not* standard operating procedure. It's a weird document that one agent in particular has heavily supported and as irony would have it, the same document and request he's expected of others came back to bite him for all the reasons I've mentioned before.

I don't have a grudge against agents, not by a long shot. As a recruiter though, if an agent isn't looking to commit, I say no thank you. I'm very upfront with folks about what I'm offering and what to expect and they're more than welcome to not sign on the dotted line. They're welcome to shop around and look for whatever they want and if someone has something they think is better for them then I strongly encourage them to go for it.

To go back to your assumptions, you're not being held hostage. You signed on the dotten line on a contract and agreed to it. If you don't need training and support, you know full well you can command a higher contract level.

What type of time and effort do you expect an upline to invest in an agent that wants to be able to leave at a moments notice for a few more points. The real kick in the shorts is when you do spend time and energy training and supporting an agent only to have them "figure everything out" and then after you've made $1/hour for supporting the agent they want to walk down the street to another upline that doesn't have to train them anymore so now they've taken advantage of you. As an upline, I don't have to sign off on anything either. I don't have to give a guaranteed release upfront and in writing, I can say no thank you, try giving Todd a call or a list of other uplines.

Mike, since you made the personal claim that it seems like I have a grudge against agents, I'd like to point out to you that I've cut checks to agents that were working with me and not producing out of my own pocket because I know they were working AND I was giving them free leads. Tell me ONE OTHER upline that you know of that has opened up THEIR checkbook in addition to footing 100% of the lead bill (obviously in exchange for a reduced contract). When I'm committing to thousands of dollars in lead generation for an agent, you're damn right I don't want to give them a release as soon as they want to walk down the street.

How many agents do you see fail because they don't have leads, training, and support? What do you think the failure rate would be if agents committed to their uplines and their uplines had a real vested interest in their success.

Actually reminds me of a great joke I heard yesterday.

There is this agent who is a huge, huge believer in upfront releases. He has gotten into huge pissing matches with FMOs about this.

Well, this agent decides to contract agents in a particular product line. The agent even develops a mailer for this product that is getting awesome returns. He taught a newbie all about the product line and how to sell it. Well, newbie can sell it now and is suddenly ready to jump ship to the agent's upline for a little extra comp.

Suddenly agent is all that hot on granting immediate releases.

That's no joke, but it sure is funny!

I don't think there was need for calling me an ass. I don't believe I need to be held captive on products that I need no training on. To reference about signing the contracts, yes we do sign them but you should know that releases are not mentioned in the contracts so I don't know what you mean by that comment.

Getting a release is more hyped up than it really is. Just be be a really annoying Fu@*t@rd. When you need a release and it's legit have the ahole on the other line listening to you go to the bathroom, take a leak, talk to your dog, call and hang up and blamed it on my phone, take up the secretaries time, burp in the phone, ect. Eventually they get tired of it but you have a working relationship (contract) with them until they cut ya so just be a Fu@*t@rd and you'll get what you need. YMMV

You can also call them all the time and bug them for bogus quotes and BS. Just waste their time. Eventually they will be trying to figure out how fast they can get rid of you.

If that doesn't work, have your wife call them LOL

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I was talking to CALTCagent but because I quoted him and he didn't type anything, nothing showed.

That makes much more sense. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't think there was need for calling me an ass.

I think I was more alluding to the point, but why were you suggesting I have a grudge against agents?

I don't believe I need to be held captive on products that I need no training on. To reference about signing the contracts, yes we do sign them but you should know that releases are not mentioned in the contracts so I don't know what you mean by that comment.

Did I say that you needed to be held captive on products that you didn't need training on?

I can't speak to the contracts you've signed because I don't know if I've ever seen them, but I've seen the release clauses in most of the contracts I've signed and I've been around for long enough to know that they're probably going to be a part of any contract. If an agent isn't familiar with it AND it isn't in a contract, I understand. This obsession the forum now has with getting an upfront release is ridiculous though. It's not standard business procedure and for rookie agents they probably shouldn't be going with an upline that is going to give away the goods that easily. I like the guy a lot, but that's a point he and I never agreed on.

To put it in another light, how much time and energy would you spend with a prospect that only wants to keep a policy with you for a month or two until they qualify for the product another agent is going to sell them?

Again, when did I say that YOU need to be held captive on products you didn't need training on?

Last edited:
Back