Is this Release Copasetic?

This upfront release agreement in writing is NOT a standard practice and is something this forum "created". It's weird to ask for it and personally I don't think any serious one should agree to it. It's bad business.

Josh,

I totally agree that having to ask for an upfront release from a contract you are signing is pretty strange. However normally when you sign a contract everything is spelled out in said contract. There is nothing in the contract we sign saying that we agree that if we decide we don't want to work with said upline that we must not produce for said insurance carrier for 6 to 12 months.

Now I know the contract covers it but it is a section that you sign that speaks about the carriers procedures but does not provide said procedures in writing. And the fact is the release policy is something the carriers negotiate with the FMOs.

Every other contract I have ever signed as an independent contractor has had a stated contract length and clear guidelines of how the contract could end that is just not the case with insurance appointments as an independent.

Having said all of this I do agree if an FMO is going to invest in an agent that agent should be willing to live with a period of time where those contracts can not be moved. I have had FMOs fly up or drive up and run appointments with me for a week that is investing. I have had FMOs that talk a good game and once my contract is signed and submitted have never heard from them again.

For the OP if you can I personally like to make an FMO who talks a good game earn my business. I do a lot of annuity business more specifically 403(b) business so the carriers I can use are limited by the school districts I deal with. What has worked for me when talking to a new FMO is to ask what carriers they carry and then sign a throw away contract and carrier ie a carrier I could care less about using. If I find that the FMO is helping me in my business and I like working with them I will move more contracts to them.

I always keep in mind though what should be rule #1 for everyone. Begin with the end in mind meaning in this sense I always have my back up plan in place for if things change. Sorry for the long post.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That make sense? You just hit the quote button and then copy the first part where it matches the name with the relevant number to the post and that will indicate it.

Clear as mud?

OK, for some reason it didn't put the quotation marks.

I think you missed the end quote which is */quote* replace the astricks with the brackets.

Last edited:
Peter, I've never seen the contracts you've signed, but on more than a few carriers I've had the release cause spelled out for me in black and white.
That make sense? You just hit the quote button and then copy the first part where it matches the name with the relevant number to the post and that will indicate it.

Clear as mud?

OK, for some reason it didn't put the quotation marks.

Like peter said, you need to put the */quote* at the end, replacing the first * with a [ and the second * with a ].

Last edited:
Josh said:
Peter, I've never seen the contracts you've signed, but on more than a few carriers I've had the release cause spelled out for me in black and white.

I have read mine many times and the release policy is typically not stated it is covered under a section that talks about procedures of the carrier.

However knowing this I call and verify directly with the carrier the release or nonproduction requirements upfront. You might also notice my post about having the FMO earn my business by normally placing just one throwaway contract with them. I have and do have uplines I deal with that I wish I could place more business/contracts with because I like what they they do. Also at this point in my career my uplines are rarely used as I don't need them, however if I changed my focus and say decided to head in to the MA or PDP world again I would definatly want to deal with someone up on the rules and how to market while being effective and keeping me on the good side of CMS.

I have read mine many times and the release policy is typically not stated it is covered under a section that talks about procedures of the carrier.

I believe you. All I'm saying is that some do talk about it. All should, but at least some do.

Josh said:
I believe you. All I'm saying is that some do talk about it. All should, but at least some do.

I agree they all should. I also don't feel to bad to the agent that runs into the problem the second time. My issue is its something new agents run into all the time they agree to a reduced commission level in Exchange for free/reduced leads whatever and then they get the reduced commissions but nothing else.

I agree they all should. I also don't feel to bad to the agent that runs into the problem the second time. My issue is its something new agents run into all the time they agree to a reduced commission level in Exchange for free/reduced leads whatever and then they get the reduced commissions but nothing else.

There really is so much we can agree on.

Back