Looking for Health insurance for age 26

freshwater

I am looking for a health insurance for my son age 26. Currently he is under UHC but he will roll off end of October since he reached the age 26 and he was on parents Health insurance from there work. They did send some correspondent about COBRA which can last upto 36 months but I think it will be costly .
He is in good health with no health issues and taking a Gap year and will continue Grad school in 8/2022.
We looking at some insurance which is affordable and short term ( 1-4 yrs).

What are my options , COBRA, public Health, obama care or some private Insurance. Goal is to get less per month premium. Person reside in IL and have no Job so no income.

If he has no income, I believe Illinois expanded Medicaid for FREE.
Just google it.

So he just register for the Medicaid and will found out in 2 weeks what they have to offer and which health plan and who covers them like hospitals or clinics.

I will still look into private insurance also so he has additional coverage in case Medicaid not cover everything. Never used any Govt Health plans before so no idea how they get accepted at nearby Dr clinics or one has to go to some County Hospital or Public Clinics.

Thanks for the info though..

So he just register for the Medicaid and will found out in 2 weeks what they have to offer and which health plan and who covers them like hospitals or clinics.

I will still look into private insurance also so he has additional coverage in case Medicaid not cover everything. Never used any Govt Health plans before so no idea how they get accepted at nearby Dr clinics or one has to go to some County Hospital or Public Clinics.

Thanks for the info though..

Most hospitals take medicaid, otherwise there would be no hospitals.

You don't want double coverage or you will have claims issues.

If buying private coverage, obamacare is mostly HMOs. I dont think Illinois allows for private short term major medical plans

What is Market Place ? Got email to check for plans in Market Place.
So PPO is better then HMO . Is medicaid PPO or HMO or neither.
I think UHC has short term plans in IL. Goes from $40 to $250 per month .

What is Market Place ? Got email to check for plans in Market Place.
So PPO is better then HMO . Is medicaid PPO or HMO or neither.
I think UHC has short term plans in IL. Goes from $40 to $250 per month .
Marketplace = obamacare
Yes, stm plans are ppo
Yes, ppo better then hmo
All medicaid are hmo but broader then most hmo's

I was given 4 Health plans to choose from . Are any better then the other. ?

Aetna Better Health of Illinois
Blue Cross Community Health Plan
Meridian Health Plan
Molina Healthcare

They put us in the Meridian Health Plan by default and assigned a PCP but when I went to PCP site it mention they dont take Medicaid so not sure why they choose this particular PCP
who dont take medicaid.

Also on COBRA I find out that we can continue same coverage from UHC if we pay $565 per month for 1 person . That can last for 36 months after aga of 26. Currently I am paying $185 per month for Family of 4 . Myself + Spouse + 2 Children.

Last edited:
Back