Making Transition From Automotive Business

I'm brand new to this forum. Just going to read A TON and soak in as much as possible as I've been doing for the last few days. Making the transition from the auto sales industry (25 years as F&I and General Mgr) to insurance. Already licensed in Rhode Island and looking to start ASAP. I think that I'm going to concentrate on one specialization first such as FE until I'm knowledgeable and successful enough to expand to other areas. Currently looking at EFES, 360 and FEX.

Would appreciate any advice that anybody wants to throw my way. Thanks.

I spent 20 years in the car business, starting in sales, then F&I, to managing a large Honda dealership. The owner of the dealership died at age 48 of a brain tumor, and I decided at 45 that I was not going to do it anymore and that I am only going to do what I enjoy for the rest of my life. When I left the car business I was making almost $100,000 (that's a lot of money in my part of Virginia) and started as an independent agent 6 years ago with no gauranteed income.

I wouldn't change a thing. If you spent that many years in the car business then you have the work ethic to bust it in this business;It's MUCH easier than the car business.

I will be glad to chat with you if you P.M your number to me...

I'll thank you in order to get one more post! I appreciate what you did with David today. If you ever need anything from me feel free to ask! First class on your part.

You're welcome. Just wish I had more time to spend with him. I'm glad we were able to bag one and hit some doors.

It was actually a lot of fun as it was the first time in over 20 years that I was out in the field doing joint work.

I've never been in the car business, but I would guess the biggest difference is going from a tangible to an intangible?
It depends on which end of the car business. In the car business there are two different and very distinct functions. The first is the sales end, which of course is tangible. Then there's the F&I (Finance and Insurance) end, which of course is intangible. Scientific studies have proven that some people are more adept at tangible selling (an object) and others are more adept at intangible selling (an idea or emotion). The study also states that almost never can anyone excel at both. The OP mentions he did F&I. He may do well. I remember I couldn't sell a car to save my life... that's why I spent 30 years killing it in F&I. Now... If I can only kill it in this.

Lol. I was talking about the others who post on here...you know who I'm talking about ;)

OH I know what you are saying now:yes::D

----------

It depends on which end of the car business. In the car business there are two different and very distinct functions. The first is the sales end, which of course is tangible. Then there's the F&I (Finance and Insurance) end, which of course is intangible. Scientific studies have proven that some people are more adept at tangible selling (an object) and others are more adept at intangible selling (an idea or emotion). The study also states that almost never can anyone excel at both. The OP mentions he did F&I. He may do well. I remember I couldn't sell a car to save my life... that's why I spent 30 years killing it in F&I. Now... If I can only kill it in this.

I dunno...Ive been wildly successful selling the tangible and intangible. I think it comes down to attitude, work ethic, street smarts, a little luck and if you are easily trained and organized.

No wonder Ben has so many agents.

This is one ride along I had no clue about! Talked to one of my agents to help him scrub an app and found out FEXQUOTES rode with him for the day and helped him. Got to give the agents props for thinking outside the box and reaching out to him. If that is how it happened....I have no clue!

Also had an agent train with Spur City last week and I didn't even know. That is one thing I like about what we do, we all are available to everyone so ride alongs like this happen a lot without others knowing. It is a beautiful thing!

I had one of Reardon's agents ride with me in north Georgia at the last blitz. I have said it several times on here and it still holds true. Anyone can ride with me anytime they want! I don't care what IMO they are with.

Just like my cheat sheets, I don't just send it to my agents...I send it to anyone that asks!

On a side note Goose, when we going hog hunting? Got plenty of them waiting to be taken out!

This is one ride along I had no clue about! Talked to one of my agents to help him scrub an app and found out FEXQUOTES rode with him for the day and helped him. Got to give the agents props for thinking outside the box and reaching out to him. If that is how it happened....I have no clue!

Also had an agent train with Spur City last week and I didn't even know. That is one thing I like about what we do, we all are available to everyone so ride alongs like this happen a lot without others knowing. It is a beautiful thing!

I had one of Reardon's agents ride with me in north Georgia at the last blitz. I have said it several times on here and it still holds true. Anyone can ride with me anytime they want! I don't care what IMO they are with.

Just like my cheat sheets, I don't just send it to my agents...I send it to anyone that asks!

On a side note Goose, when we going hog hunting? Got plenty of them waiting to be taken out!

Hey Ben...go back and read Goose's post again.:twitchy:

Latest posts

Back