Marijuana Smoker

Wow. Totally over thinking things. It all depends on what's in the clients medical records. Client is still young and if no health issues, client should stay clean for a month and then schedule the medical. You can still submit the application now. Client should NOT take the medical if he didn't stay clean for a month. Each carrier tests for different narcotics and some don't even test for pot. Better to be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately, the federal laws in the US state pot is illegal. This forces the client's hand to lie. Admitting marijuana smoking on any legal document is risky, at best. Yes, carriers offer coverage for pot smokers, but then it is in the MIB and tied to the client for life.

Make sure the client is clean, apply without disclosing and proceed as usual.

The government did this, not the carriers, but knowing the ramifications of admitting illegal affairs is crucial. If a client goes through a divorce and the spouse knows their insurance allowed for marijuana smoking, the spouse can use this to take their kids. I've seen it happen.

If they smoke cigarettes, they are going to get smoker rates anyway.

Don't risk your client's future by admitting marijuana use.

I have a plenty of clients who do their fair share of partying. I tell my clients when signing the applications:
Do not to make any doctor's appointments until after we are offered a policy.
The week prior to your medical, avoid red meat and alcohol and drink a lot of water.
If they are drug users, I tell them I am going to make their medical appointment for a month from today, refrain from any drug use until after the medical exam.
What's also good, is that medical will still be useful, if the carrier applied to doesn't offer the best rate. You get new apps and use that same medical for the new carrier. No need to have your client quit again.

Good Luck! (and hey, if they can do it, and it's not in their records, tell them to not smoke cigarettes for the month either, say he smokes an occasional cigar and hope for no nicotine in the urine, to get a NS rate through a company like Lincoln)

Better remain hidden under a cloak because your advocating committing insurance fraud. Not to mention your omitting material information you should put on the agents report even if the client lies while asking the question.

Yes, on Foresters Strong Foundation term they will issue non tobacco for pot smoking. Not on their PlanRight FE. Only on the term. It's non tobacco for cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco and pot.

JD, I don't see a Strong Foundation term product on Foresters' site. Only term product listed (for MO anyway) is the Lifefirst plan. Am I missing something?

An agent always has to think twice about any instruction to a prospect on an app. Every time you advise against what you know is an issue, you dig yourself a hole.

REMEMBER! a client will sell you out in a second if caught. They won't hesitate to say it was your idea and you checked the box and skipped 'their honest answer". Their family will sue you in a heartbeat and you'll have to defend yourself.

If it's worth it to you, good luck. Saying "no or I'll pass" on business isn't an easy thing to do, especially these days, but don't let a short term gain, end your long term.

An agent always has to think twice about any instruction to a prospect on an app. Every time you advise against what you know is an issue, you dig yourself a hole.

REMEMBER! a client will sell you out in a second if caught. They won't hesitate to say it was your idea and you checked the box and skipped 'their honest answer". Their family will sue you in a heartbeat and you'll have to defend yourself.

If it's worth it to you, good luck. Saying "no or I'll pass" on business isn't an easy thing to do, especially these days, but don't let a short term gain, end your long term.

Agree with you^^ When caught and eventually it will happen you will be worse off than if you just turned the bussiness down, there is always another prospect out there somewhere.

They will even do it when you did everything honest and above board, so you can be certain they will do it if you were a party to it in any way.

JD, I don't see a Strong Foundation term product on Foresters' site. Only term product listed (for MO anyway) is the Lifefirst plan. Am I missing something?

All of their products are not available in all states and are not available to all FMO's.

Look at their quoting software and if the Strng Foundation quoter is not there it may not be available to you.

Back