MetLife no beneficiary

GoJets

Hello, my sister passed in Ohio without naming a beneficiary on her MetLife life insurance policy. She wasn’t married, had no children. I am her only living relative. Can I claim the life insurance proceeds as next of kin?

Hello, my sister passed in Ohio without naming a beneficiary on her MetLife life insurance policy. She wasn’t married, had no children. I am her only living relative. Can I claim the life insurance proceeds as next of kin?

Sorry about your loss.

To answer your question simply, you cannot directly.

The insurance carrier will pay the proceeds to her estate.

Did she have a will or name an executor for the will? If it is you or the probate court makes you executor if she had no will, you will bring forward all her bills, debts & all her assets in her name at time of death. All debts & creditors of hers will get paid 1st from all probate assets. Any remaining money after debts would then be distributed based on her will (if will existed) & if no will then the court will distribute based on laws (likely you if she has no heirs & your parents are gone, etc)

If she had any other accounts with a beneficiary like a bank account, IRA, annuity they will be handled the same unless she named a beneficiary directly on the accounts

Again, I am sorry for your loss

Back