New Agent - Is This a Good Business Plan?

I think your biggest challenge is going to be too many good ideas. You should probably stick to just door knocking and/or cold calling or some other way of driving activity you have control over. At 30 calls/door knocks per day you're going to get hurt because you're not getting enough traffic. That's less than an hour of calling. If you wanted to set a goal of 300 calls per day and stuck with that for a few weeks you couldn't help but get some activity. I'm slightly biased because for years I've believed in telemarketing (which is why I now am a list broker), but the key to being successful is filling your pipeline and you'll starve to death before you fill your pipeline with website leads or probably even direct mail.

Is 300 calls a day the norm? I mean, that's 10 Hours of calling if each call was an average of 2 minutes long. I was going to up my calls to 100 a day after thinking about my goals.

So Direct mail isn't a good marketing tool? I'm just trying EVERYTHING I can. I want no stone unturned or opportunity missed. Should I invest more on buying leads than direct mail?

Also I have a Commission and Goal plan, what could be improved?

Commissioned Sales Goals and Strategy Plan​

1. My annual sales goal is $120,000.

2. My monthly sales goal is $10,000.

3. I make $220 in commission per sale (this can vary…feel free to average)

4. I need 45 sales a month to hit my monthly sales goal. #2 divided by #3 = #4

5. It takes 2 hot leads to make 1 sale. (A hot lead is someone willing to let you quote them and has given you all the information needed to do so.)

6. It takes 20 number of cold calls to make 1 hot lead.

7. Multiply the numbers from #4, 5, & 6 to find the total number of cold calls you need to make per month. 1800

8. Divide the answer to #7 by the number of days you work per month, and this will give you the number of cold calls you need to make each of those days to hit your monthly and yearly sales goals.

I need to make 90 cold calls a day. (will make 100 though)

Just a tip all goals should be quantifiable and timeable otherwise they are just dreams. For example:

6. Join as many organizations as you can. (Chamber of commerce, insurance organizations etc.)

Should be more along the lines of

Set 3 appointments/fill out 3 applications per week for local organizations.

Your current plan is too vague. You are off to a good start so keep refining.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am learning more everyday.

I also have a Sales Goal & Strategy plan. I would love some advice on this as well.

Sales Goal & Strategy Plan​
Call between the times of 10am-1pm or 2pm-5pm​

5. It takes 2 hot leads to make 1 sale. (A hot lead is someone willing to let you quote them and has given you all the information needed to do so.)

7. Multiply the numbers from #4, 5, & 6 to find the total number of cold calls you need to make per month. 1800

8. Divide the answer to #7 by the number of days you work per month, and this will give you the number of cold calls you need to make each of those days to hit your monthly and yearly sales goals.

Do you honestly think/expect to make $120,000 first year???

So all you will ever do is cold call?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am learning more everyday.

I also have a Sales Goal & Strategy plan. I would love some advice on this as well.

Sales Goal & Strategy Plan​

Call between the times of 10am-1pm or 2pm-5pm​

You have presented a reasonable "starting point". You have the beginnings of a solid plan but a word of caution. Be flexible and willing to alter your working hours and the number of calls you make. Your goals may be a little lofty if you are a new agent.

If that is all it took to make six figures a year every agent would be in that income range. This is not a controlled experiment conducted in a [FONT=&quot]laboratory.[/FONT]

if you make calls all day, you will make some sales. don't take this the wrong way, i'm just tryin to turn a light on. people have told you that aflac is oversaturated and pay horrible commissions, right? you are choosing them because you think you will benefit from their training, right? why are you asking training questions on the forum? it's not that i or anyone else doesn't want to help but..... you would be alot better off with colonial or transamerica. i'm trying to help you make more money and save on headaches.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"hello, this is robert brown with aflac..."
"we have aflac." click.

get used to that.
90% of agents fail. the other 10% listen to other agents who have been in their shoes
"this is robert brown with transamerica we have more coverage for less premium and we will do it on bankdraft so you don't have to mess with the billing"

owner 1 "i'm paranoid and aint switchin"
owner 2 "aflac pisses me off. come show me what you got"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're much more on track now. You're not going to get 1 hot lead out of 20 calls or 1 sale per 40 calls. Those just aren't realistic numbers, particularly on Aflac. If you make 100 calls/day you're probably not going to be where you need to be.

You're going to probably need to be a lot closer to 300 calls/day to start seeing the numbers work the way you want them to and even at that, if you did $60k with Aflac you'd be ahead of 90% of new agents, Aflac or otherwise.

One of the problems a lot of agents have when they get started is they don't see the results they want as quick as they'd like so they get discouraged. You're usually better off setting more realistic goals you can reach and/or exceed.

Latest posts

Back