New Agent - Is This a Good Business Plan?

Or American General Life and Accident (AGLA).
lol. he might want to use agla for preferred non smokers. comes with ABRs.:)
i'm not tryin to contract him. i'm busy opening a pnc office. i'm just trying to help him out. i spent a few years in the employee benefits arena and did well spanking aflac.

"5. It takes 2 hot leads to make 1 sale. (A hot lead is someone willing to let you quote them and has given you all the information needed to do so.)"

Based on your limited definition of a "hot lead", if you can close 1 out of 2, I would say you are doing better than 99.9% of the neophyte agents in the US and 90% of the veteran agents. 1 out of 5 or 6 for a neophyte and 1 out of 3 or 4 for a vet would be much closer to reality.

Do you honestly think/expect to make $120,000 first year???

So all you will ever do is cold call?

No, I never said that. This is a long term goal. Realisticly, I think I can make $40,000 my first year, $60,000 my second, $80,000 my third, and $100,000 my fourth. And so on.

I did inlcude other things besides cold calls in that plan....
--------------------------------------------------------

FE is definitely where you want to be.

Why? Also I have been getting messages from different people on this forum about contacting them for more info on FE if I wanted. Why would I be a good fit for FE, and what's so hot about FE right now?
----------------------------------------------------------

if you make calls all day, you will make some sales. don't take this the wrong way, i'm just tryin to turn a light on. people have told you that aflac is oversaturated and pay horrible commissions, right? you are choosing them because you think you will benefit from their training, right? why are you asking training questions on the forum? it's not that i or anyone else doesn't want to help but..... you would be alot better off with colonial or transamerica. i'm trying to help you make more money and save on headaches.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"hello, this is robert brown with aflac..."
"we have aflac." click.

get used to that.
90% of agents fail. the other 10% listen to other agents who have been in their shoes
"this is robert brown with transamerica we have more coverage for less premium and we will do it on bankdraft so you don't have to mess with the billing"

owner 1 "i'm paranoid and aint switchin"
owner 2 "aflac pisses me off. come show me what you got"

My DM said that I would make 63% commission on the AP of a sale, I would get 43% of that 63% up front, and then the difference paid out over the next 11 months. Does that sound like good commission?

I'm really starting to second guess myself on Aflac. Everyone makes it sound horrible. I need to be pointed in the direction of a good insurance company to work with. I'm taking my class to get my license next week..
-----------------------------------------------------------

I think you're much more on track now. You're not going to get 1 hot lead out of 20 calls or 1 sale per 40 calls. Those just aren't realistic numbers, particularly on Aflac. If you make 100 calls/day you're probably not going to be where you need to be.

You're going to probably need to be a lot closer to 300 calls/day to start seeing the numbers work the way you want them to and even at that, if you did $60k with Aflac you'd be ahead of 90% of new agents, Aflac or otherwise.

One of the problems a lot of agents have when they get started is they don't see the results they want as quick as they'd like so they get discouraged. You're usually better off setting more realistic goals you can reach and/or exceed.

300 a day? Wow that's a lot of phone calls..

if each call averages out to 2 minutes each, that's 10 hours of calls...

I was just offered a sales position at a great furniture store, by my ex-manager(great guy) that I used to work at. (I left because I was young and wanted to experience different sales). I used to average between 2-3k there a month. Only have to work 40hrs a week.

I was thinking of doing that and this at the same time. I don't have months of money saved up.

300 a day? Wow that's a lot of phone calls..

Using something like SalesDialers (promo code AML for $99/month) you can do that in 4 hours.

I was just offered a sales position at a great furniture store, by my ex-manager(great guy) that I used to work at. (I left because I was young and wanted to experience different sales). I used to average between 2-3k there a month. Only have to work 40hrs a week.

I was thinking of doing that and this at the same time. I don't have months of money saved up.

Depending on the days that you're going to work that might be an option. You're probably better off career and life-wise to take that job if you don't have the money to wait it out. If you even just use your days off to cold call and get a good flow going with that (maybe work out a split?) that would be huge steps in the right direction.

Using something like SalesDialers (promo code AML for $99/month) you can do that in 4 hours.

Depending on the days that you're going to work that might be an option. You're probably better off career and life-wise to take that job if you don't have the money to wait it out. If you even just use your days off to cold call and get a good flow going with that (maybe work out a split?) that would be huge steps in the right direction.

Thanks Josh, you're a helpful dude.

I was thinking about busting my ass on the insurance work on my days off, like you said until I have a good flow going.

Josh, do you have any opinions on what kind of insurance I should sell? I'm a new agent, not new to sales, and I have great work ethic.

also, please some advice on my site. Right now it's a lot of copy/paste from the aflac site, but I will get more of my own material over time. Aflac NWA

I was thinking about busting my ass on the insurance work on my days off, like you said until I have a good flow going.

Josh, do you have any opinions on what kind of insurance I should sell? I'm a new agent, not new to sales, and I have great work ethic.

also, please some advice on my site. Right now it's a lot of copy/paste from the aflac site, but I will get more of my own material over time. Aflac NWA

Med Supps and cross selling Final Expense may be a good fit for what you are looking for. They are usually a one call close with no service work. A perfect product to sell in your situation.

Med Supp companies also pay first year commission for the first six years.

I'd be glad to discuss it with you further and give you more information if you are interested. Call anytime at 573.544.4091.

The Aflac gig isn't terrible if you can get solid training/support. You seem pretty into them, so you might as well stay with that plan until it doesn't work ;) I'd give frank a call about Medicare supplements too, but it sounds like you want to get your hands dirty with the small businesses and have some other reasons for wanting to do the Aflac deal.

If you're primary marketing plan is cold calling then you're going to get a lot of good experience and if you can stick with it, you should be able to do quite well. Most agents are afraid to cold call and look for excuses to not do it, but the ones that can stick with it usually do well.

I dig your website. Earlier I commented that you'd probably have a tough time driving traffic to a site, but you might have some potential with that site. Are you sure Aflac is going to let you get away with using their name like that? Usually that is exactly the sort of thing they try to shut down. If not, you probably want to spend some time developing that. Wouldn't be terrible if some CEO was trolling around the internet looking for info, found your site, and you picked up a 500 employee contract from the site. Not sure what the odds of that happening are, but there is a lot of potential if they'll let you use their name like that.

Really nice start for a website. My biggest concern is will AFLAC allow you to do that? My guess is no!

Yea, to be honest I'm not sure if they will or not, I mean, I am promoting their products, but, I guess I will find out lol.

As for cold calling being my primary form of marketing, I hope not. I'm going to try and market any and every successful way I can. I'm doing a lot of self education and research on how to build links, SEO, and other ways to generate web traffic.

Another is on each sale, I will get 3 warm referrals.
Other than that, just network as much as I can. Word of mouth.

I'm also thinking I will do follow ups with my customers from furniture sales, a week after they get their furniture.

"Me: Hello Mrs. Johnson, this is Robert from Ashley Furniture. I was your sales associate. How are you enjoying your furniture?

"Mrs. Johnson: It's great, I love it!

"Me: That's wonderful! It's always my goal to make sure my customers are completely satisfied with my service. Would you say that you were?

"Mrs. Johnson: Absolutely!

"Me: Great. Mrs. Johnson, I also help people with financial planning and life/health insurance. I would love to talk with you about this. When is a good time, afternoon or evening?

I don't think anyone that bought a couch from you is going to really see you as a trusted financial advisor. I could be wrong, but seems somewhat like hiring your plumber as a photographer.

Back