New Medicare Numbers - Best Practices for Future Apps

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
So, I've written a few April '18 T65s already, and just put the SSN + A or T based on the usual grid. I figured, once we know what the actual medicare claim number is, we should be able to switch it with a simple call in to Customer Service.

Wondering if there is a better way to handle this. What are all of you doing for this so far? I haven't seen any directives from carriers on what to do... yet.

It has been nice to always be able to be "fairly certain" that we were using the right info on the apps. Now, that's out the window.

I certainly don't want to wait until they get their card - but I also don't love the idea of doing the same thing we've always done and then having to remember to call in to switch it, especially for those who will never have a medicare card number issued to them as SSN+A or SSN+T.

So - does anyone have any best practices yet? Maybe we can compile a list of carriers here and list how they want us to handle this new snafu on early t65 apps when the mcid is unknown and not guessable....

I don't think any carrier is ever going to say "just go ahead and assume what the Medicare number will be." However, they are also not going to reject the business either. They will pend it and if you were correct with your guess, then just go on. If not, as you said, call the carrier and give them the correct info.

Mind you this practice will be obsolete starting next year when everyone is changed over to the new Medicare IDs.

I don't know how you're writing apps for T65 in April. Are you just holding onto them and will date them down the road? Per CMS guidelines, a plan has X number of days to verify Medicare eligibility before having to deny an application and send a letter to the enrollee with the news. So you do you, but I'd want to see the Medicare card before writing an app.

I don't know how you're writing apps for T65 in April. Are you just holding onto them and will date them down the road? Per CMS guidelines, a plan has X number of days to verify Medicare eligibility before having to deny an application and send a letter to the enrollee with the news. So you do you, but I'd want to see the Medicare card before writing an app.
The CMS guidelines you refer to are for MA and PDP apps. Medigap plans don’t have those rules and can allow apps as early as six months prior to Medicare eligibility date. Some do not require the HICN on the app to issue the policy but will request it post-approval. Aetna is one that is good that way.

The CMS guidelines you refer to are for MA and PDP apps. Medigap plans don’t have those rules and can allow apps as early as six months prior to Medicare eligibility date. Some do not require the HICN on the app to issue the policy but will request it post-approval. Aetna is one that is good that way.

Too early for me to think of the different angles. Thanks for the reminder.

So, I've written a few April '18 T65s already, and just put the SSN + A or T based on the usual grid. I figured, once we know what the actual medicare claim number is, we should be able to switch it with a simple call in to Customer Service.

Wondering if there is a better way to handle this. What are all of you doing for this so far? I haven't seen any directives from carriers on what to do... yet.

It has been nice to always be able to be "fairly certain" that we were using the right info on the apps. Now, that's out the window.

I certainly don't want to wait until they get their card - but I also don't love the idea of doing the same thing we've always done and then having to remember to call in to switch it, especially for those who will never have a medicare card number issued to them as SSN+A or SSN+T.

So - does anyone have any best practices yet? Maybe we can compile a list of carriers here and list how they want us to handle this new snafu on early t65 apps when the mcid is unknown and not guessable....

The rollout of the new ID numbers is over a 12 month period. I don't think anyone 4/1/18 is automatically getting a new number. I *think* its still going to be part of the regional rollout. So if you writing apps for Ohio for April and Ohio is in the summer, I think they will get their April card with the SSN+. Then a new card in the summer.

The problem is that they haven't announced the regional rollout schedule.

Partners & employers - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

Best guess (and this is what I am telling my clients): "There is no specific guidance on when people will get the new numbers and cards. What we DO know is that both numbers are going to work through December 2019. When your Welcome to Medicare letter arrives, please get me a copy ASAP so I can update the carrier if necessary".

My advice: Send it in, follow up for the Welcome letter, then clean it up.

Correct, it was Med Supp - I should have been more clear - the 1st April T65 I wrote was on 10/5 - so yes, they can be written pretty early. But, for her PDP, we obviously need to wait until 3mos. prior.

Re: Aetna - does the e-app just allow you to leave it blank? I've not tried that yet.... that would be cool.

Ohio specific, but I got this e-mail from Anthem/Community Ins yesterday:

Yes go ahead and submit the enrollment with the social with an A and if the medicare # changes go ahead and fax over to 844-236-7968 the copy of the medicare card so we can update it in our system.

Correct, it was Med Supp - I should have been more clear - the 1st April T65 I wrote was on 10/5 - so yes, they can be written pretty early. But, for her PDP, we obviously need to wait until 3mos. prior.

Re: Aetna - does the e-app just allow you to leave it blank? I've not tried that yet.... that would be cool.
HICN has not been a required field on Aetna e-apps. They did make a change in their e-app in just the last week or so, however, requiring double entry of SSN, HICN, bank routing and account numbers, so it’s possible they made other recent changes at the same time I am unaware of.

Back