New Medicare Numbers - Best Practices for Future Apps

So, I've written a few April '18 T65s already, and just put the SSN + A or T based on the usual grid. I figured, once we know what the actual medicare claim number is, we should be able to switch it with a simple call in to Customer Service.

Wondering if there is a better way to handle this. What are all of you doing for this so far? I haven't seen any directives from carriers on what to do... yet.

It has been nice to always be able to be "fairly certain" that we were using the right info on the apps. Now, that's out the window.

I certainly don't want to wait until they get their card - but I also don't love the idea of doing the same thing we've always done and then having to remember to call in to switch it, especially for those who will never have a medicare card number issued to them as SSN+A or SSN+T.

So - does anyone have any best practices yet? Maybe we can compile a list of carriers here and list how they want us to handle this new snafu on early t65 apps when the mcid is unknown and not guessable....

I'll tell you what, about 4 years ago someone gave me the wrong letter after and it took an act of God and 4 months to get it changed.

The CMS guidelines you refer to are for MA and PDP apps. Medigap plans don’t have those rules and can allow apps as early as six months prior to Medicare eligibility date. Some do not require the HICN on the app to issue the policy but will request it post-approval. Aetna is one that is good that way.
I've never signed up a T-65 without at least their award letter whether it was for an MA-PD or a Med Supp. I just wait until they have their credentials. I am interested to see how CMS will handle this transition though.

I've never signed up a T-65 without at least their award letter whether it was for an MA-PD or a Med Supp. I just wait until they have their credentials. I am interested to see how CMS will handle this transition though.

Bob is probably right, but to be fair, Medicare numbers (and letters) change quite frequently and there are few issues with claims.

Probably more than just "a few" claim issues.

Several of my clients (including me) had claim issues when transitioning from group insurance to Medicare. In spite of handing our NEW card(s) to the provider claims still got sent to the old carrier. In my case I was supposedly non-renewed from Rachel's group plan in Nov before I transitioned (almost) fully to Medicare for January. Early claims went to the group carrier AND deductions for my share of the group premium were subtracted from her paycheck. It took almost 3 months to get this corrected.

Clients have had a similar issue.

Women who have legally changed their name (possibly more than once) have had challenges when it comes to enrolling in Medicare, SS or both. One client had to get a copy of her divorce decree from 20+ yrs ago and her subsequent marriage license before she could enroll in Medicare.

So yeah. My money is on something less than a smooth roll out of the new numbers. In addition to 10,000 or so new Medicare enrollee's every day (although I believe that number is embellished) there are about 55 million already on Medicare. That's a lot of cards (new and replacement) to print and distribute. Add in providers using old numbers and others having new numbers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Several of my clients (including me) had claim issues when transitioning from group insurance to Medicare. In spite of handing our NEW card(s) to the provider claims still got sent to the old carrier. In my case I was supposedly non-renewed from Rachel's group plan in Nov before I transitioned (almost) fully to Medicare for January. Early claims went to the group carrier AND deductions for my share of the group premium were subtracted from her paycheck. It took almost 3 months to get this corrected.

Women who have legally changed their name (possibly more than once) have had challenges when it comes to enrolling in Medicare, SS or both. One client had to get a copy of her divorce decree from 20+ yrs ago and her subsequent marriage license before she could enroll in Medicare.

So yeah. My money is on something less than a smooth roll out of the new numbers. In addition to 10,000 or so new Medicare enrollee's every day (although I believe that number is embellished) there are about 55 million already on Medicare. That's a lot of cards (new and replacement) to print and distribute. Add in providers using old numbers and others having new numbers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Thankfully, though, this will end identity theft once and for all. :skeptical:

Look on the bright side!

Thankfully, though, this will end identity theft once and for all.

Identity theft, where someone creates a "mini me" from a SSN is not a common form of crime. Much easier to scrape your credit card info and buy a big screen TV than create a new Scott.

Medical identity theft is big business. Having access to your Medicare number or insurance numbers is a gold mine. Medical providers are notoriously lax in security making it very easy for crooks to harvest thousands of records and go undetected for months. Throw in the fact that Medicare never looks for fraud until reported by consumers (who almost never check their MSN) and you have a system that is low hanging fruit.

More common use of SSN in a fraudulent manner is illegal aliens using the number wirh employers and crooks filing fake tax returns. Removing your SSN from your Medicare card is designed to make you feel like your number is now secure. Medical providers still want your SSN so they can track you down if you stiff them and they have to turn you over to a debt collector.

The idea that you can elminate identity theft "once and for all" is noble but won't really happen.

I would guess at least 30% of my clients had an ID number change in the last 12 months and none of them reported a claim issue. And I asked.

There's a 19 month window where both ID (SSN+ and new ID numbers) are supposed to work. The biggest issue is going to be "why did my BIL in Georgia get a card and where is mine?".

But I agree that's it going to do nothing for idenitity theft. However, most of my clients were thrilled that the ID number was going to change.

Bottom line...my clients know its coming and they are NOT allowed to panic if there are claim issues. They are just allowed to call me. ;)

I run into this a fair amount. My understanding is that employers update Medicare periodically with their census of covered employees so Medicare can track when to be primary or secondary. If that update includes someone who should have been removed then Medicare will not pay, waiting on the employer plan to pay first. Whenever a client tells me Medicare isn’t paying their claims this turns out to be the reason. They get it cleared up with one call to Medicare’s Coordination of Benefits office at 800-999-1118, informing them that their EGHP is gone. I give that number to clients a few times a year. It seems to clear it up and providers resubmit the claims.

As for the rollout of the new HICN, it will be an adjustment for those of us who enroll people into Medigap plans early by making an educated guess at their ID number.

Back