One of those Books that Changes Things for You

The old, "You wouldn't wanna buy life insurance would you?

I've used this a few times when I've gone up to a door and I have the wrong/old info. (They're deceased or have moved, etc) Actually works some of the time!

I just got a tip from Chris Westfall about a book he recommended. Its an easy read, but a powerful concept that has been shared before. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to jump-start their cold calling or prospecting.

"Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There."

Thanks Chris,:idea:

I hardly read any sales books anymore, although I devoured them previously. That being said, I read "Go for No" a year or so back and it put over $1,000 in my pocket immediately. I was hesitating to ask a client for more business, then I figured I would give him a chance to say no. I sold the an additional life policy that I didn't think I would get just by asking.

Of all the books I read, here are the four that had the biggest impact on my business:

1. Building a Financial Services Clientele (One Card System): This book taught me there is a system to building a business, instead of winging it and trying to get lucky. It's kind of like buying a franchise model to building a life insurance clientele.

2. You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar by David Sandler: This book combined with a 1 1/2 years in Presidents Club helped me to become a professional salesman and taught me there is a defined process to selling: Pain, Money, and Decision are the three critical elements along with making Up Front Contracts. It also made me proud to be in sales and to expect to be treated professionaly during the selling process.

3. Saturday Always Comes by Burt Meisel: The "Three Ways to Pay" presentation changed my life for the better in selling permanent life insurance. This is the best and simplest life insurance sales presentation out there. I also love Burt's take on doing what you need to do in a relaxed manner, knowing the work will pay off if you stay at it. Before Burt Meisel passed away, his column "Is this about insurance?" in Life Insurance Selling magazine was something I looked forward to reading each month. A lot of insight into the business.

4. High Touch Selling by John Savage: Two maing things I got from this book: 1. The "Three Circles" financial planning fact finding/presenation method. I use this all the time and clients get it. At annual reviews, I tell clients, "Let's update your circles." 2. The importance of annual reviews to build a sticky, loyal clientele.

I got all sorts of other things from reading other sales books, but those four had the biggest, most lasting impact on my business.

Last edited:
Back