Position Offered. Good or B.S ?

Re: Position Offered---Good or B.S???

I would be digging very hard into their appointment setting. For example, if they fell short one month on setting appointments, are you still responsible for your minimum by cold calling?

I fell for this a long time ago with an alarm company. Everything seemed very legit including that the company flew me down to FL, all expenses paid for one week of training. This was corporate, not residential alarm sales and they'd set all appointments. Minimum was 4 new accounts per month.

I got back from training and waited...and waited. After about 10 days they called with an appointment at a local car dealership. Upon arrival the manager told me to just leave the literature on the table. We talked and come to find my "appointment" was that I was coming by to drop off information.

After 2 weeks I was bottom lined: The successful reps didn't wait around for appointments, they created their own.

Be careful.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

To answer a couple of questions:

1) There (supposedly) was no "last guy". They're just opening up the market in my state, and I'd be the "first" guy for my region.

2) Supposedly what qualifies me, is my vast experience running teams of 1099 sales people, my history of building companies, my educational background and my 15 years of sales experience as a proven producer. I feel, and the hiring agent seemd to agree, that I've reached a point in my life where what I sell is merely a backdrop. I've sold a wide variety of tangible and intangibles and have always been successful. The interview was a grueling one, that lasted well over an hour. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but with my history, I'd hire me.

2) They supposedly will be building my team for me while I'm out in the field, though I am welcome to hire my own agents as well.

3) The training is only a week long...(?). But I did prove a fair knowledge of the product itself before being offered the position. Is there really THAT much to know? I can't imagine that it would be more involved than, say mortgage backed securities...(could be wrong)

And furthermore, why are they not able to recruit an experienced agent for this position?
If its all they say it is, then even 20+ year agents would be beating down the doors to get this position.... so why arent they??

Excellent point. I didn't even consider this. Is is possible that an experienced agent wouldn't want the position because there are no renewal commissions and the company keeps all the business?

I've asked for permission to speak to a couple of their other managers. The company's response will tell me a lot, I think.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and please keep it coming.

P.S--by my math, if the commission is true, then I'd only have to actually write one policy per week to make more than I'm making in my current job. But...that's kind of a big "if" it seems...

Last edited:

Doesn't seem like you have a lot to lose. If you're financially stable this will quickly be "it is what it is" after training, which his only a week.

After that week you'll quickly see if they're setting enough appointments. If so, I'd cut bait quickly.

1) There (supposedly) was no "last guy". They're just opening up the market in my state, and I'd be the "first" guy for my region.

Definitely talk to managers in other states then.

2) Supposedly what qualifies me, is my vast experience running teams of 1099 sales people, my history of building companies, my educational background and my 15 years of sales experience as a proven producer. I feel, and the hiring agent seemd to agree, that I've reached a point in my life where what I sell is merely a backdrop. I've sold a wide variety of tangible and intangibles and have always been successful. The interview was a grueling one, that lasted well over an hour. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but with my history, I'd hire me.

Fair enough.

3) I can't imagine that it would be more involved than, say mortgage backed securities...(could be wrong)

lol. no, its not. fair enough X2.

Excellent point. I didn't even consider this. Is is possible that an experienced agent wouldn't want the position because there are no renewal commissions and the company keeps all the business?

No. There are plenty of 20 year agents with dried up renewal streams and referral sources who would jump at $12K/month minimum.

Also, there are plenty of scared sh#tless health agents out there who are looking to exit the health side who would jump at the security that this job is promising.

I've asked for permission to speak to a couple of their other managers. The company's response will tell me a lot, I think.

Good idea. Let us know what they come back with.

But you said that you have a $24K/month min. Is this for your team, or for just you?

If its an individual requirement, does that go for the guys under you as well?
If its a team requirement, do the agents under you have minimum quotas?

Are you required to sell as a manager? Or do you just manage?

Last edited:

Here's the ultimate sniff test: If the interview is mostly about the "opportunity" it's a pass. If, however, the interview is mainly about you, your qualifications and what you bring to the table then it's a go. Are they checking your references? Are they waiting for you to take the position or are you waiting for them to let you know if you're been selected? Big difference.

If this is a real opportunity then you, by far, are not the only candidate for this job. They would be interviewing many people. Is that the case?

Last edited:

Here's the ultimate sniff test: If the interview is mostly about the "opportunity" it's a pass. If, however, the interview is mainly about you, your qualifications and what you bring to the table then it's a go. Are they checking your references? Are they waiting for you to take the position or are you waiting for them to let you know if you're been selected? Big difference.

If this is a real opportunity then you, by far, are not the only candidate for this job. They would be interviewing many people. Is that the case?

The interview was about 5 minutes of "this is the opportunity" and over an hour of me answering questions regarding my competencies/explaining my sales mentality, describing my experiences. After the interview, I was told that they had other candidates, and my information would be passed along to upper management and that they would contact me the following week to let me know "either way". The following week, I received a call stating that they had chosen me for the position.

Sounds very good. I'd take it. I think all you have to lose is a week in training. After that if it proves to be false promises then blow out.

But you said that you have a $24K/month min. Is this for your team, or for just you?

If its an individual requirement, does that go for the guys under you as well?
If its a team requirement, do the agents under you have minimum quotas?

Are you required to sell as a manager? Or do you just manage?

The $24k is simply to pass training, and it's just me. I do not believe the same quota applies to my reps (but I could be wrong). I am not required to sell as a manager, but I probably would simply to bank more cash. I'm told that because I'll be presenting to captive groups on requested appts, that $24k should be the bare minimum expectation.

The big issue that I see is that this is a new market for them, and yet they already have very high requirements for you. Let's say the $2400 avg premium is accurate for their established markets - how long have they been there? As we all know, it takes time to establish yourself in a new market. I've done some work in the educational market, and it is difficult to break into a market that has been well covered by other companies/agents for years. Gov't employees, almost by definition, have been there a long time, and they get used to seeing the same faces every month/quarter/year. When you are the new face, they are automatically suspicious. It takes time to get them comfortable - it doesn't matter how good your mouse trap is.

Back