Rebuttal to "I Have It from Work"

Re: Rebuttle to "I Have It from Work"

I like STI's approach......if they quit their job, or if their job quits them, what then? Which then you can ask them, "wouldn't you rather have 100% control of YOUR insurance?" If you can get the appointment you will most likely find out, like DHK mentioned, that they are grossly underinsured.

It's just another objection. Don't answer, ask another question right back.

1. How many different quotes did your work give you?
  2. They gave you plenty of options and walked you through a needs analysis and gave you just enough so you're not overpaying, right?
  3. How do you know you have the best rate?
  4. But you still have private insurance, right?
  5. How much insurance do you have that you actually control?

Those questions sound more like a 3rd degree interrogation designed to make me feel uncomfortable... with you.

You've got to win over the other person by showing that you care... not by saying how dumb they are to feel like everything is fine with work.

Let them self-discover their situation... don't beat it out of them.

But that's just my opinion. If it's working for you, keep doing it. Never stop doing something that's working.

Those questions sound more like a 3rd degree interrogation designed to make me feel uncomfortable... with you.

You've got to win over the other person by showing that you care... not by saying how dumb they are to feel like everything is fine with work.

Let them self-discover their situation... don't beat it out of them.

But that's just my opinion. If it's working for you, keep doing it. Never stop doing something that's working.

It's just one question to get them off guard. As soon as there's a moment of "Hmm, maybe I'm wrong," then it's time to jump in and show you care.

"Look Mr Prospect, there are many people in your same situation who have never been offered the right policy. I'd like to help."

Every sale must solve a need or want. Nobody wants. You have to establish some sort of need, then describe what benefits you offer.

Last edited:

Nobody cares what they need. EVERYBODY needs more life insurance, but until he recognizes the need and wants a solution your spinning your tires. Like dhk said, ask questions to lead them around to REALIZING it themselves, only then with their own answers can you ask them if taking time to explore a solution is desirable.
There's a reason why Socrates never told the students they were wrong...

Just remember,
"man loves more than anything to be told what to do, but he loves more to rebel against that same advice"
Carlos Castaneda

Yes, and the other billions you've made from cold calling too. :-)
The secret is out! :twitchy:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It's just another objection. Don't answer, ask another question right back.

1. How many different quotes did your work give you?
  2. They gave you plenty of options and walked you through a needs analysis and gave you just enough so you're not overpaying, right?
  3. How do you know you have the best rate?
  4. But you still have private insurance, right?
  5. How much insurance do you have that you actually control?

I don't grill them quite like that but I do tell them, "That's wonderful. it would be great if everybody had coverage where they work. But, you do realize that most group insurance is not in force when it is needed don't you? It seems the majority of the times whenever the family needs the coverage the most, the worker has either just changed jobs, gone on disability or retired. It would be a shame if that happened to you wouldn't it?

Last edited:

The secret is out! :twitchy:

I don't grill them quite like that but I do tell them, "That's wonderful. it would be great if everybody had coverage where they work. But, you do realize that most group insurance is not in force when it is needed don't you? It seems the majority of the times whenever the family needs the coverage the most, the worker has either just changed jobs, gone on disability or retired. It would be a shame if that happened to you wouldn't it?

No need to grill... ask one. It's just a list of possible questions. Always good to ask questions. All too often we talk to much in this business, yet we talk ourselves right out the door. Get them thinking, you'll have more time to think through it, too.
Nobody cares what they need. EVERYBODY needs more life insurance, but until he recognizes the need and wants a solution your spinning your tires. Like dhk said, ask questions to lead them around to REALIZING it themselves, only then with their own answers can you ask them if taking time to explore a solution is desirable.
There's a reason why Socrates never told the students they were wrong...

Just remember,
"man loves more than anything to be told what to do, but he loves more to rebel against that same advice"
Carlos Castaneda

You're correct, nobody cares what they need. But if they don't even realize there IS a need...they'll never want to find a solution for it either. I enjoy the philosophy here.

Last edited:
Keep it short and simple.

If I could show you an option that you like better than what you have...would you be open to discussing it?

Looking for a rebuttle for a life cold call to , ". I have it through work"

Great! I'm glad you have the company sponsored group term life they offer you.

2 quick questions and if I can't help you based on your response, I'll end the call and move onto my next call (staying busy always)

1. Most group plans are not portable, can you take it with you WHEN you are laid off, let go, fired or the company closes its doors?

2. Will this group plan provide a monthly income for your spouse, pay off your mortgage and any other debts you may have and send the children to college?

(always a no for both)

Mr./Mrs. Prospect, based on what you've told me it looks like you are potentially leaving your family vulnerable should the inevitable occur tomorrow. I'll be in your area Tuesday and Thursday. When are you and your significant other typically available for me to show you what you qualify for?

I called a new mortgage lead last week for $980,000. Spoke to the guy and set the appointment for his wife.

Went non-med, simplified issue for a 10 year $250,000 term ($1400AP on a 110% contract with AmAm) as they only had a 15 year mortgage. I promised her once the non-med policy was in force, I would come back for a fully underwritten $1,000,000 policy.

Lead cost: $0.10 cents. :laugh:

There's ALWAYS a need. Just have to ask simple quick questions to get people to realize they don't have all the answers and that you're friendly and helpful enough to care about them and their families to do something for them.

Back