Responses to Client Objections

A lot of agents spend too much time with people where there was no deal to begin with, they don't ask the right questions on the front end. A prospect has to have a problem, have an adequate budget to fix it, be able to make a decision, and be able to work with you. If you don't deal with these on the front end, you'll experience them on the backend like you're getting now. Mays well find out where you sit from the beginning.

I completely agree, and if you dont feel they really can afford it you need to adjust what you are selling (as stated in the first response i posted).
and you do need to do your best as a professional to make sure you qualify them properly on the front end, But i am sure anyone who has ever sold anything has gotten these objections after qualifying, and if you cant answer a couple objections you are not a REAL SALESPERSON.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ok, for all of you that are not "NEW" to the business and therefore live in the cushy world of residuals and overrides (like me), please stop and think before you criticize objections and responses as something for "call center telemarketers selling magazines".

you need to understand something, I am posting this for people selling Term life, FE, and the like....not annuities, Large UL, group health, etc. Obviously those are not applicable for that type of situation.

If you really think that there is no place for objections and responses in these markets than i say perfect, that must be why i walk in behind you and close long term clients 80% of the time. Please post where you work with your next comments about how you only like the lay down sales so i can focus my FIELD and TELESALES team on your market and increase sales even more.

Last edited:
Do you even sell anything??

Don't have to.

But I do help a fair number of people buy products from me on a regular basis.

I have offered quite a few insurance products over the years and never once got into a "selling" mode once I got away from managers and sales trainers. Once you understand people, and know how to communicate effectively, all the silly sales crutches are no longer necessary.

Don't have to.

But I do help a fair number of people buy products from me on a regular basis.

I have offered quite a few insurance products over the years and never once got into a "selling" mode once I got away from managers and sales trainers. Once you understand people, and know how to communicate effectively, all the silly sales crutches are no longer necessary.

AGREED!

All the objections that the OP listed showed that he skipped vital parts in the fact-finding process.

Never draw up a proposal and certainly never CLOSE on it until you understand the other person.

Also, be willing to admit that you may have some details that were incorrect. If you didn't review and confirm the data you collected and based the proposal on with the prospect, then you also screwed up the presentation/proposal stage.

The ONLY pressure you should use in a "close" is the silence while the prospect is evaluating what you are proposing.

the question really is How many objections should you attempt to overcome?

For me, it's one.

If there's several objections you don't have a sale, your just wasting your time. Leave gracefully with the option to come back later and go home and see your wife.

There is only one objection, money. It may come disguised as other things, but, it still just a disguise.

If you are giving them the coverage for free, they will not have to think about it nor will they have to talk to the kids about it.

I agree with most of the above comments, if an agent is getting a lot of "thinkers" than there is probobly something missing in the warm up, fact finding , presentation , ect..sometimes "LMTAI" is a buyers final ditch effort to aviod spending someting on a product that brings no immediate entertainment of pleasure.

The WORST thing that you can do when someone tries to buck you, is asking a question, or interogating them. "Rebutal" is something that you do when you are arguing , and you can't win an argument against the smartest or the dumbest client on earth. Here are a few "re-offers" that I make.

Client: "Can I think about it?"
Me: "sure man no problem , what kind of belt buckle is that you got hangin on the wall?" ..."oh cool my uncle was a muttonbuster....hey lemme show you one more thing that may be closer to what you're looking for" ....Show some smaller policies than the first time and shut up and let him take a look again.

Client: "How often are you in the area?" Me: "Not often enough to put this off any longer.... which plan are you lookin at?"

Client: "DO I need to make a desicion today?" Me: " yeah ....it's not like we get to hang out everyday ...which plan are you lookin at?"

Sometimes let me think about it means no. If that is the case then playing detective will not change that. Sometimes let me think about it means maybe , it depends on if you are going to let me off the hook or not.

There is only one objection, money

Get that out of the way early.

When I started in this business I was given two charges.

Find the need, find the money.

If you don't uncover both early on you do not have a client.

Very true! In my experience with FE and some of the lower end life policies, money is usually the only issue. I always go in with what fits thier needs, but its good to have a couple backup illustrations just if you have to whittle things down to fit what they want to pay.

I know agents that get in the home and are very pushy, confrontational, and basically won't leave until they close. Sure, they are writing a lot of business but they also have a terrible persistency rate and a lot of cancellations before the app even makes it to the carrier.

Who really likes a "salesman"?
I do not see the sense in trying to twist someone's arm to get them to book an appointment or buy an insurance policy. People generally do not want to be "sold", they want to feel that they have made the decision.

Back