Responses to Client Objections

Managers push rookie agents to make the appointment with anyone who will fog a mirror. No qualifying, just go for the appointment. Once you are in the door don't leave until they buy or call the cops.

Is it any wonder why we get such a bad rap.

This is part of the curse of "free" leads.

Once I got away from the managers thumb I never went on an appointment unless I had a qualified buyer on the other end. Still got stood up a few times, and had a few that just wanted to see what I had once I got there, but they were few and far between.

I get folks leading me down a path today but when it happens all I wasted was a little time on the phone, in my air conditioned office with a cool beverage nearby.

No suits, ties or traffic.

Rookies should watch two movies before they sign on to a career shop. Tin Men and Glengarry Glen Ross. Both illustrate the sleazy side of sales.

You can throw in Boiler Room as well if you don't mind a low budget film. For pure entertainment, Matchstick Men shows some cons you wont see in Tin Men.

But if you want to learn about perseverance and overcoming the odds, get Door to Door.

Managers push rookie agents to make the appointment with anyone who will fog a mirror. No qualifying, just go for the appointment. Once you are in the door don't leave until they buy or call the cops.

Is it any wonder why we get such a bad rap.

This is part of the curse of "free" leads.

Once I got away from the managers thumb I never went on an appointment unless I had a qualified buyer on the other end. Still got stood up a few times, and had a few that just wanted to see what I had once I got there, but they were few and far between.

I get folks leading me down a path today but when it happens all I wasted was a little time on the phone, in my air conditioned office with a cool beverage nearby.

Word. When I was stuggling at Waddell & Reed I asked the manager for help in finding leads and business. His answer, "get out the phone book and start calling".

No suits, ties or traffic.

My commute is from one end of the house to the other. Today is ratty old sweatshirt, jeans and a pair or reeboks.

Rookies should watch two movies before they sign on to a career shop. Tin Men and Glengarry Glen Ross. Both illustrate the sleazy side of sales.

You can throw in Boiler Room as well if you don't mind a low budget film. For pure entertainment, Matchstick Men shows some cons you wont see in Tin Men.

All great films. Don't be to hard on boiler room, there is some good acting in there

But if you want to learn about perseverance and overcoming the odds, get Door to Door.

+ infinity. Any person who can overcome cerebral palsy and not just sell door-to-door but become top salesman and be beloved by your community is a very rare person.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't trick someone in to buying without having them resent you for it. No witty questions, strong arm tactics, etc. The only time I would remotely pressure is if they had multiple kids and just refused to have ANY insurance. Then I feel like I need to piss them off even if that means they go somewhere else for the coverage.

There is no such thing as closing in this business. Even when I use the term it's simply sales terminology.

But I will go head to head with anyone here that no one can be closed. Reason? They can cancel at will.

You can "close" any sale that becomes final. You can't return car a month later. You can't return that patio enclosure. Those are examples of when high pressure tactics can actually work.

Not so in this business. You're either selling someone your client wants and needs or it'll lapse. If they don't need or want it it won't lapse 20% of the time or 40%. It'll lapse 100% of the time.

You don't even have to employ high pressure tactics. You can have the kind of personality where people are drawn to you. You can simply say all the right things during the presentation and they'll sign. That typically lasts for the first 3 payments - then your charm wears off if they don't believe there's value in the product.

Last edited:

That is so true.

Every new agent is told to just get the appointment at any cost. It's the old "get your foot in the door" concept. That there is something in their briefcase that they will buy. All the agent has to do is find it.

I fell for that when I first started. It is a huge waste of time.

I also only set an appointment when I feel that I have at least a 90% chance of making a sale, otherwise I don't go. I'm the one who determines whether or not I set the appointment, not the prospect.

Going on "Medicare Reviews" is not a productive way of selling Med Supp policies. When I show up at their door they know that I'm there to fill out an app and get a check. Otherwise I don't go.

On the 1st objection tell them that it is sustained and continue with your presentation.

If they object a second time, tell them that it is "duly noted" for the record, and proceed.

If there is a 3rd objection, immediately demand the first month's premium for whatever product that you are selling.

Back