So - I've Received Notification that my Pre-ACA Policy is Cancelled

I think it falls along the lines of "eat your own cooking".

Most successful agents own the product, that they sell for a living. If not, how can you look at a prospect in the face and say they should buy your product.

Usually, we don't have to talk a fellow agent into staying covered in a GI world.

Come on.........Be part of the solution......... :D

My plan getting cancelled and my children ages 9, 12 and 14 on it and if you think I'm going to get on a subsidy plan and drink that Jim Jones Kool Aid or lead anybody to drink the Jim Jones Kool Aid you better think again you're living in a fantasy world there mr GI. But if you've already participated in the ceremony it's a little tough to backtrack. I received my call from HHS on a Saturday and the answer was for me to go to the broken website and drink. Not me brother

Apply during open enrollment beginning 11/15/14 for a new plan starting 1/1/15. Your new plan is considered affordable if under 9.5% of your income. That's not my definition that's the government definition. Older plans didn't cover as much and denied sick people. Now you pay higher rates unless you are lower income.

The problem now is most consumers don't feel paying up to 9.5% is their fair share particularly if on older plans that only took very healthy people and didn't cover as much.

Apply during open enrollment beginning 11/15/14 for a new plan starting 1/1/15. Your new plan is considered affordable if under 9.5% of your income. That's not my definition that's the government definition. Older plans didn't cover as much and denied sick people. Now you pay higher rates unless you are lower income.

The problem now is most consumers don't feel paying up to 9.5% is their fair share particularly if on older plans that only took very healthy people and didn't cover as much.

9.5% is waaaay more than most people in the individual market were paying. Add to that the fact that the self-employed kick in both sides of the SS contribution & Medicare contribution in the form of self-employment tax, we're already on the ropes. I don't need an "employer style" health plan - I only need catastrophic & don't feel I should pay $400/mo for it. Call me crazy - but that's a car payment. My older plan covered what I needed, so . . .there was no problem to be "fixed".

I don't disagree with you but one party and president has mandated otherwise. Comply or pay double the fine for 2015! I think they should have left the old plans alone but this is largely a business decision from the carriers to cancel these plans more than a government issue. In most states...

No, - I'm 56. That's the rate. You must not be in this market. My health history has nothing to do with this rate - since all are guaranteed issue - remember? You have no right to tell me about what investment is or isn't worth it. As I recall - I've given you referrals in Fla - maybe I should re -think that. . . .

A. We have never even exchanged message or emails, let alone referrals

B. I took the time to look up rates in Kansas City for new plans, quoted what was provided, and it came out that you were in your 60's. if you live in an area with a higher community rating then your rate is higher at a younger age, that's pretty straight forward and has nothing to do with health history. My comment about your health history was more based on 'how can you not have health insurance with your health history?'

C. I don't want your referrals and don't need them, I've reached the point where I turn business down sometimes because I have a good sized book and can only support so many.

D. I don't really care what you do, if you think being a health insurance broker means not spending an extra $100 a month on yourself while enrolling other people dealing with the same unfortunate decision, enjoy yourself, I don't work that way.

E. I gave my opinion to a publicly posted thread, if you don't like it then don't post stuff about yourself.

Last edited:
Your new rate is what percentage of your income? Don't answer but I will assume your income is up there.

I don't think your new rate is that bad. Remember your rate is higher now because it is community rated and guaranteed issue and a more robust policy.

You can now switch carriers every year and no one can deny you. Shop it out 11/15/14.

Also whoever suggested the HSA is right on that's how you combat this increase and position better for future years. Obviously you can fund the HSA at your income level. Take the deduction.

OMG.. the latter pages of this thread depict Insurance Agents coaxing a hesitant, unsure consumer in the right direction!

CadyLou is an experienced agent. He knows that he needs to do exactly what he's advised hundreds of clients to do over the years.
ac

You obviously weren't paying attention to Pres. AWOL when he said your premiums would be less than your phone bill.

I'm probably going to regret asking, but Cadylou, how long have you been selling IFP coverage?

Then my phone bill is going up 64%.

Cadylou, I have a high deductible HSA, and I'm about your age. My premium was $332 for just me alone, and is going to $535. On a $5,000 deductible HSA ($10k per family)! That is just my portion. I also have a husband and 4 children. Our family premiums are outlandish.

I look at it this way. Thank God I'm not subsidized. I can make enough money to pay the extra premium. Being insured is better than the alternative.

Back